AT&T's LTE Network to Launch Sunday in 5 Cities

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Tomorrow AT&T will meet a promised date for providing five US cities access to its LTE network before the end of the summer. The 4G service will eventually be available in 15 cities in total, covering 70 million people.

AT&T's staunchest rival, Verizon Wireless, launched its LTE service in late 2010, and this week said it now covers 143 markets with the addition of 26 markets on Thursday

The thing is that my download speed on my Infuse which is not 4G but is instead the hspa+ stuff has doubled the last few days.

I got Verizon LTE with a USB modem when it first launched December of last year, it really is awesome, better than a lot of people hardline Internet connections though it is pricey.

Nothing along either densely populated coast? Screw you AT&T. :mad:

Are you serious? It's their first launch... give me a freakin' break! I'm glad that AT&T is launching their 4G network... and it's about time! I don't give a shit if I'm not in one of the very first cities either....

So, Verzon - 143 markets. AT&T - 5. WTG AT&T, maintaining that image of investing in your network, staying up to date, and satisfying customers just as well as almost anybody in the tech world would expect from you.

Guess that's what happens when you screw around and let the competition get a huge jump start on you just to save a little on LTE equipment. (savings we KNOW won't be passed onto the customer, but instead will be used to buy and eliminate competition)

They didn't really need to rush. CDMA was at a technological dead end, while HSPA+ still is being developed and improved. I'd rather be in a situation where I can count on 6m as a fallback when LTE isn't available vs the 3.1 of CDMA.

They didn't really need to rush. CDMA was at a technological dead end, while HSPA+ still is being developed and improved. I'd rather be in a situation where I can count on 6m as a fallback when LTE isn't available vs the 3.1 of CDMA.

Except AT&T seems to drop back to 2.5G EDGE a LOT with current HSPA+ phones, so I don't see that changing with LTE phones. EDGE is a lot slower than EVDO. Might be area dependent, but that's the way it is around Nashville, and pretty much all of KY is always in EDGE mode.

Except AT&T seems to drop back to 2.5G EDGE a LOT with current HSPA+ phones, so I don't see that changing with LTE phones. EDGE is a lot slower than EVDO. Might be area dependent, but that's the way it is around Nashville, and pretty much all of KY is always in EDGE mode.

I went to Nashville for a car show last year and didn't have any problems being in 3G mode (in that damn bed bug infested motel) . Verizon has more coverage than ATT for sure. However, Verizon's CDMA network is slow and that was/is the trade off. You'll get better coverage, but it's way slower than ATT's HSPA.

in terms of actual assets and etc att = verizon+ tmobile + sprint combined finally they are stepping up just a little step

I hope they don't get tmobile so they can go ahead and build on lte instead of just taking tmobile hspa+ and call it 4g lol

5 cities will have 4G... whoopie. < 25 million people get super badass service, while the remaining 275 million potential customers get shitty 2G with only 3 bars, IF THEY ARE LUCKY.

I finally, this week, got my Tmob tower upgraded to full 3G after i was only getting 1 bar for 2 years straight. AT&T is not much different, they only cater the new phones to city people. For people in the burbs/outskirts of cities, and especially in the farm areas... you are usually SOL for 3G service, and only get < 30kb/sec EDGE a.k.a 2G service.

AT&T, Tmob, & friends need to get a brain and cater to the masses, not just city folk.

They haven't stopped upgrading the rest of the network to HSPA. They allegedly plan to have that finished by the end of 2012. That was the whole reason they originally declined to plan to upgrade 100% of their network to LTE, they figure the rest of the country could be served well with that.

So, Verzon - 143 markets. AT&T - 5. WTG AT&T, maintaining that image of investing in your network, staying up to date, and satisfying customers just as well as almost anybody in the tech world would expect from you.

Guess that's what happens when you screw around and let the competition get a huge jump start on you just to save a little on LTE equipment. (savings we KNOW won't be passed onto the customer, but instead will be used to buy and eliminate competition)

Actually Verizon will be lighting up 26 more LTE markets by the end of September so it will soon be 169. The goal was 171 by the end of 2011 covering well over half of the population. It looks like that goal should be smashed with ease. The Death Star Network has lots of catching up to do.

Odd...I live in KY and my ATT work iphone is almost ALWAYS in 3g mode...I also travel across most of the state as well and am rarely in Edge anymore (thats typically when Im at a podunk substation). We must be talking about two different Kentuckys.

Back