Amazon's $199 Kindle Fire Tablet Unveiled

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, the Amazon Kindle Fire is rather impressive for a $199 device don't you think?

How's about a 7-inch IPS (!) panel, Gorilla Glass coating, a dual-core CPU and a chassis that weighs 14.6 ounces. There's also access to things you'd expect to have access to: Android Appstore, Kindle books, magazines, etc. -- all stored for free via Amazon Cloud Storage. Per Jeff: "Delete it and get it back when you want." Oh, and Whispersync now works with movies and TV shows! "When you get home, switch to your big screen TV. Your movie will be right where you left it."

Whispersync with movies and shows is a great selling point. Love it for books. Pre-ordered, early Christmas present for me.

2 bills for a decent dual core tablet. It's about time. I'm sold.

WiFi Only
8GB Storage
No 3G/4G

It's a good start, but I'll pass until more storage and 3G/4G is available.

I wonder if the mini USB port is just for charging or if you can plug in an external drive with an adapter. I'm disappointed there's no MicroSD slot on this tablet for storage expansion, seeing how there's no 3G support. You wouldn't be able to access Amazon Cloud Service unless you're at a WiFi location.

I'll wait for the 10 inch version.

Also, wheres the complainers pissed about how everything is tied to Amazon?

Sounds better than a nook color. You think at $199 they're making any money on hardware?

I'm in for one. Will make a good Xmas present for the wife.

I'll wait for the 10 inch version.

Also, wheres the complainers pissed about how everything is tied to Amazon?

I see nothing wrong with that. I'm a long time iPhone users and I have nothing against apps being tied to iTunes. It's convenient, like Steam and games. Format your phone/tablet/computer and you can grab your things again online very easily.

Sounds better than a nook color. You think at $199 they're making any money on hardware?

I'm thinking the same. But Amazon has an advantage that other tablets don't have. Their services. Amazon can sell the Kindle at a loss and can more than make up for it with services tied to it. Selling songs and books and apps through Amazon Store.

Cons:
No SD slot. No mic. No camera. Dated OS. Blutooth?

Pros:
Cheap?

I'm getting a Transformer 2.

I'm thinking the same. But Amazon has an advantage that other tablets don't have. Their services. Amazon can sell the Kindle at a loss and can more than make up for it with services tied to it. Selling songs and books and apps through Amazon Store.

I'm visualizing a dystopian world where you either use Amazon Google Android or Apple iOS. No way B&N can compete with Amazon willing to make pennies on the hardware.

The lack of an SD Slot is the only thing keeping me away. Also the #1 complaint from iPad users.

Amazon wasn't paying attention. But I still love them :)

Serious question. Why do you guys want an SD slot? I don't have an SD slot on my Nexus S or on my HP Touchpad and have never missed it, in fact my last two phones have had an SD card slot and I've never used it.

Also I don't know what I'd use a camera or microphone on a tablet for but I think the lack of a physical volume rocker is a really big deal.

If I hadn't of gotten a Touchpad in the fire sale I'd be all over this. It will be interesting to see if/when there will be an Ice Cream Sandwich port.

I see nothing wrong with that. I'm a long time iPhone users and I have nothing against apps being tied to iTunes. It's convenient, like Steam and games. Format your phone/tablet/computer and you can grab your things again online very easily.

Same. But it's a typical "Anything but Apple" talking point, along with Nook lovers. It's something I basically ignore now, along with "It's Open Source" it means nothing if you aren't a programmer or hip enough to know how to find mods or verify that they are safe.

Serious question. Why do you guys want an SD slot? I don't have an SD slot on my Nexus S or on my HP Touchpad and have never missed it, in fact my last two phones have had an SD card slot and I've never used it.

Also I don't know what I'd use a camera or microphone on a tablet for but I think the lack of a physical volume rocker is a really big deal.

If I hadn't of gotten a Touchpad in the fire sale I'd be all over this. It will be interesting to see if/when there will be an Ice Cream Sandwich port.

