Apple Stock Falls on Report of iPad Supply Slowdown

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Apple's stock has dropped after reports surfaced that the company is cutting iPad orders by 25%.

Apple Inc shares fell as much as 3.3 percent Monday following an analyst report that said the company was cutting orders from suppliers of parts for its iPad tablet. JPMorgan Chase said in the research note out of Asia that several suppliers indicated in the past two weeks that Apple lowered fourth-quarter iPad orders by 25 percent.

Interesting. You do have to kind of wonder with the global economy the way it is at the just how much more demand can really grow for a media tablet with a baseline price of $500. And then in the next year there's more competition on the way. Apple will do just great but with more competition and a struggling world economy I think that even Apple will see slower times ahead.

So far, competition hasn't meant shit.

My thoughts are pretty typical. It's time for a next-gen iPad, and it's time to slow down/clear out the current supply chain. Last thing you want to do is announce a new one with high sell-through levels of the current one.

I don't see a real mystery here.

It's time for a next-gen iPad, and it's time to slow down/clear out the current supply chain.

A quote from the article:

"Our understanding is that this is not in preparation for a new model launch," said Gokul Hariharan, JP Morgan's Asia Pacific electronic manufacturing services analyst.

The iPad isn't even 7 months old, you won't see a new one until late Q1 early Q2 2012. Amazon is launching it's tablet in two days, we'll see how that goes, probably some of the stiffest competition the iPad has seen to date and then there's Windows 8 in the wings. The competitive landscape for the iPad is going to get tougher though I agree that's not so much the case now, though I do wonder if $99 Touchpads didn't hurt some. And again, in a global economic downturn really just how much demand is there for a $500 media tablet?

The iPad is going to be fine, but I think that it's sales are just going to slow because of reality, not a slam on the device at all.

You also have to take into account that there isn't an endless supply of people that are going to buy a product like that.

The closer an item gets to market saturation, the smaller the demand for the item bought at retail is going to be.

This is called milking the cow until it has no more to give. They drop production 25%, create artificial demand for a lower priced 1st generation that a lot of people would still want, profit ++

Interesting. I was shocked at how high intial demand was for these. It really is a cool toy and perhaps a bit more, but for $500? It's too high of a price point (imo) to keep releasing new iterations that everyone jumps on; the $200 subsidized iPhone cost is probably about as high as you can go with that model, particularly in this economy.

apple i have one thing to say;

*points*
Haaaa Haaaaa!

I always said

Apple great execution.
But no followthrough.

Apple IIe-awesome
Then Apple III- flop
Apple Mac - win
Apple 68000 end of life - FLOP FAIL
Apple Power PC - Miserable failure
The you had the apple flavor series Remember the grape- short lived success

The only thing that saved apple was the iPod.
iPhone came alone, iPod sales are now flopping

Apple - closed system - expensive hardware
Everybody else - open system cheap hardware

Like I always said, they always fall on their face with no follow through. Once this iPad things fades to Android and windows 8, they will once again fall to small mediocrity.

I always said

Apple great execution.
But no followthrough.

Apple IIe-awesome
Then Apple III- flop
Apple Mac - win
Apple 68000 end of life - FLOP FAIL
Apple Power PC - Miserable failure
The you had the apple flavor series Remember the grape- short lived success

The only thing that saved apple was the iPod.
iPhone came alone, iPod sales are now flopping

Apple - closed system - expensive hardware
Everybody else - open system cheap hardware

Like I always said, they always fall on their face with no follow through. Once this iPad things fades to Android and windows 8, they will once again fall to small mediocrity.
have to agree. The Ipad is a hyped up netbook at twice or more the cost.
Netbook screen=10.1 Ipad screen=10.1
Netbook memory and hard drive=500 +1g Ipad memory=16 gigs or sd,pay icloud
Netbook physical keyboard Ipad virtual keyboard or pay for docking
Netbook wifi Ipad wifi
Netbook screen protection(lid) Ipad no screen protection, pay extra
Price=$239 approx.:D Price=$599 :eek:
Or close to this.

have to agree. The Ipad is a hyped up netbook at twice or more the cost.
Netbook screen=10.1 Ipad screen=10.1
Netbook memory and hard drive=500 +1g Ipad memory=16 gigs or sd,pay icloud
Netbook physical keyboard Ipad virtual keyboard or pay for docking
Netbook wifi Ipad wifi
Netbook screen protection(lid) Ipad no screen protection, pay extra
Price=$239 approx.:D Price=$599 :eek:
Or close to this.

