Introducing Double D - The World's Fastest 2P?

R-Type

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2011
Well I finally got my latest 2P build buttoned up and overclocked with tremendous help from Patriot and Tear. At the current settings this thing is chewing through WU's and putting down some pretty tidy tpf's, but first the specs. :)

Duo Dowrecka
Tyan S8230GM4NR
2x ESpanol Dodeca Magny Cours
2x CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ w/ Scythe AP-15 push/pull
Norco RPC-470
8x2gb DDR3 1333
Silverstone Strider Gold 750
14 other miscellaneous fans

The heart of the system is an open box Tyan 2P board and a couple of extra spicy dodecas paired up with spare ram from some recent deals. When I needed a heatsink to power the system up I grabbed a spare Hyper 212 and found the stock bracket can be modded very quickly for G34. The resulting combo is fantastic performance for the money and both firedfly and I have been running them for months without issue.

The Norco RPC-470 is an absolutely mammoth case that lends itself very nicely to wind tunnel like airflow and is regularly available for $70-80. Unfortunately, it's 4U form factor means that it doesn't accommodate tower coolers like the Hyper 212.... not out of the box at least. You can see my solution to this problem below, its certainly not the prettiest mod I've done but it is functional as hell. Even loaded with a total of 18 fans, the wide range of rpm's and fan size turn the sound into nothing but white noise.

The system is currently clocked at 3.2ghz @ 1.312v with the northbridge overclocked to 2.2ghz. With DLB kicked in, this makes the system good for a 28:11 tpf on 6904 and pulls down a very healthy 290k ppd. :cool: At full load folding temps max at 59C and power draw is about 520w at the wall.

When I get some more time I am going to look into further NB overclocks and flashing some better ram to see if I can break the 300k ppd. :D

For now some pictures.
9Ap9C.jpg

yEVjF.jpg

dBmZu.jpg

Vq63d.jpg

t1N3S.jpg

AZEET.jpg

eKbAs.jpg

6X12n.jpg

As always, suggestions and feedback welcome!

Wow sweet! i see there are 3 120mm intake fans, 3 exhaust a 120 and 2 80's or 90's ? Are those center fans needed?

Thanks for all the kind words! I had plans to make it cleaner than what you see but the desire to get it online as quickly as possible won out in the end.

Wow sweet! i see there are 3 120mm intake fans, 3 exhaust a 120 and 2 80's or 90's ? Are those center fans needed?
Yes the intake fans are 3x 120's and the exhaust is 2x 80's, 1x 120, 1x slot blower, and the 140 in the PSU if you want to count that. The center fans came with the case and do make an appreciable difference in the speed of air moving through the system so I left them in. Aside from the GT AP-15's on the hsf's, all of the fans in this were just randoms that I had collected so it may not be as optimized as it could be. In particular I could probably benefit from some faster 80's in the rear but that shouldn't be an issue until next summer.

What the hell? Is that Intel HSF the chipset cooler? :eek:
Yep, have to use those things for something. ;)

For a normal bigadv comparison point, the box pulls a 9:26 tpf on 6901 for 170k ppd. Power draw and heat are a bit lower with the regular units too but I don't remember exactly what the numbers were, Stanford has been feeding it a regular diet of 6904's lately. :)

Last edited:
What the hell? Is that Intel HSF the chipset cooler? :eek:
haha yes. I think many of us G34 users have discovered the southbridge overheats under load. I just set a 80mm fan on top of the stock heatsinks on mine, but I like R-Type's solution better.

Sweet rig R-Type. I can hear Patriot's blood boiling over the "Fastest 2p" claim though. When he was "only" running 2P he had his up pretty high too. :)

Sweet rig R-Type. I can hear Patriot's blood boiling over the "Fastest 2p" claim though. When he was "only" running 2P he had his up pretty high too. :)

Yes Patriot's 2p was close, 3.1ghz I believe.

The surprising thing is how much performance improved with the NB overclock. With the cpu's at 3.2ghz, taking the NB from stock 1.8 up to 2.2ghz dropped the 6901 tpf from around 11 min flat down to 9:26. This makes sense as with the cpu's running 60% over stock speed, the stock memory controller likely becomes a much bigger bottleneck. I am going to play around and see if I can get 2.4ghz stable on the NB for additional gains.

oh snap. sounds like I need to work on a NB overclock on my 4p. how do you do that?

oh snap. sounds like I need to work on a NB overclock on my 4p. how do you do that?

Unfortunately it requires the same breed of chips that also allow multiplier overclocks, the standard retail chips are pinned down.

Unfortunately it requires the same breed of chips that also allow multiplier overclocks, the standard retail chips are pinned down.
I was afraid of that. That sucks.

We need Tear to work his ninja on these Tyan mobos to allow base clock adjustments. That would allow both CPU speed as well as NB speed tweaking. Sfield seemed to see pretty impressive results on his supermicro when he bumped up the base clock speed.

Yes Patriot's 2p was close, 3.1ghz I believe.

The surprising thing is how much performance improved with the NB overclock. With the cpu's at 3.2ghz, taking the NB from stock 1.8 up to 2.2ghz dropped the 6901 tpf from around 11 min flat down to 9:26. This makes sense as with the cpu's running 60% over stock speed, the stock memory controller likely becomes a much bigger bottleneck. I am going to play around and see if I can get 2.4ghz stable on the NB for additional gains.

