Apple Wins Patent On A Kinect Clone?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, what an original idea! It's amazing! Magical! It's a Kinect! :rolleyes:

Apple's patent covers a wild 3D system that could generate an invisible space in front of the user that could allow them to work with holographic images or project their hands onto a screen in front of them to manipulate switches or move pieces of virtual paper or parts of a presentation. One could only image how this could be applied to 3D gaming, business or medical applications in the future.

Wait how is this allowed? You allowed to make totally vague patents which are like other things that already exsist? Can I patent a car that moves under the power of electricity or computers that talk to each other via beams of light down glass cables? :D

Im sure microsoft will be overjoyed at apple being granted this patent. its very strange that apple were granted a patent for something microsoft must surely have a patent for allready.

Um, what the fuck? Apple can downright duplicate other peoples' products, but nobody else is allowed even making a tablet?

As someone who has dealt with the patent office, I can assure you that thousands of patents are issued for identical things all the time. It's more about the specifics of execution and innovative differences than general concepts.

Um, what the fuck? Apple can downright duplicate other peoples' products, but nobody else is allowed even making a tablet?

Heh, very astute observation. They gotta stop drinking the Appleaid @ the patent office apparently!

So, next year Apple is going to sue Microsoft and force them to stop selling the Kinect in Germany?

I am really starting to just have it with Apple right now... they must love pissing everyone off lately...

I am really starting to just have it with Apple right now... they must love pissing everyone off lately...

They've always done this it's just now they've far surpassed even microsoft in their douchbaggery.

Today's granted patent was published the USPTO and credits Apple's Christoph Krah as the sole inventor. The original filing was made in Q4 2005.

Apple probably knew about the PrimeSense’s system, which is at the heart of Microsoft’s Kinect game controller, before Microsoft did.. quoting PrimeSense CEO Inon Beracha:

he’d already had several meetings at Apple. It was the first place he and his engineers thought of. “It was the most natural place for the technology.. Yet the initial meetings hadn’t gone so well. Obsessed with secrecy, Apple had already asked Beracha to sign a stack of crippling legal agreements and NDAs.

He shook his head. Why didn’t he want to do a deal with Apple? No need. The technology was hot. He could sell it to anyone.

“Apple is a pain in the ass,” he said, smiling.

Reactions: Santa
like this
Well Microsoft has enough lawyers to sink this patent as it is worded. On another note, another company out of Ohio is already suing Microsoft for violating their patents with the Kinect. These patents dating back to 2001.

Sony's been doing this for at least five years, certainly on a smaller scale but still.

Please don't link to that site and give them any more traffic in the future. They are editing comments and removing valid points against the patent and posting edited comments to reframe what people are actually posting in order to make non-apple-fanboys look bad. It is a garbage site of the worst order.

Please don't link to that site and give them any more traffic in the future. They are editing comments and removing valid points against the patent and posting edited comments to reframe what people are actually posting in order to make non-apple-fanboys look bad. It is a garbage site of the worst order.

They do have a disclaimer.

About Comments: Patently Apple reserves the right to post, dismiss or edit comments.

Welcome to our patent system, where you can be granted patents on someone else's tech, And in case of Apple, later on use that patent to sue the original owner that brought the technology forth.

Apple probably knew about the PrimeSense’s system, which is at the heart of Microsoft’s Kinect game controller, before Microsoft did.. quoting PrimeSense CEO Inon Beracha:

And there you have Apple's modus operandi, see a product before it's even been released make it hard for someone to sign it over or sell it then immediately apply for a patent for such a device or concept then start working out how to actually make it !!!

How many "apps" are now built into iOS that were stolen from developers external to Apple over the years and incorporated into said devices.

Look at The Beatles recording label http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corps that Apple so blatantly used the logo and sued to acquire it. (didn't read full article so I may be misquoting)

So many more inventions or idea's or concepts that have been used by apple over the decades is appalling

They patented rectangular devices with a screen. Why not this too?

Next up: patenting concave food containers. Anyone who makes bowls better start being afraid of apple!

Lmao, I can only hope this is a result of me and others letting their two cents be known to the editors.

Haha nice. I stopped reading the comments because they were making me mad. That site is a joke.

The editor must have been living under a rock. Such technology is already being used in gaming, no need to imagine that.

This isn't as good as Microsoft's double click patent that they got just a few years ago.

^Hah! They got a patent for "double click?" That's hilarious... stupid patent, no doubt, but I think Wizards of the coast patented turning the card sideways, and or anything that signifies the card has been used.

The question is... was it before anyone used it? Or was it after?

^Hah! They got a patent for "double click?" That's hilarious... stupid patent, no doubt, but I think Wizards of the coast patented turning the card sideways, and or anything that signifies the card has been used.

Who got the patent for single button control?

Just wait now for the iplay console (the interface will be ios with swiping done with your hands, about it really, just a phone on your tv), or the next ipad to have gestering.

They patented "tapping" (which is the term for turning the card sideways) specifically in card games.

The kinect is never NOT going to get copied... its a unique innovative product that needs to be done by more companies. It's just all around good for people.

I think we will see various similar product very soon.... there are ways to avoid patent laws

And supposedly the new Wii system coming out uses this same type of "motion sensor"

holding a patent on this is like holding a patent on the PC... its too good for people to not get copied some way.

They patented "tapping" (which is the term for turning the card sideways) specifically in card games.

Uh, yea... more or less what I said. It's still a ridiculous patent.

I don't think the whole Kinect thing should really be patent-able. Atleast the idea of using motion, maybe the absolute specific implementation.

Last year I posted a comment disparaging this site for what I believed was an unfair treatment of apple. I stand corrected... sorry.

Sounds considerably different to me.

Look... me and the McDonald's people got this little misunderstanding. See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. :D

Back