A lot of people aren't seeing the price, they are seeing the usability. Replacing the iPod was relatively easy, most people got gen 1, then the people who didn't get gen 1 got gen 2, then people with gen 1's got gen3's, etc.

The big thing here is its moving a long exactly like the iPod is. Except it costs 2-3x as much. Apple can't expect people to willingly upgrade something that requires so much more with software/apps. Heres what I'm thinking and seeing. When people are fine with the iPad1 which is a fine device they aren't seeing the desire for the iPad2, now when the iPad3 which is when the gen1's are supposed to upgrade they won't see a need to as the gen1 is still kicking it for them.

Apple will have to try their force upgrade path a little sooner with software support. Hopefully they can get people to pick it up if they threaten smaller software support?

Geee, people started realizing the iPad is just a giant iCan't device.

Can't watch a lot of online news videos due to flash, can't load programs outside of iTunes without jailbreaking, can't do jack...

They have a billion apps but 99.99% of them are junk.

A lot of people aren't seeing the price, they are seeing the usability. Replacing the iPod was relatively easy, most people got gen 1, then the people who didn't get gen 1 got gen 2, then people with gen 1's got gen3's, etc.

The big thing here is its moving a long exactly like the iPod is. Except it costs 2-3x as much. Apple can't expect people to willingly upgrade something that requires so much more with software/apps. Heres what I'm thinking and seeing. When people are fine with the iPad1 which is a fine device they aren't seeing the desire for the iPad2, now when the iPad3 which is when the gen1's are supposed to upgrade they won't see a need to as the gen1 is still kicking it for them.

Apple will have to try their force upgrade path a little sooner with software support. Hopefully they can get people to pick it up if they threaten smaller software support?
if my ipad1 hadn't been stolen I would have been able to sell it for more than the ipad2 was before the launch or 80% after launch and been able to upgrade without out of pocket expense.

They have a billion apps but 99.99% of them are junk.

Does that then mean android has a million apps that are 99.999999999999% junk? Funny how all other manufacturers started to put tablets out after apple did, isn't it? Even funnier is that they're falling flat on their faces because they're followers and not leaders. Apple created the market, apple will continue to dominate the market simply because you can't give a tablet away for free like you can with a cheap android phone. iOS>android, but for the majority of people money>quality, which is why you're seeing so many android phones sold.

Its funny how Bill Gates demo'd the slate computer back in 2001 then Apple copied it almost 9 years later, and now everyone copies it hay?

bill-gates-tablets-2.jpg

Does that then mean android has a million apps that are 99.999999999999% junk? Funny how all other manufacturers started to put tablets out after apple did, isn't it? Even funnier is that they're falling flat on their faces because they're followers and not leaders. Apple created the market, apple will continue to dominate the market simply because you can't give a tablet away for free like you can with a cheap android phone. iOS>android, but for the majority of people money>quality, which is why you're seeing so many android phones sold.

CrApple didn't start shit. CrApple is pretty good at stealing ideas and market their products very well.

Its funny how Bill Gates demo'd the slate computer back in 2001 then Apple copied it almost 9 years later, and now everyone copies it hay?

bill-gates-tablets-2.jpg
copied? the gap between stylus input and capacitive multitouch is so wide that they aren't even comparable. no one I know who has even as little as a minute experience with either would suggest they're for doing the same tasks interchangeably.

CrApple didn't start shit. CrApple is pretty good at stealing ideas and market their products very well.

As I've said it before, just repeat myself because I still can't think of a better way to say it.

Apple is a DJ. Apple takes a solid song, remixes it and gets popularity for it in the clubs.
They spot a trend and use that in their remix and are recognized for it.

