Got a pre-wired ethernet wall jack with nonstandard wire colors

Ryan711

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've got some ethernet wall jacks that are pre-wired to where all you need to do is take the twisted pairs from the ethernet and lay them under the screws. The only problem is that the wires on the wall jack are not the standard ethernet colors so I'm not sure how to wire it up.

On my patch cables, I wire Striped orange, orange, striped green, blue, striped blue, green, striped brown, and brown. On this wall jack the colors are: white, brown, yellow, green, red, black, orange, and blue.

Does anyone know this standard of wire color and how they match up to the standard ethernet twisted pairs?

They may be RJ45, but they are not data rated if they are using single wires connecting to screw terminals. Remember that RJ45 was a telco jack for multi-line long before it was adopted for data.

It may work, but it will make the line vulnerable to electrical noise which may lead to high rates of error frames.

Not trying to dispute, but just because it has an RJ45 jack doesn't mean it is designed/certified for data. Never seen a data designed jack w/ screw terminals. That actually defies the cat 5 standard. But if it worksat home, who cares?

It's an 8 pin jack with screw terminals. RJ 'anything' are all USOC standards. Regardless it is wrong for data/ethernet. Get a Cat5e jack with a punchdown tool and be done with it.

No, they're RJ-45. It has both RJ11 and RJ45 jacks.

~edit~

found the conversions here

http://www.server-servers.com/ge-cat5-network-wall-plate-straight-through-cable-setup/

I have some of these from back in the day. They were pretty common for a while, and rated to handle up to 10 megabit service. I agree with the others that they're unsuited for use with anything faster.

They still could be of use to you though; another way to move 4 pairs of wires somewhere from a single drop (like 4 phone lines or a long-run serial line), and have an easy way to set the pin assignments. Of course, most people doing this now would just get a special colored keystone and wire it up as desired.

Back