London ISP Offers 1Gbps Fiber Broadband

HardOCP News

[H] News
Damn, how come this kind of stuff is never available where we live? It always seems to be rolled out in that "other" town/state/country.

The 1Gbps service, announced at today's launch of Hyperoptic, will cost 50 pounds per month, with 100Mbps connectivity coming in at 25 pounds per month. Virgin's 100Mbps service is priced at 35 pounds per month, while BT's up-to-40Mbps Infinity services come in at 28 pounds per month including line rental.

Note the "up to". Technically it could be up to 1Gbps, but probably wont be :p I never trust ISPs...

Note the "up to". Technically it could be up to 1Gbps, but probably wont be :p I never trust ISPs...

Well better than ISPs who know the limit, but then tier off pricing. God I love mine and my "up to" 20Mbps service, I get closer to 7Mbps... but I'm not charged any differently, they just say this is what you got. Although with fiber I think you'll be skirting closer to that up to, than with a service like DSL. Especially if it's not a major ISP provider (AT&T, Comcast, etc)

They got fiber just north of me as a "test bed"... I'm waiting for them to go 40 miles south... $80 for 1Gbps, or $40 for 100Mbps (phone service is included with that!)

i blame the FCC and Govt Involvement :mad:

You should blame the ISPs for not upgrading their network with the billions they make from customers and instead over-populating nodes and introducing caps because they're too damn cheap to spend money.

as usual, the usa won't get that for another 5 years at least.

US telecommunications companies are too busy price gouging their customers. They have no want or need to upgrade the infrastructure necessary to produce those kinds of speeds while people are paying way too much for inadequate service.

Seeing as everyone else will be using the same exchange box in the street, and it's London, yeah nowhere near 1Gbps.

Sounds great, but if you have just read through or are qualified in networking and telephony technologies, you know it's only fiber from either your door to the exchange box, or from the box, to the central hub, at least one major part of that setup is good old fashioned copper.

And your totally screwed if you don't live in an area where they haven't laid the fiber lines (that was a major issue with any villages outside the main town like mine, even certain areas in the town).

and that's why I love my ISP. I'm paying 60$ for 30mbps cable. But Honestly speed tests and actual downloads often come up faster than advertised.

You should blame the ISPs for not upgrading their network with the billions they make from customers and instead over-populating nodes and introducing caps because they're too damn cheap to spend money.

i got Fiber to my closet :p speeds of 30/25Mbps constant :D

just i pay $120 US for 1 TV and internet... where as $80 would be for 1Gbps

as usual, the usa won't get that for another 5 years at least.

The USA does have that already.... the ENTIRE USA doesn't of course, and if you think 5 years to have a major injection of technology to most people (i.e. large population centers first) you my friend are dreaming.

Not quite as good as Australia rolling out FTTP to 94% of the population or something but it should be a good service.

Sadly my apartment block is too small to qualify but I'd consider them credible, I was signed up to their original company when it started and had rock solid 24meg adsl with no limits and for £24 a month. No-one else came close to them in price for years.

I can't really complain about my ISP, my rate is $45 a month but it hasn't increased since I first got DSL over 12 years ago, and now even includes the wireless modem/router which you used to have to buy yourself for a couple hundred dollars and there are no limites or caps, hard of soft, on usage.

Also the speed was orginally 384K down and 128K up and is now 12M down and 768K up and the best part is I normally get 11-12M down and it's not unusual to peak up as high as 13-14M down.

Sure it's not 1Gbs but let's be honest, how much speed can a person actually use? You can only download a page or file as fast as the site can send it to you, and that's the rub, most times you wont use all your available download bandwidth simply because the uploading site wont send it to you fast enough.

i blame my ISP for not be able to upgrade the network in my area. i've been using my cable for 10yr, and it's always been 1.5m down, 384k up. never change for 10 yr. only thing changed was my monthly bill, used to be 45, now it's 50.

Gee if i had that and roadrunner, I could use up my 350gig cap in a matter of hours......woopie..:p

Sure it's not 1Gbs but let's be honest, how much speed can a person actually use?
You should see my Giganews monthly totals. ;-)

You can only download a page or file as fast as the site can send it to you, and that's the rub, most times you wont use all your available download bandwidth simply because the uploading site wont send it to you fast enough.
True, but I see >2.5MB/sec from most of the sites that I download from.

I'm on a 50/30 FIOS connection btw. I'm thinking about saving a chunk of change and going with a bundle package that included 35/35 service. I think I'll be able to survive with that. :)

Sure it's not 1Gbs but let's be honest, how much speed can a person actually use? You can only download a page or file as fast as the site can send it to you, and that's the rub, most times you wont use all your available download bandwidth simply because the uploading site wont send it to you fast enough.

There's more than a few ways to saturate a 1Gbps connection...

Doubt the US will get this until another few decades have passed. At best. Google Comcast TATA New York and see how they're lying to consumers and governments.

This is Britain after all so you'll get like a 50meg cap and a CCTV camera in your bedroom. :D

Let's be clear: the things stopping this srot of crazy pipe here in the states are manyfold:

1- Geography. Learn to read a map.
2- Why bother? Most folks are happy with Comcast/TW/WTF
3- ISPs are dominated by TV providers. They don't want to canibalize their obsolete business model.

I have Frontier FiOS. Not to be confused with Verizon FiOS. Frontier is doing their best to kill the TV side of their business. As such they don't care about caps. Data is cheap out there and you can satureate like a BOSS at 50/50 24/7 and you don't get as much as a peep from them.