What people (like us) take issue to is that Apple, despite only remixing the track... is also trying to take credit for writing the original song. (Magical, innovative, invented...)

copied? the gap between stylus input and capacitive multitouch is so wide that they aren't even comparable. no one I know who has even as little as a minute experience with either would suggest they're for doing the same tasks interchangeably.

WAT? Since when is using a laser mouse "not even comparable" to using a ball mouse? That's basically what you just said, the pointing device is all that matters.

They're the same device, one with an improved input device on it's front-end..that's all.

It's time for a next-gen iPad, and it's time to slow down/clear out the current supply chain. Last thing you want to do is announce a new one with high sell-through levels of the current one.

Uhhhh actually - you have no idea what you're talking about. That is EXACTLY what you want. You WANT people to have just bought the iPad 2 and see the next gen come out just after so they say "Awww I want that shit!" so they buy 2 back to back instead of just not buyign the iPad 2 and waiting until the next Gen :rolleyes:

Wonder how much electronic waste Apple is responsible for...

Planned obsolescence is not good design.

Interesting. I was shocked at how high intial demand was for these. It really is a cool toy and perhaps a bit more, but for $500? It's too high of a price point (imo) to keep releasing new iterations that everyone jumps on; the $200 subsidized iPhone cost is probably about as high as you can go with that model, particularly in this economy.

Yet PS3 at $599 sold well enough to keep Sony alive. You would be surprised at how many people can afford a $500 toy*. An Xbox with Kinect is $400+ and they sell like crazy.

You also have to take into account that there isn't an endless supply of people that are going to buy a product like that.

The closer an item gets to market saturation, the smaller the demand for the item bought at retail is going to be.

Indeed, I know ONE person with a tablet who says it's a satisfactory replacement for his laptop.

I always had a problem with "soft keyboards" and I asked him how he was able to type e-mails and such on his device.

His response was:
"same as I do on my laptop!"
and made a motion with his right hand, index finger extended, hunting and pecking.

/facepalm

Most people with tablets treat them as toys for their kids or just screw around with. For tablets to really take off as laptop replacements, they need to create a universal accessory interface so people can easily attach keyboards and monitors and such. Until then, they'll be toys. The fad wave is dying out, they have to adapt to be usable business tools with a sustainable market, or be relegated to niche uses where keyboard style input is very rarely required.

For tablets to really take off as laptop replacements, they need to create a universal accessory interface so people can easily attach keyboards and monitors and such.
Good point, I wish they'd hurry up and implement bluetooth in these things...

A few weeks ago Apple was trading at around $370 per share and today it is at $405. :confused:

Look at it yesterday. It went as low as $390 briefly.

It's a non issue anyways, just the moving of some of the production to Brazil.

Most people with tablets treat them as toys for their kids or just screw around with. For tablets to really take off as laptop replacements, they need to create a universal accessory interface so people can easily attach keyboards and monitors and such. Until then, they'll be toys. The fad wave is dying out, they have to adapt to be usable business tools with a sustainable market, or be relegated to niche uses where keyboard style input is very rarely required.

I thought that's what the USB host is for :confused: My archos can connect a keyboard, mouse, usb hub (For KB/M), camera, cellphone, ipod, usbcard reader, usb 2.5" case (FAT), WD Passport (NTFS).

What's currently missing is the ability to multitask applications in parallel, desktop style. And even if they do come up with a windows like application environment, there's still the matter of figuring a way to move data between applications quickly and easily, which is not possible with a touch interface (Doable, but very slow, complicated and takes multiple steps).

The simple act of copying a spreadsheet and pasting it in a word processor takes only a couple of swipes and a few seconds on a desktop, but takes atleast five times as long and a dozen long presses to do the same on a tablet.

I thought that's what the USB host is for :confused: My archos can connect a keyboard, mouse, usb hub (For KB/M), camera, cellphone, ipod, usbcard reader, usb 2.5" case (FAT), WD Passport (NTFS).

