Microsoft and Casio Sign Linux Patent Agreement

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft and Casio have entered into a broad, multiyear patent cross-licensing agreement that, among other things, will provide Casio’s customers with patent coverage for their use of Linux in certain Casio devices. This licensing agreement is an extension of the long-standing relationship between the two companies; Casio utilizes a wide variety of Microsoft software for its products, including its industrial handheld terminals and business information systems. Although the details of the licensing agreement are confidential, the parties acknowledge that Microsoft is being compensated by Casio.

This patent agreement is another example of the important role intellectual property (IP) plays in ensuring a healthy and vibrant IT ecosystem.

bullshit. i am totally for licensing IP, but why is Casio having pay Microsoft to use linux? "We didnt invent it, but we can sure as hell make money from it"

They're not. They're using some patents (Microsoft's IP) to use in Casio's Linux operating system that they have deployed on their product. I would say that's a very misleading article.

They're not. They're using some patents (Microsoft's IP) to use in Casio's Linux operating system that they have deployed on their product. I would say that's a very misleading article.

Explain please?
They are using patents to use in casios os?
I am not questioning your statement, but I am not technically proficient enough to understand what you mean here.

Explain please?
They are using patents to use in casios os?
I am not questioning your statement, but I am not technically proficient enough to understand what you mean here.

In short, some programs contain elements of another's intellectual properties. In order for it to remain legal, that program needs to pay the intellectual property owner license fees or royalties. Nothing new here.

Casio is still around???
Yup, they make those waterproof mil-spec G'zOne cell phones (you can go check out youtubers throwing them from 3rd story balconies and other fun durability tests...fun times! :D ). I'm actually quite happy with my Casio Ravine. It's got some nice built in outdoors/survival type features, though I'm sure there are apps for them (except for the waterproof feature :p ). Non smartphone user by choice here.

thank you very much....
01.jpg

Oh, are you saying that a company is making a phone that doesn't have MS's OS and thus they must pay MS for not using that OS? I kid I kid, MS wouldn't ever stand for something like that.

Right?

Back