SkyDrive to Allow Unlimited Photo and Document Storage

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you use Windows Live Sky Drive and are running a little tight for storage space (although it’s doubtful that an average user would exceed the 25GB capacity), you are about to get a giant storage boost. Sky Drive 5 will offer unlimited cloud storage in the ‘near future’.

Microsoft is currently developing native clients for Windows, Mac OS X, iOS and Android along with the client embedded into Windows Phone 7.

Is it really 25GB? When I looked into it, they only offered 5gb for free.

I hope they make an IOS app or a simple web based one. Sounds great anyway though.

The drop box competitor is live mesh. Install it and you will see. Syncs up to 5gb with the cloud and unlimited amounts with devices. There is also some integration between live mesh and skydrive. Integration should be getting better. Right now they seem to operate as 2 separate services. So somethings work better from skydrive like editing documents online. And other things work better through mesh like remote login to your computers and so on.

BTW live mesh to me is really good. I have a desktop for work and play at home and a nice laptop. Sometimes I leave my laptop at work, when I arrive at home everything I did that day at work from documents to one note is already on my desktop and ready to go. If I am every anywhere without either I can access it all online. And because of the space limits if there is anything I did not sync with skydrive then I just use live mesh to remote desktop in and get those files off of my desktop or laptop. The only thing I lack so far is integration with android. Which is why if sprint ever gets some better windows phone 7 phones I will probably jump off the android ship.

Anyhow right now I sync files with android by sugar sync. But andoid also is missing a good note taking program closest thing to one note is ever note and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to share notebooks with ever note, on top of it being clumsy UI.

LOL I totally misread it. Glad they are making an IOS version. This is awesome!

The drop box competitor is live mesh. Install it and you will see. Syncs up to 5gb with the cloud and unlimited amounts with devices. There is also some integration between live mesh and skydrive. Integration should be getting better. Right now they seem to operate as 2 separate services. So somethings work better from skydrive like editing documents online. And other things work better through mesh like remote login to your computers and so on.

I used to use Live Sync and Mesh, but one of the updates they released did not like my computer, added an extra 1.5 minutes to the boot time so I had to uninstall it. May have to try it again, it was on my list of "3 decent programs actually made by Microsoft".

Sweet...WP7 Mango also improves on SkyDrive integration by allowing you to access and edit the documents you have on your SkyDrive, as well as upload pictures, videos, and such on there.

I hope they integrate Live Mesh and Sky Drive even more, and offer unlimited storage for Live Mesh as well. My 50GB Dropbox is getting filled up quickly.
I don't really feel like paying for more since there are cheaper alternatives, and Dropbox has had some serious security flaws recently. I'd rather keep the private key myself. Sharing that kind of defeats the purpose of encryption.

Between the tight Skydrive Integration featured in Mango, as well as the 50GB of storage FOR LIFE I got with one Touchpads I bought for the firesale, I'm pretty set for cloud storage for life.

And yet, I don't use it at all since I already have tons of local storage. One of these days I plan on getting myself a nice NAS or WHS as well. But, I guess if I need the cloud storage, I definitely have it.

The biggest thing I wish for is that the access to files from the mesh sky drive would allow document opening online. Other than that I do not care if M$ charges money for skydrive to upgrade space I would pay because it is so useful, but that would depend on how much they charge. They need to get reasonable fees like $25 per year or so.

Solid state cloud storage is not about expanding capacity for most people. It is about accessing files anywhere, it is about a reliable back up system. ANd it is about keeping files in sync accross multiple devices.

If you use Windows Live Sky Drive and are running a little tight for storage space (although it’s doubtful that an average user would exceed the 25GB capacity), you are about to get a giant storage boost. Sky Drive 5 will offer unlimited cloud storage in the ‘near future’.

You'd be surprised. My brother and sister in law takes pictures of their new kid seemingly 10 to 20 times a day with a Canon digital camera and they refuse to compress it or shrink the size of the pictures. The kid is only a year and 11 months old and their image folder has already reached around 12gb.

MS needs to do a ton of work to make it more robust. Linking files would be a start, and an optimized photo browser would be great as well. I have been using it with my WM7 phone, but if I could find a great picassa app I would drop it.

Its nice it uploads automatically, but I have to download it to my desktop and rehost it to post somewhere? The browser is so bad that you can't scroll through the pics or have them in a large grid, and have to choose one at a time.

MS needs to do a ton of work to make it more robust. Linking files would be a start, and an optimized photo browser would be great as well. I have been using it with my WM7 phone, but if I could find a great picassa app I would drop it.

Its nice it uploads automatically, but I have to download it to my desktop and rehost it to post somewhere? The browser is so bad that you can't scroll through the pics or have them in a large grid, and have to choose one at a time.

Have you tried picplz ?

I'm looking forward to all my "documents" being backed up, especially my Linux ISOs. :p

Back