What's currently missing is the ability to multitask applications in parallel, desktop style. And even if they do come up with a windows like application environment, there's still the matter of figuring a way to move data between applications quickly and easily, which is not possible with a touch interface (Doable, but very slow, complicated and takes multiple steps).

The simple act of copying a spreadsheet and pasting it in a word processor takes only a couple of swipes and a few seconds on a desktop, but takes atleast five times as long and a dozen long presses to do the same on a tablet.

WebOS pretty much solved that issue with its Cards implementation. It's also what I like most about it. If they combined the cards system in WebOS with Android, it'd be pretty damned unstoppable.

Yet PS3 at $599 sold well enough to keep Sony alive. You would be surprised at how many people can afford a $500 toy*. An Xbox with Kinect is $400+ and they sell like crazy.

Terrible example.

PS3 was sold at a loss for Sony, and people bought it because it was actually quite great vs the stand alone blue ray players price wise if not interested in the possible games.

Interesting. I always find it odd when people mention just how horrible desktop Windows 7 is when it comes to touch and actually this type of thing works pretty well with touch using Office 2010. Not as good as it is with a mouse but still pretty quick and painless when you get the hang of it for most things, I do this sort of thing everyday in Windows via touch.

i think its market saturation at this point. i bought i samsung galaxy tab 10.1 the verizon 4g lte version was 577 shipped to my house. its a fun device but it will never replace my laptops. all they are are giant versions of phones which cant make phone calls. i bet buyers remorse on these things is through the roof.

As a FYI for the future you should probably avoid any "stock falls" stories unless you see a drop of 10 to 20%. The end result yesterday was a drop of .25% which is meaningless in terms of normal fluctuations

WebOS pretty much solved that issue with its Cards implementation. It's also what I like most about it. If they combined the cards system in WebOS with Android, it'd be pretty damned unstoppable.

Got a link? Really interested in how it's implemented there.

Interesting. I always find it odd when people mention just how horrible desktop Windows 7 is when it comes to touch and actually this type of thing works pretty well with touch using Office 2010. Not as good as it is with a mouse but still pretty quick and painless when you get the hang of it for most things, I do this sort of thing everyday in Windows via touch.

Try doing it on Android and iOS.

Got a link? Really interested in how it's implemented there.

It's very similar to what Windows 8 does, flicking left to right to switch apps, up to close, that sort of thing.

Try doing it on Android and iOS.

I agree, its why I've always gotten a chuckle out of folks that like to compare iOS to Windows 7 for productivity. It's impossible for some of these folks to conceive that in some situations that touch in Windows, even for apps that aren't expressly designed for touch, can achieve better results than apps and an OS that are.

But that has a LOT to do with the task bar in Windows 7, the icon task bar in Windows 7 was an brilliant concept that added a lot of touch friendliness to Windows 7 while working well on a desktop. Switching between apps and cutting and pasting are a breeze in touch because of that task bar.

WAT? Since when is using a laser mouse "not even comparable" to using a ball mouse? That's basically what you just said, the pointing device is all that matters.

They're the same device, one with an improved input device on it's front-end..that's all.

Having used digital pens and multi-touch everyday now for a long time I have to say that they do map directly to a few things like clicking or taping and selecting but that's about it. Pinch zooming is pretty tough with a pen and I wouldn't try to take math notes with fingers. However they do compliment each other well in apps that take advantage of both line OneNote 2010. I'm really looking forward to the next version of Office as that's going to be probably the greatest touch and pen enabled productivity application suite ever created and blow everything else out of the water.

Yeah, I have to agree with mope on this one, digital pens (a stylus isn't a digital pen

I'm pretty sure Apple did that first.

Umm, no. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_for_Pen_Computing

And Apple has never had digital pen technology, which is quite a bit different from a dump stylus. Nor have they backed ink technology into any OS outside of the Newton. There's InkWell in OS X but it's nothing close compared to the digital ink technology in Windows. Microsoft has just done a lot more for pen computing than anyone else at the moment. They've not done anything major since Windows XP Tablet edition but they have done consistent improvements to the technology with each major Windows version and Windows 8 actually has the ability to do ink in the Metro apps.

Back