Google Does It Again: Buys More IBM Patents

HardOCP News

[H] News
Soon, Google will own every patent on the planet. Hell, you might as well just start registering your new patents with Google instead of the USPTO. :D

According to documents on the government organization's Web site, 1,023 patents were transferred from IBM to Google on August 17. However, SEO by the Sea, a blog covering the search space that first reported on the story, says that Google might have actually only received 1,022 patents, since one of the numbers "appears to be wrong."

Nah, Apple patents stuff faster than Google can buy them. And they'll probably not be selling. And since they can get patents for products the competition is selling (see the Apple patent for a Kinect like device?), they're guaranteed at least 50% of the patents in existence.

One almost has to feel sorry for Apple right about now. The aggressive legal action against Android systems is likely going to backfire big-time if Google uses these patents to defend Android.

Speaking of patents Intel also mentioned something at XDC: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTkxMQ

It seems that the old S3TC patent has been marked invalid, which would be good news for Apple's IOS AND Google's Android/Linux Chromium/Linux platforms.

Google will own every patent on the planet

Steve.. you are soo patently wrong about that.. every patent on the planet will be owned by Google, Microsoft and Apple!

go-time-300x287.jpg

Either way, Google has acquired a boatload of new patents. And it's quite surprising to see how many markets they cover. According to the USPTO site, Google has acquired everything from "communications on a network" to "audio communications." The search company also acquired patents related to signature verification on documents and "animation reuse in three dimensional virtual reality."

Four_Aces.jpg

One almost has to feel sorry for Apple right about now. The aggressive legal action against Android systems is likely going to backfire big-time if Google uses these patents to defend Android.

So a thuggish anti-competitive company tries to find any slimeball way of eliminating anyd and all reasonable competition, and I'm supposed to feel bad because it might backfire on them?

I fail to see how I should feel bad for them.

So a thuggish anti-competitive company tries to find any slimeball way of eliminating anyd and all reasonable competition, and I'm supposed to feel bad because it might backfire on them?

I fail to see how I should feel bad for them.

Why? Apple, like any company in the world, has a right to protect their IP. It seems to me that Google's the one who is being sleazy by saying "oops we got caught using someone else's IP. Quick! Buy up all the patents that will make us the rightful IP owner!" It's all about point of views. There's no such thing as innocent corporations.

The spirit of the patent system has been lost, and is the #1 deterrent to innovation in the US now.

We've mine Mine MINE!'d ourselves into oblivion. Patents that are far too broad are being approved.

Copyright is another that's out of control. Extension after extension after extension are being allowed.

It's ridiculous that the Girl Scouts have to pay ASCAP fee's just to be able to sing around the campfire, or restaurants aren't allowed to sing Happy Birthday to a guest any more without paying ASCAP fee's.

The lack of innovation all this causes is what's turned us in to a country of broke, unemployed consumers instead of working, energetic inventors.

We've lost our way big time. We've allowed ridiculous greed to overcome us.

Why? Apple, like any company in the world, has a right to protect their IP. It seems to me that Google's the one who is being sleazy by saying "oops we got caught using someone else's IP. Quick! Buy up all the patents that will make us the rightful IP owner!" It's all about point of views. There's no such thing as innocent corporations.

Eh... this might be the case if their patents weren't ridiculous, and were already in use in some way or another...I admit I don't know a lot about their patents but from what I've seen .. it's utter ridiculous.

The spirit of the patent system has been lost, and is the #1 deterrent to innovation in the US now.

We've mine Mine MINE!'d ourselves into oblivion. Patents that are far too broad are being approved.

Copyright is another that's out of control. Extension after extension after extension are being allowed.

It's ridiculous that the Girl Scouts have to pay ASCAP fee's just to be able to sing around the campfire, or restaurants aren't allowed to sing Happy Birthday to a guest any more without paying ASCAP fee's.

The lack of innovation all this causes is what's turned us in to a country of broke, unemployed consumers instead of working, energetic inventors.

Agree completely
I just hope ur examples are a hyperbole and not true... That shit is way too extreme

Yeah I doubt Google would be gathering patents like this if it weren't forced too by Apple being a dick and trying to screw them over. Looks like they're making a large stick out of patents to club Apple over the head with. It is entertaining to watch.

I agree 100%. patent and copyright protection are important to make sure the inventor gets their due, but there should be a limited time to do it. No more than 10-20 years for either with no extensions allowed. That way if you make something that can be patented or copy written you either make it, license it, or sell it in a reasonable amount of time or it becomes a part of the public domain.

Eh... this might be the case if their patents weren't ridiculous, and were already in use in some way or another...I admit I don't know a lot about their patents but from what I've seen .. it's utter ridiculous.

Someone here earlier described it pretty well "Throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks".

When it was done previously, companies simply treat them as a shot in the dark. Nobody ever thought of actually being systematic about it.

Has anybody already patentented kitchen utensils that can interact with computers? I've seen demos of them being demoed for the MS surface but have they been patented?

Someone here earlier described it pretty well "Throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks".

When it was done previously, companies simply treat them as a shot in the dark. Nobody ever thought of actually being systematic about it.

Has anybody already patentented kitchen utensils that can interact with computers? I've seen demos of them being demoed for the MS surface but have they been patented?

I'm pretty sure there's a refrigerator or two with an LCD screen with the ability to pull weather reports via MSN news.

[...]

Like MLK Jr's grandkids charging the group trying to put together a monument for him management fees and licensing fees in order to use his words and likeness for a national frikkin' monument? Total of nearly $900k. :mad:

Yep and America is the land of the not so free now.

Don't forget that it's illegal to repeat Dr. King's historical "I Have A Dream Speech" in public without paying royalties

Google wouldn't have to spend billions on buying companies with patents or buying the individual patents from other companies. Apple forced this on Google. Apple's last line is the IP. They don't provide corporate services, we have 100 other companies already doing that. They offer singular products. I'm pretty sure if Apple doesn't up it's "1 years cycle", things are going to go downhill very very fast, especially if their first legal tactic doesn't work.

I honestly can't believe they didn't see this coming, or if they did, what did they expect to happen? Google just say "yeh, lets discontinue the Android 'experiment'" ? They knew what they were starting and it's simply inevitable that Google Android will be around for a much longer time.

If Apple only brings 1 revision of the iPhone out a year... mmmmm.... we will see a big change with Apple's new CEO i'm sure :)

PS: I play all my music with Apple iPods.. And I make all my calls with Android.

Cya from Aus

Lol...sorry, that's not ever gonna happen. :p

nope.
Google wants to protect the handset manufactures and open handset alliance to gain more power whitin search.

google figured out that cellphone business is a dirty business.

nope.
Google wants to protect the handset manufactures and open handset alliance to gain more power whitin search.

google figured out that cellphone business is a dirty business.

All business is dirty, it's why I'll never shake a businessman's hand. That stain won't wash off.

Back