Fire at Foxconn Plant Extinguished

HardOCP News

[H] News
Everyone please remain calm, the raging fire at Foxconn is now under control! According to the article, operations are unaffected and iPhone production continues. Hell, this is Foxconn we're talking about here, they were probably still making iPhones during the fire. Anyone else notice the complete lack of fire alarms / sirens during the video?

A fire at a plant belonging to Apple Inc supplier Foxconn Group in Shandong, eastern China, has been extinguished without casualties and there will be no impact on operations, said a spokesman for group's listed entity Hon Hai Precision Industry Co Ltd .

i bet they just had a bunch of workers lay down on the fire to smother it out. i mean no reason to waste valuable water or anything

Just for clarification, Apple is just one customer out of many:

Apple Inc. (United States)[16]
Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
Amazon.com (United States)[17]
Asus (Taiwan)
ASRock (Taiwan)
Intel (United States)
Cisco (United States)
Hewlett-Packard (United States)[18]
Dell (United States)
Nintendo (Japan)
Nokia (Finland)[16]
Microsoft (United States)
MSI (Taiwan)
Motorola (United States)
Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)[19]
Vizio (United States)

"Anyone else notice the complete lack of fire alarms / sirens during the video?"

So a guy standing maybe a kilometer from the fire should hear the fire alarms in the buildings ? And sirens, well if the fire trucks were far away, or already there, then you usually don't hear the sirens. What is the point of having fire trucks making noise used for notifying the cars on the road to let you through to be on when you are already arrived ?

Where are the nets??

on fire....

Heh, the added benefit of a rooftop fire....no one will be jumping off that roof until it is rebuilt. :D

So a guy standing maybe a kilometer from the fire should hear the fire alarms in the buildings ? And sirens, well if the fire trucks were far away, or already there, then you usually don't hear the sirens. What is the point of having fire trucks making noise used for notifying the cars on the road to let you through to be on when you are already arrived ?

:rolleyes:

All the alarms in every building should be going off...and he is only 100ft from the buildings....and a facility that has 1.2 million workers should have its own Fire Dept.

It's all fun and games until the fire gets out of control! Maybe they don't need sirens anymore since their million robots won't have ears!

foxconn_workers-660x436.jpg

Which was my original point....the lack of alarms / sirens :rolleyes:

No. What i meant is what is standard for you is not standard elsewhere. For example here in my country, what usually happens when there is a fire is a notification about evacuation through the internal communication system in the building. In the building you can hear it, people leave the building - but that doesn't mean it has to be sirens. No need for loud sirens, to wake up every sleeping child in 5km radius - people who needs to be notified are notified in nice, human way (something like "Please leave the building immediately..."), no need for loud noises.

"Anyone else notice the complete lack of fire alarms / sirens during the video?"

Alarms? Sirens? Oh hell no! We don't want alarms and sirens distracting workers from making iPhones. :rolleyes:

on fire....

Heh, the added benefit of a rooftop fire....no one will be jumping off that roof until it is rebuilt. :D

:rolleyes:

All the alarms in every building should be going off...and he is only 100ft from the buildings....and a facility that has 1.2 million workers should have its own Fire Dept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn#Foxconn_City

Hon Hai's first manufacturing plant in Mainland China opened in Longhua, Shenzhen in 1988.[5] Now the company's largest operation, 300,000[10] to 450,000[2] workers are employed in Shenzhen at the Longhua Science & Technology Park, a cramped, walled campus[5] sometimes referred to as "Foxconn City"[11] or "iPod City".[12] Covering about 1.16 square miles (3 square km),[13] it includes 15 factories,[11] worker dormitories, a swimming pool,[14] a fire brigade,[5] and a downtown complete with a grocery store, bank, restaurants, bookstore, and hospital.[5] While some workers live in surrounding towns and villages, others live and work inside the complex,[15] which broadcasts its own television network, Foxconn TV.[5]

Just for clarification, Apple is just one customer out of many:

Apple Inc. (United States)[16]
Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
Amazon.com (United States)[17]
Asus (Taiwan)
ASRock (Taiwan)
Intel (United States)
Cisco (United States)
Hewlett-Packard (United States)[18]
Dell (United States)
Nintendo (Japan)
Nokia (Finland)[16]
Microsoft (United States)
MSI (Taiwan)
Motorola (United States)
Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)[19]
Vizio (United States)

Who do work for :p

Wonder if all the workers were even notified of a issue. I personally found out our building had been evacuated once for a gas leak only by the fact I had gone outside for a lunch break. Wondering why everyone was outside, I was told at that time it was ok to go back in now.
Told the guy well that's just dandy, I'll let the others inside know they can stay at there desks.
No one told the help desk that the building was evacuated and we just kept on working. I remember being fairly pissed off about the situation. Thanks Micron.

i bet they just had a bunch of workers lay down on the fire to smother it out. i mean no reason to waste valuable water or anything

This is why no alarm was heard on the tape. The alarm only goes off in the nursery. No reason to throw capable factory workers on the fire when they can smother it with their children and keep them working.

Maybe in USA. That is China.

Not even in USA. At least the last time when I was in a fire drill, I did not hear alarm sounding off in adjacent buildings. When I was in college, fire alarm did not sound in adjacent buildings either when there was a fire in my building.

This is why no alarm was heard on the tape. The alarm only goes off in the nursery. No reason to throw capable factory workers on the fire when they can smother it with their children and keep them working.

Don't be silly, children usually have a higher body/fat ratio than adults, this would only make the fire spread.

some of the girls in that photo are smokin...

I wouldn't be standing there shooting that video. I'd get the hell away. The air must be toxic as hell to breathe.

How do you know that it wasn't the workers that caught on fire spontaneously from overworking?

The pic is quite staged tho.
Only young, healthy(sorta), i <3 foxconn people with makeup in it makes it a wee bit obvious.
/meh, pr is what pr is.

Bloodhound gang was doing a concert locally-

"The roof the roof the roof is on fire
The roof the roof the roof is on fire
The roof the roof the roof is on fire
We don't need no water let the motherf**BEEP** burn
Burn motherfu**BEEP** burn!"

Back