Another Suspected LulzSec Hacker Arrested

HardOCP News

[H] News
Damn, the FBI sure aren't messing around with these LulzSec guys, are they? The agency carried out almost a dozen raids in Arizona, San Francisco, Montana, New Jersey and Minnesota. So much for that "We are anonymous..." mantra. :eek:

Cody Kretsinger, who is believed to go by the hacker handle "Recursion", was arrested during a morning raid on his home in Phoenix, Arizona. The FBI believes Mr Kretsinger was behind a series of attacks on Sony Pictures Entertainment and helped to distribute data stolen in the hack.

none of this has to do with the origional anons anymore. the same way some crazy person who shoots up a movie theater screaming "praise jesus" probably has nothing to do with actual christianity.

Sony and the RIAA can sleep easier tonight.

It doesn't matter if they can sleep easier tonight. What Lulzsec did was malicious and they hurt everyone in the process because of their "Fuck all" attitude. Leaking entire list of personal information intentionally so they can gloat at what they can do as well as for the "lulz" wasn't the right way to go. It would have been much better stating that they have been able to breach's Sony's security and tell them to zip up their pants but they did far more than that.

Haha. I remember when these Lulzsec clowns were hacking the Arizona DPS and other Arizona law enforcement websites a few months back. Turns out one of them was right here in Phoenix Arizona.

Isn't that akin to stealing your neighbors car? Doesn't seem like the brightest group of people.

Haha. I remember when these Lulzsec clowns were hacking the Arizona DPS and other Arizona law enforcement websites a few months back. Turns out one of them was right here in Phoenix Arizona.

Isn't that akin to stealing your neighbors car? Doesn't seem like the brightest group of people.

Well come on now, they started targeting government agencies and even megacorps and then think they weren't going to get caught?

Think about it, if they can find Bin Laden hidden away in Pakistan, even if it took awhile, and yet these idiots think that no one would ever be able to track them down no matter how much reason they are given to do so?

Sadly it's the public at large that will suffer for this, and it will be doubled. First when they were releasing info from hacked sites that was our info not the CEO of the companys private info. Second the government will surely use the actions of these douchebags to justify pushing through laws giving the government more control over the technology and the internet and of course with that's happened lately they will likely get broad support for the laws when they do.

FBI Press Release: We did it for the lulz.

the problem with battling trolls though, is you lend them legitimacy to them by engaging them. who cares if a few pawns are arrested, the world now knows who lulzsec is and is afraid of them. the smart people; the ones who wont be caught; are sitting back and laughing at what they caused. those are the best lulz.

Well come on now, they started targeting government agencies and even megacorps and then think they weren't going to get caught?

Think about it, if they can find Bin Laden hidden away in Pakistan, even if it took awhile, and yet these idiots think that no one would ever be able to track them down no matter how much reason they are given to do so?

Sadly it's the public at large that will suffer for this, and it will be doubled. First when they were releasing info from hacked sites that was our info not the CEO of the companys private info. Second the government will surely use the actions of these douchebags to justify pushing through laws giving the government more control over the technology and the internet and of course with that's happened lately they will likely get broad support for the laws when they do.

They always knew where Bin Laden was, it was a matter of getting the okay to get rid of him, that was taking so long.

And your right, we will have more restrictions put in place due to these wannabe hackers fooling about with the data of the very people they are trying to appeal to.

Conveniently they'll say "He was never one of us anyways".

My thoughts exactly. That's what they always say. "Oh he just got our coffee, he wasn't actually a member of our little clique. You'll never catch us!"

the problem with battling trolls though, is you lend them legitimacy to them by engaging them. who cares if a few pawns are arrested, the world now knows who lulzsec is and is afraid of them. the smart people; the ones who wont be caught; are sitting back and laughing at what they caused. those are the best lulz.

They weren't just trolls though, the caused real damage in some cases. You can't just sit back and do nothing, either. And who knows if this guy is one of the "smart ones"; it's all conjecture.

I haven't read anywhere about the IT department being let go or any charges being laid for all the information that was allowed to leave sonys servers. Funny, but isn't there somewhere in the sony EULA that they won't share your info with any third partys unless they work on behalf of sony. Opens up the door to being charged in my books.:)

Ummmm, what?!?!

As I recall these groups become well known BEFORE the arrests started. You seem to have it backwards, the arrests started because, and after, they got everyone's attention.

I haven't read anywhere about the IT department being let go or any charges being laid for all the information that was allowed to leave sonys servers. Funny, but isn't there somewhere in the sony EULA that they won't share your info with any third partys unless they work on behalf of sony. Opens up the door to being charged in my books.:)

There's quite a bit of difference between SHARING data and STOLEN data. Intent, mainly.

Sweet May he burn in Sheriff Joe's Tent city. Over 130 in the Summer, and you have to wear pink underwear!

15 years of that will melt his mind. I think all the prisons in America Should be here in AZ in the middle of the desert, No A/C!

See what he does after that!

Meanwhile our government is silent on all the blatant hacking coming directly from the Chinese government, and they remain our "most favored nation".

I guess internet vandals are a bigger threat to our national security. Good job, FBI.

Obligatory XKCD:
cia.png

Sweet May he burn in Sheriff Joe's Tent city. Over 130 in the Summer, and you have to wear pink underwear!

15 years of that will melt his mind. I think all the prisons in America Should be here in AZ in the middle of the desert, No A/C!

See what he does after that!

This is federal.

meh, kind of a shame these guys are getting caught.

the only thing I agree with the straight and narrow guys on here about is the data. Releasing it was a poor move. simply the logs to say it was taken is enough, then lock it away or destroy it... well ok that only pertains to the average persons personal information.... All the corporate and govt info they released.... more power to them and I hope some group takes up the mantle on that front in the future.

.............. hackers?

You mean "hackers" --- anonymous sheeple people downloading a premade program A lone, single HACKER MADE, and clicking one button does not make them a fucking HACKER.

The media is so clueless, even after multiple reports on these loser kids calling themselves hackers.... or as they call themselves, "hacktavists" ,, what a joke the media is lately....

.............. hackers?

You mean "hackers" --- anonymous sheeple people downloading a premade program A lone, single HACKER MADE, and clicking one button does not make them a fucking HACKER.

The media is so clueless, even after multiple reports on these loser kids calling themselves hackers.... or as they call themselves, "hacktavists" ,, what a joke the media is lately....

Meanwhile our government is silent on all the blatant hacking coming directly from the Chinese government, and they remain our "most favored nation".

I guess internet vandals are a bigger threat to our national security. Good job, FBI.

It's a lot easier for the government to talk about what it does with individual law breakers. Commenting on potentially government sponsored hackers from a nation where there are delicate trade agreements and other political conflicts is another. Reporting every one of those cases to the public just doesn't help anything.

As for these guys, once they start getting serious jail sentences, it will start discouraging newcomers to hacktivism. The Lulzsec guys who hacked Sony may be looking at up to 15 (likely only do 5 or less), but the guys who have been hacking police agencies and releasing private officer information are looking at several other charges. It was all fun and games when they had the idiot notion that they would actually be anonymous, but once the sentences start rolling out, Anonymous will likely start shrinking in participants.

Doh! Didnt mean to quote two posts. I think I clicked something I shouldn't have.

Back