But they care only for their copper business so the FTTH side is not getting any capacity TLC. GBPs? LOL. I doubt their executives even know what that means. They just want to sell rotary phones to old ladies.

Comcasts complaints about users sucking bandwidth are bullshit FUD, generated to distract from the fact that their 250GB cap and slow ass uplink speeds are directly tied to protecting their subscription TV service.

So. There it is. Protectionst TV ISPs with out dated business models with monoplies in many communities. Their competition: retarded last century telcos with no clue.

We're fucked.

From an article (March 2011) in The Register OFCOM are coming down hard on the "up to" BS.

The regulator has been pushing for ISPs to only advertise speeds based on a Typical Speeds Range (TSR), to make it easier for customers to understand the figures dished out by broadband providers.

Anyway; Shaw are offering in parts of southern BC, Canada 250Mbps for $119 with unlimited download (there's a * in there price/service though :/); also I read they're trialing 1Gbps in Van.

Ah! the "*" is upto - lol

This prompted me to do an online chat with Knology and ask them what the cost of their 25/5 service was.

They told me it was $54 + taxes and fees... which is what I have been paying them for 12/2 service.

I asked them if the price changed recently.. and they said it just changed the beginning of this month... I know what I am doing when I get home.. calling them and having them up my speed.

The 12/2 service is $15 cheaper now.. so $39.... at least they are dropping their prices.

At the same time, Comcast is running a bunch of new lines around my area as well.

Which federal regulations are stopping better ISP build outs and faster pipes? Be specific.

Oh. Wait. It's not. :rolleyes:

LOL, I always love hearing people blame government regulation without knowing what it regulates. The fact of matter is, the federal government has given ISPs billions (yes billions not millions) to roll out fiber and upgrade their infrastructure, which has been pocketed by said ISPs because the government didn't put strings on how the money was to be spent. Shocking as it may sound, what the market needs is more federal oversight not less. Currently, ISP cable deployment is dictated and run through local governments, which take a paycheck from the large companies and block out any competition. Nationalizing our fiber, since in almost all cases taxes paid for anyway, then bidding out maintenance and upgrade contracts on a city/county basis could not only reduce costs but force fiber to be rolled out. This wouldn't guarantee that ISPs roll our fiber to your house, since they would still handle end point connections, but it would greatly reduce their argument for not being able to do so. Basically we are looking at Bell 2.0.

At work we pay $60/month for 1.5Mbps/128Kbps
And
$85/month for 512Kbps/512Kbps

Cable is not available because all the lines are buried under the street... Sucks big time.

Hehehehehehehe....

31/6.. oh yeah.. for possibly cheaper then I was paying for 12/2....

If you currently have Knology.. call them and ask them if they have changed pricing in your area.

I can tell you why the US does not have such speed. Way back, the US government gave all the communication companies tax breaks with the agreement that they build a high speed internet infrastructure.

They didn't pay the taxes, and they didn't build it...

They pocketed it...as usual.

Look it up.

Taxpayers like us screwed again.

I can tell you why the US does not have such speed. Way back, the US government gave all the communication companies tax breaks with the agreement that they build a high speed internet infrastructure.

They didn't pay the taxes, and they didn't build it...

They pocketed it...as usual.

Look it up.

Taxpayers like us screwed again.

This is true.... but the bigger players do have the speed available now.. they just cap it at your modem.

Comcast in my area has a 50/10 plan.. and I am sure it bursts to at least 100/20.

Knology has a 25/5 plan that currently runs at 30-32/5-6.5 It bursts past 50 down.

The speed is there on Docsis 3.0 systems.. but they are capping the speed.

LOL, I always love hearing people blame government regulation without knowing what it regulates. The fact of matter is, the federal government has given ISPs billions (yes billions not millions) to roll out fiber and upgrade their infrastructure, which has been pocketed by said ISPs because the government didn't put strings on how the money was to be spent. Shocking as it may sound, what the market needs is more federal oversight not less. Currently, ISP cable deployment is dictated and run through local governments, which take a paycheck from the large companies and block out any competition. Nationalizing our fiber, since in almost all cases taxes paid for anyway, then bidding out maintenance and upgrade contracts on a city/county basis could not only reduce costs but force fiber to be rolled out. This wouldn't guarantee that ISPs roll our fiber to your house, since they would still handle end point connections, but it would greatly reduce their argument for not being able to do so. Basically we are looking at Bell 2.0.

At this point, the state of Maine essentially owns Fairpoint, and we still can't get them to roll out a new backbone.

Well better than ISPs who know the limit, but then tier off pricing. God I love mine and my "up to" 20Mbps service, I get closer to 7Mbps... but I'm not charged any differently, they just say this is what you got. Although with fiber I think you'll be skirting closer to that up to, than with a service like DSL. Especially if it's not a major ISP provider (AT&T, Comcast, etc)

They got fiber just north of me as a "test bed"... I'm waiting for them to go 40 miles south... $80 for 1Gbps, or $40 for 100Mbps (phone service is included with that!)

since me up!!!

I get .9mbps on the worst effin DSL you ever laid eyes on. At least it's fairly cheap, but there's no cable within 4 miles of me. It'll be 200 years before I get 1Gbps.

The Virgin Media 50/100mbps packages have no caps. Most of the higher-tier packages do not have caps. Well, they do, but only if you are using the 100mbps 24/7 for that entire month.

What is interesting is that BT Infinity only gets up to 4xmbps yet they are fiber to the house. Virgin offers 100Mbps, yet they are fiber to the node and then use DOCSIS 3.0 as the transport.

It shows you that fiber to the house means jack shit if they don't put the bandwidth upstream to support it.

Back