Well for the most part, an SD slot would justify spending little on tablet with smaller drives. In this case, the drive's already small at 8gb. My iPhone 3Gs has 16gb and it's just about full, so I can't see myself using 8.

Well for the most part, an SD slot would justify spending little on tablet with smaller drives. In this case, the drive's already small at 8gb. My iPhone 3Gs has 16gb and it's just about full, so I can't see myself using 8.

This is supposed to be an ereader, not an ipad, though.

Looks about what I expected on paper. I'm sure Amazon will sell a ton of these, good price, might get one of these when I hear more about them.

I'm guessing this thing doesn't have bluetooth, correct? I'd like to try a tablet @ $200 that has android, touch screen and must support headset/microphone for bluetooth. I'd like to drop an adroid sip/vpn client on this...WIFI only is OK.

There is no reason for either Amazon or Apple to put an SD slot on their hardware. You think they actually want you sideloading anything of your own on the tablet? The entire point of this hardware is to be a platform to expand the Amazon media ecosystem. They want their content, that you paid them for on it.

Also would be all over this if I hadn't picked up a Touchpad earlier.

I know hardly anyone needs it, but I can't imagine it adding that much to the overall cost... I really wanted this to have an IR emitter and receiver so it could be used as a HTPC remote. Seriously, integration of a tablet into your home theater where it acts as a media hub would be so sweet, and $200 for a really nice tablet would be a great price to get one. Yes, I know there are a few tablets that have IR but none that are really quality devices.

No mic (I never wanted one on a tablet), No 3G/4G (I never wanted this either), No SD slot (8GB internal is fine. Never filled a phone with anywhere near that much), No Camera (My phone has one, why do I need another?).

It's 200$ without a contact = I'm sold.

This + Plex = very happy girlfriend...

My only question is, how would the device handle using two different amazon accounts? I have about 200 apps in my account, but she has prime on hers.

This + Plex = very happy girlfriend...

My only question is, how would the device handle using two different amazon accounts? I have about 200 apps in my account, but she has prime on hers.

Have her share her prime with you. It's supposed to be for family members within the same household, but i've shared my prime with my parents on the other side of the country.

Great price, but only 512mb and no way to go beyond 8gb.

Hopefully the next version will sport 1gb ram and bigger storage.

Amazon marketing has said this is aimed directly to the iPad, Playbook, and any other tablets on the market.

I know hardly anyone needs it, but I can't imagine it adding that much to the overall cost... I really wanted this to have an IR emitter and receiver so it could be used as a HTPC remote. Seriously, integration of a tablet into your home theater where it acts as a media hub would be so sweet, and $200 for a really nice tablet would be a great price to get one. Yes, I know there are a few tablets that have IR but none that are really quality devices.

Just use the WiFi and get this http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal-remotes/devices/harmony-link

If I didn't already have my Nook Color, I'd be all over this. It is lighter and more powerful. Given the choice, I'd like an SD card slot, but I can live without it and I understand why Amazon chose not to put one in.

But, it's not really a competitor to the iPad, and I'll tell you why:
No 3G
No camera

Those are deal killers for many people who are in the market for an iPad. I don't care about 3g because my phone has wifi hotspot capability, and I have no use for a cheesy cell-phone quality camera (and if I want one, I can use the one on my phone).

This is a great price for a great product, but for me not having a camera is a deal breaker. Face time with my niece is the most important function I am looking for in a device like this. I hope it at least causes price drops in other devices and I am sure the people who have no such need will enjoy this thing immensely. It even makes the HP Touchpad deal not look as hot as it was.

Looks like a great little device for $200.00. I'm going to pass, as I already have what I want in tablets. But this means tablets are becoming more accessible for a wider audience. Just a matter of time before we start seeing other big names produce sub $200.00 tablets. Maybe even Apple :)

The tablet war is a fierce one, but it's a win-win for the consumer!

Back