Microsoft Apologizes For Consoles Banned By Mistake

HardOCP News

[H] News
Stephen Toulouse, head of the Policy and Enforcement team for Xbox LIVE, issued a statement and apology today to Xbox 360 owners that were banned due to a software error that mistakenly identified their consoles as modified. The company has restored the accounts and given the owners 3 months of free Xbox LIVE and 1600 Microsoft points ($20).

Within a few business days, we will issue the primary account holder on the impacted console a credit for three months of Xbox LIVE Gold and 1600 Microsoft points. Since we know exactly who is affected, those customers do not need to take any action. Everything will be applied automatically. No keys or tokens to redeem, no other action to be taken.

While I'm not a fan of the whole subscription thing it's impressive that Microsoft did that much. In before "Still more than Sony did"

I kinda wish they had mistakenly banned my console now that I read that.

The comments in the feedback section is like a window into the shallow end of the gene pool. :)

You know people say 'I got banned and I didn't do anything wrong.' and everybody responds 'Sure....you know what you did, and you had to have done something wrong to get banned.' Well, now we know - sometimes accidents do happen, and sometimes people are banned who actually DID NOT do anything wrong.

You know people say 'I got banned and I didn't do anything wrong.' and everybody responds 'Sure....you know what you did, and you had to have done something wrong to get banned.' Well, now we know - sometimes accidents do happen, and sometimes people are banned who actually DID NOT do anything wrong.

+1 for those unfortunate enough to have been accidentally banned.

Been there myself, so I know how it feels to have to justify your ire while defending yourself in the court of public opinion.

Back