I had 3.2 on a cold day but never got 3.3 or 3.4 stable... tfp was real pretty though...

anyhow 6903/4 were not out yet so you have this fair and square....besides....why would I have issues with this lol...

Really? has someone with a locked chip tried to mess with nb using tpc?

I had 3.2 on a cold day but never got 3.3 or 3.4 stable... tfp was real pretty though...

anyhow 6903/4 were not out yet so you have this fair and square....besides....why would I have issues with this lol...

Really? has someone with a locked chip tried to mess with nb using tpc?

I'd certainly hope you wouldn't have an issue with it as you helped facilitate it's creation.:p

There is a command you can run in TPC to report the maximum NB multi for your chip, I'll pull it from irc logs when I get home tonight.

you got the better pair of chips I bet you could go higher...

you got the better pair of chips I bet you could go higher...

Yes I think they have a bit more room left, however the following considerations have kept me from pushing core clock higher.

- With the dust filter case front shut, temps currently hit around 61C on the hot chip. I would like to keep some thermal headroom for hot days and an eventual HD loadout in the case.

- As it stands now, I'm only about 75mv over the vcore that AMD applies to a 6180. In the interest of having the mobo last a few years I don't want to overcurrent the vrm's too badly

- each step of 100 mhz seems to buy me about 40-45 seconds on 6904 tpf, by comparison the NB increases registered impacts in the minutes.

For these reasons I am going to pursue the higher NB clock and perhaps flashed memory before I work on further cpu speed increases. As it stands now I think the clock is a good balance of power draw, heat, and vcore to provide a long term stable folding rig.

I approve of this build brother R-Type, well done.

You've squeezed an incredible amount of performance out of that rig. Very nicely done! I give most of the credit to the PCI exhaust fan. :p

With the case top on, your rig reminds me of this...

Soon.jpg

This is freaking awesome, well done.

Dead Things, kyle doesn't like n-c-i-x so your link doesn't work.

Haha, I had not made that connection. Firedfly would certainly agree however that the Hyper 212+ is the George Clooney of heatsinks.

When I was deciding how to handle the top, I envisioned the protrusions more like hood vents or a supercharger cowl. Unfortunately the final product exudes none of these qualities. I do wish that Norco offered the 470 in black like they do some of their smaller cases, the naked galvanized steel isn't my favorite aesthetic.

And yes, the pci slot blower is likely single handedly responsible for the cooling performance. :p If anyone has recommendations for some more powerful 80mm fans that won't deafen me (ideally thicker than 25mm and less than 3000 rpms) it would be much appreciated.

Tobit, good to see you back on the boards. I am assuming you will be taking this as a challenge to build a monster competitor for the crown?

Tobit, good to see you back on the boards. I am assuming you will be taking this as a challenge to build a monster competitor for the crown?
Maybe but 11/11/11 will be here soon and I still haven't built a gaming rig for the special day yet.

Maybe but 11/11/11 will be here soon and I still haven't built a gaming rig for the special day yet.

I hear ya, I've already informed the SO I will be taking a mental vacation in the world of Skyrim for a month or two. The timing of this build completion is actually driven by my plan to closeout all open projects before the game hits.

I hear ya, I've already informed the SO I will be taking a mental vacation in the world of Skyrim for a month or two. The timing of this build completion is actually driven by my plan to closeout all open projects before the game hits.
I just ordered a 3GB GTX580* and a 60GB SSD for the game so at least I can play it on my current PC if I am not able to finish the new build before 11/11.

* With mods, I was always pushing VRAM on Oblivion hard thus the decision to go with a card with 3GB. I expect Skyrim, once mods start coming out, will be similar.

here are a few fans. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999616 this one would need a fan controller http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999612 had one of these back pentium 3 days keep fingers out as they wll cut the hell out of you.

Thanks, I think I may go with a pair of one of these two as it will avoid the need for a fan controller.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de80ef1.html
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa80hisp.html

So 290K ppd for 520W...pretty good actually, probably right in line with my quad octo @ 2.4GHz and a little worse than my quad dodecas in terms of ppd/W. If only ES MC dodecas weren't as rare as hens' teeth...

My 4x6172 puts out about 410k ppd (p6904) and is in that range for power consumption. I'm quite impressed with the ppd you are getting from those two chips.

It's also very cool how you were able to wrangle the 212's into that case :D

So 290K ppd for 520W...pretty good actually, probably right in line with my quad octo @ 2.4GHz and a little worse than my quad dodecas in terms of ppd/W. If only ES MC dodecas weren't as rare as hens' teeth...

I think with the number of chickens raised annually there may actually be a higher statistical probability of finding a mutated example with teeth than finding extra spicy magny's. I wouldn't have been able to come by these without the help from one of the [H]orde.

Given the solid scaling on Magny Cores, I'm really curious to see if I could match a 4p 1.7ghz dodeca 4p with this system at 3.4ghz. PPD/W would certainly be worse but I think the cost delta for the smaller system would be larger than any difference in electricity cost.

What does the ES acronym mean in this context? That is a very nice system!

Back