Facebook 'Smart Lists' Go Live Tomorrow

HardOCP News

[H] News
Don't like creating friends lists? Let Facebook do it for you! You know this is going to lead to some unintentionally hilarious moments. :eek:

Now, Facebook will automatically group your friends based on whether they live near you, went to your school or work with you. You can read posts or share updates with specific groups instead of dozens, or hundreds, of "friends" at a time. Facebook will use the colleges, workplaces and geographic locations that users share on the site to organize people into groups. Called "smart lists," the feature is optional to use, and the lists are customizable.

This will also reset all of your privacy settings and reveal your entire phonebook, contacts, and personal info to the world (you know, the ones you had to turn back off the last time they added a "feature").

Uhg...more facebook crap. Aside from Apple, Facebook is pretty much the furthest away from being [H] you can get.

This will also reset all of your privacy settings and reveal your entire phonebook, contacts, and personal info to the world (you know, the ones you had to turn back off the last time they added a "feature").

why would you put that stuff on there anyways.....:rolleyes:

why would you put that stuff on there anyways.....:rolleyes:

When i bought my new smartphone it came with gapps (like 99% of other android phones). I linked my gmail account to the phone, you know, so i could email and stuff, get on the android market, etc etc.

Downloaded the facebook app. A few weeks later, someone links me info about facebook sharing your phonebook. Apparently gmail + facebook = my entire contacts list of my phone was sync to gapps and then over to facebook, and anyone who was my "friend" (some of whom are just acquaintances of course) could see my entire phone book.

Sure, I could have been paranoid about things and checked this after installing the app, but how was I supposed to know? The cryptic ToS which doesn't even directly speak of this "feature" ?

When i bought my new smartphone it came with gapps (like 99% of other android phones). I linked my gmail account to the phone, you know, so i could email and stuff, get on the android market, etc etc.

Downloaded the facebook app. A few weeks later, someone links me info about facebook sharing your phonebook. Apparently gmail + facebook = my entire contacts list of my phone was sync to gapps and then over to facebook, and anyone who was my "friend" (some of whom are just acquaintances of course) could see my entire phone book.

Sure, I could have been paranoid about things and checked this after installing the app, but how was I supposed to know? The cryptic ToS which doesn't even directly speak of this "feature" ?

Yeah, that's not accurate. The only phone numbers that are shared are people that have already added their phone numbers to FB to begin with.
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/08/11/facebook-isnt-sharing-your-phone-numbers-with-the-world/

Quote:
Now, Facebook will automatically group your friends based on whether they live near you, went to your school or work with you. You can read posts or share updates with specific groups instead of dozens, or hundreds, of "friends" at a time. Facebook will use the colleges, workplaces and geographic locations that users share on the site to organize people into groups. Called "smart lists," the feature is optional to use, and the lists are customizable.

So any lists made now are obsolete? If they do that, oh god what a mess that will make. And yes it probably will default privacy back to wide open. Which is why there's next to no info on my profile.

Wonder what will they do with all of us who DON'T have our school, work or city/state listed or our phone number or our full DOB?

This is going to be a major PITA. I use FB and I know from my friends that I'm not the only one who has a little info as possible and be able to have a FB account. They don't know where I live (the sidebar ads that are "targeted" to me are in a different state ... HUH?), they never had my phone# (I knew about the anyone on your friend list could see your number), they don't have my schooling info and I'm disabled and don't work.

how about you leave facebook if you want to be alone ;) ;)

I don't dislike facebook as it was. The original social tool, but they are playing into the same trap Myspace fell in just dicking around with it more and more trying to keep people interested until they flushed everyone into going some where else.

Don't like creating friends lists? Let Facebook do it for you! You know this is going to lead to some unintentionally hilarious moments. :eek:

ROFL! isn't this exactly like Google+ and it.... OH, already answered.

*Cough* Google+ "Circles" feature in disguise*Cough*

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

How much more obvious can facebook be at copying Google+???????!?!?!?

ROFL! All I have to say to all you facebook fanboys is... TOLD ya so!

ahhahaha, facebook is so pathetic. Copy and promote as something you made... that's what facebook has done since DAY 1. Please quit being in denial you sheeple.Because this is 100% solid fact I am not BS now.

K... thanks.

This post has made my day on this forum.

Like I said, Google+ is the best. This shows it quite clearly, because twitter/facebook have copied it for the past 2-3 months.

Uhg...more facebook crap. Aside from Apple, Facebook is pretty much the furthest away from being [H] you can get.

I am definitely starting to feel you on that one. It seems he posts them to get more hits on [H] I am guessing?

There are alone, ehhhh 3 of them today, which is quite obvious and kind of annoying in my opinion.

It's getting out of hand here, I talk about how bad facebook is in almost every post where facebook comes up daily.... and the fanboys are running out of roots to grab as they fall down the hill like the rest of the sheep. This post was definitely their 'last root' for debate. I definitely know this is a copy of Google+ "circles" for facebook, there is no denying that. is it smart? I don't know... I do know now that almost all the facebook sheeple will claim facebook had it 'first' in a few months, when in actuality, they never saw the google+ which clearly made up this "directed posts to certain people" widget.

Migrate now.... before you fall of the cliff of Facebook Falls.

All companies "copy" each others ideas all the time, so why is it when something you all hate does it it's a whole new ball game? Sorry but it's the same ball game just different teams playing ;).

I am definitely starting to feel you on that one. It seems he posts them to get more hits on [H] I am guessing?

There are alone, ehhhh 3 of them today, which is quite obvious and kind of annoying in my opinion.

It's getting out of hand here, I talk about how bad facebook is in almost every post where facebook comes up daily.... and the fanboys are running out of roots to grab as they fall down the hill like the rest of the sheep. This post was definitely their 'last root' for debate. I definitely know this is a copy of Google+ "circles" for facebook, there is no denying that. is it smart? I don't know... I do know now that almost all the facebook sheeple will claim facebook had it 'first' in a few months, when in actuality, they never saw the google+ which clearly made up this "directed posts to certain people" widget.

Migrate now.... before you fall of the cliff of Facebook Falls.

You make 3 posts in a row about facebook, and you try to call other people sheep for using it? :rolleyes: Sounds like Google+ isnt all that and you're trying your fanboy best to defend it.

Back