Star Wars: The Old Republic Coming in December

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Electronic Arts just announced the upcoming Christmas release of Star Wars: The Old Republic on December 20th, barely making it available for a Christmas gift (for yourself probably) :D The press release contains the pricing and game play information. Thanks to Greg Vanisacker for the link. :cool:

Im glad it comes out after the Fall rush of games.

It will give me a chance to play plenty of BF3 and Skyrim before i get addicted to killing Jawas.

So many good games coming out this fall.

I got a good chuckle out of the fact that you put it's something people would be getting themselves.

I'll probably be playing Skyrim when this comes out -- I'm meh about the fact that it's cell shaded though.

I got a good chuckle out of the fact that you put it's something people would be getting themselves.

I'll probably be playing Skyrim when this comes out -- I'm meh about the fact that it's cell shaded though.

are you talking about swtor being cell shaded? because its not.

what are you talking about SWTOR is NOT cell shaded.

I guess I'll have to get all my Christmas shopping/wrapping/baking/etc done before the 20th.

heres the games intro cinematic.. man i wish they would make a feature length cgi movie trilogy with this setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxJowRziRdo

as for actual gameplay the game does look good for an mmo especially if you have had a chance to see it in person at one of the numerous convention appearances.

No, but I respectfully disagree.

Don't like it, then don't play it.

Don't get me wrong, I understand art decisions. TF2, for example, has SUPER low polygon counts, but it's part of an art design decision.
Look:
ss_rattataki1_full_17252.nphd.jpg

That's not art design, that's low res. That's not style, that's poor. I WANT to like it, but come on!

heres the games intro cinematic.. man i wish they would make a feature length cgi movie trilogy with this setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxJowRziRdo

as for actual gameplay the game does look good for an mmo especially if you have had a chance to see it in person at one of the numerous convention appearances.

I like how varied the classes look. They all seem like they will be fun to play. My first character of course will be a Jedi or Sith, but after that I'll look into other classes. The only thing I wish was in the game is a quest line that allowed you to change sides.

i dont see anything impressive texture or grpahics wise in the GW2 shot.

SWTOR doesnt have the highest res textures either but it really doesnt need them.

its also not really about how a game looks when its a screen shot.

its more about how the game plays, combined with how everything in the enviroment looks when the game is moving and the atmosphere with the sound and when everything comes together that is worth way more than an indevidual screen shot.

i bet most people that play swtor arnt going to be looking at a not so high res texture and say, man that looks horrible and instead are going to be engrossed by the overall starwars atmophere that bioware and crafted for them to enjoy. gameplay/story/ total atmosphere and acceptable frame rates will always trump graphics.

I sense a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of Nerds became aroused, all at once...

I stopped playing WoW years ago, and when I saw this screenshot I genuinely thought another Expo pack was coming out for it.

Im sorry but there is nothing wrong with the grphics in swtor (Take it from somone thats played the game) The worlds are beeutifull and huge and keeping this stile means that u can see vast disntaces on most setups.

The charictor models are ok too the lighting effects from the lightsabers are awsome

Cor31_resize.jpg

ss_zabrak02_full.jpg

This was a tremendous disappointment for me at PAX. When I sat down to get in my play time, I thought "Good! Time to see SWTOR put its best foot forward on a big stage".

Here's what I got:
"Hello adventurer, I need you to go out into a field and fetch five holograms for me. Also they talk, and you'll have meaningless dialog options with them after you've killed the same three copied and pasted enemies that surround each one".

As a side note, the most interesting of the MMOs to me on display at PAX was Wildstar.

I've been in testing for 4 months and have yet to cancel my preorder, so, for whatever that means.

The first 30 days will tell the story for me. If you can solo and be a badass I'm all in. I played galaxy when it first came out and my bounty hunter had everything but the droid tree max'd, good times, MOWING people down....lets see what they can muster in galaxies 2.

This isn't Galaxies 2, so stop calling it that, as Galaxies had a very robust crafting system and also was skill-based, not class-based.

If you compare this saying it is Galaxies 2 then you did not play SWG, so stop lying saying that you did.

The first 30 days will tell the story for me. If you can solo and be a badass I'm all in. I played galaxy when it first came out and my bounty hunter had everything but the droid tree max'd, good times, MOWING people down....lets see what they can muster in galaxies 2.

You can solo the entire game.

Face it you cant make a WoW killer with good graphics. You need newbs to be able to play on their 386s. I'm sure the number of subscribers playing on shart computers far outnumbers the people with decent rigs.

Without going into a lot of detail, I can say this about this game. Speaking from several months of experience.

It's a mass market item. Nothing really stands out. There is always that small hint of boredom and being underwhelmed. At no point have I ever said to myself, "oh that is cool" and with it being Star Wars, there should have been tons of those types of moments.

This is absolutely not for anyone who enjoys end game raiding in World of Warcraft. That is not present at all.

I really feel like this is a gateway MMO and that their target audience are the casual games from Facebook.

I am sure the game will do well but only on the strength of the branding, not the design and execution. Which of course is too bad.

I am not a WoW Fan Boy. Sick of WoW but yes, I still do play it. I am still looking for a replacement. SWTOR is not that game.

I would recommend this game to your kid sister or maybe your dad who liked Star Wars as a teen. Again, if you have anyone in your family or friends that plays a lot of social games, you might recommend this game to them. That seems to be the general market they were aiming for.

Without going into a lot of detail, I can say this about this game. Speaking from several months of experience.

It's a mass market item. Nothing really stands out. There is always that small hint of boredom and being underwhelmed. At no point have I ever said to myself, "oh that is cool" and with it being Star Wars, there should have been tons of those types of moments.

This is absolutely not for anyone who enjoys end game raiding in World of Warcraft. That is not present at all.

I really feel like this is a gateway MMO and that their target audience are the casual games from Facebook.

I am sure the game will do well but only on the strength of the branding, not the design and execution. Which of course is too bad.

I am not a WoW Fan Boy. Sick of WoW but yes, I still do play it. I am still looking for a replacement. SWTOR is not that game.

I would recommend this game to your kid sister or maybe your dad who liked Star Wars as a teen. Again, if you have anyone in your family or friends that plays a lot of social games, you might recommend this game to them. That seems to be the general market they were aiming for.

Saw an interview last night where Bioware said they want to bring in people who have never played MMOs before. I think that is good. I don't want some uber "hardcore" MMO. They have never said this was going to be a WoW killer that idiotic statement only came from gamers who love to tack on term like that even when it only serves to hurt the game in the long run.

This game is going to rock the subs and users in WoW, count that as a fact.

Over 2 million pre-orders for this game

I know this. it's going to be #2 AT LEAST, maybe even take over #1.

honestly, no offense meant, but if some of you out there enjoy farmville, windows hearts, phase 10, board games, casual games like that, SWTOR will be very easy for you to pickup and play. It does not have a very complicated UI and the choices you are presented with are very easy to understand. They've taken all the guess work out of it, made it super easy to understand. It really is a gateway MMO to the casual Facebook gamer. Your sister, girlfriend, family will really enjoy it.

There will be raiding content, so not sure why you are saying that there will not be.

Judging by the rest of what you said, you are lying about testing it. It flies in the face of my experience testing it and many other people that I know that are also testing it.

Stop spreading disinformation. Thanks.

Back