Angry Birds Surpasses 350 Million Downloads!

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If there was a category for wasting the most time ever in the Guinness Book of World Records, I’m positive that Angry Birds would take the top spot, hands down. The games have been downloaded 350 million times and receives 300 million minutes play time per day. That’s nothing to be angry about. :D

I just don't understand the fascination with this game. It's like some kind of inside joke, and I'm the only guy in the room who doesn't get it.

It takes no brains to play and is available for every mobile device, plus the birds look cool.

Tried it on my Touchpad. Played in total about 2 hours or so. Maybe not even that much. Haven't touched it since.

I just don't understand the fascination with this game.

Oh come on, even I get this one and I'm as thick as they come. Just play it, it's fun. This game is one of the best things to come along in the history of games.

I fire it up on the tablet while I'm watching progress bars. Its a game you can jump into
play for 30 seconds, stop, and play again for another 30 seconds. It's just a good time
waster.

Birds = The American people
Pigs = Washington Fatcats

Go go, more motivation :D

I fire it up on the tablet while I'm watching progress bars. Its a game you can jump into
play for 30 seconds, stop, and play again for another 30 seconds. It's just a good time
waster.

Birds = The American people
Pigs = Washington Fatcats

Go go, more motivation :D

I concur...

I just don't understand the fascination with this game. It's like some kind of inside joke, and I'm the only guy in the room who doesn't get it.

You can talk about Angry Birds' solid gameplay, cute "characters", or the way you can easily play for a few minutes and then go on with your life. True, but there are plenty of other smartphone/tablet games meeting that descriptions. Why this one?

I think the answer is, it's just a fad, pure and simple. I don't think people are uniquely fascinated with Angry Birds that much more than other games, it's just they know about the game, they know people who play it and enjoy it, and it's so easy to try. It's "gone viral" if you will, pure popularity. You can argue that some other "better" game should have been prom queen instead, but there can be only one.

This entire phenomenon escapes me to some degree. Call me contrarian, or anti-conformist, or just plain anti-social, but I'm not sure why everyone wants the popular thing - I'd rather have or do something else on principle. Could be just plain laziness - they've heard about it and know it's good, no research required - or the social aspect - everyone's got one, I want one too!

Take Harry Potter, for example. There are hundreds of other talented fantasy writers putting out great stuff, why does JK Rowling succeed 1000x more than they do? You can argue quality, or some unique aspect (in this case, appeal to children) but there's still that "it" or "viral" factor that's hard to quantify and understand. Same went for the Wii when it came out, for Apple products the last few years, for Facebook vs alternatives when it was new. Every consumer business tries to make the next big hit, but nobody knows what people want, and then something becomes an item people want just because other people want it or have it, etc.

Anyway, forgive my rant. I guess I was just saying, I don't get it either.

Why this one?

That's a really great question, and you've got a lot of the answers in your post. Solid gameplay, cute characters, the way you can easily play for a few minutes and then go on with your life, and the viral element as well. It also has the widest audience possible, from the very young to the very old, it's socially acceptable, it has a very easy instant gratification from the start and just enough challenge without being frustrating in the wrong way, and it is interesting to the mind when first heard. The very name begs the listener to find out more, it's confusing in a positive yet humorous way. Then when you do find out more, you discover the rest.

Don't hate it because it's beautiful. :D

I went down to a local Microcenter to pick up a Crucial M4 128GB and I saw an Angry Birds stuffed animal with a "squeeze me" button. I was tempted, but I passed because I didn't see a price tag (and I was too laze to ask). They almost had me.

For a long time I kept hearing about this game. And everyone kept telling me to download it.
I eventually DL'd it. And I have to admit its a pretty fun game. However, outside of taking a dump I don't play it.

Oh come on, even I get this one and I'm as thick as they come. Just play it, it's fun. This game is one of the best things to come along in the history of games.

Indeed it is. It's a great time killer during my 1.5 hour commute to work. I have all 3 Angry Birds installed on my iPhone - regular, Season, and Rio.

Rio's ok but the regular and Season are great fun!

don't people think this shit is repetitive ?

how many times can you play this ?

they must have made a billion dollars on this. they can retire now.

Its the kind of games people play to keep themself occupied while waiting for something, commuting on a train, etc. Its casual with individual stage that can be cleared in a minute or two and that's the perfect game to kill time during a short period.

It makes no sense to be playing Final Fantasy or Resident Evil during a train ride to work. Those games are for when you have a couple hours of free time or more at home.

I think that number is HIGHLY inflated to actual users.

I'm not saying its a bad game, its hella fun and a great time waster if you're waiting on someone for 2-20 minutes.

But I downloaded the game, on PC, android, and a few other PCs. So 5 of those downloads are from one guy, me. I imagine there are multiples there in that number.... heh

It takes no brains to play and is available for every mobile device, plus the birds look cool.

What?!?! No brains... its a fucking strategy based game. lol

If you are a fucking retard, you aren't getting any new levels to play.... I think that's why a few people hate this game. They just suck at it, or plainly just don't get it.

My mom recently said she couldn't do a couple of the levels. I was like, I can help you out with those. But what she meant was she couldn't get all 3 stars on those levels! She actually has 3 stars on almost every single level. I was impressed.

What?!?! No brains... its a fucking strategy based game. lol

If you are a fucking retard, you aren't getting any new levels to play.... I think that's why a few people hate this game. They just suck at it, or plainly just don't get it.

Cool your jets, cowboy. He meant it's easy to play and it doesn't require memorizing 100 controls like most PC games do these days.

Indeed it is. It's a great time killer during my 1.5 hour commute to work. I have all 3 Angry Birds installed on my iPhone - regular, Season, and Rio.

Rio's ok but the regular and Season are great fun!

That is a beefy commute. My commute is ~6 minutes.

Maybe I just need a longer commute to have a game like Angry Birds impress me.

That is a beefy commute. My commute is ~6 minutes.

Maybe I just need a longer commute to have a game like Angry Birds impress me.

I live in Chesterton, Indiana and work downtown Chicago. 1.5 hour each way. It's ok, I just go to bed late and finish my sleep on the train most of the time.

Back