Footprints ID People Like Fingerprints

HardOCP News

[H] News
How do you get money to research stuff like this? Seriously...I want to know. Imagine trying to analyze "gait patterns" when a barefoot criminal stubs his toe, sprains an ankle or steps on a nail. Yeah, this is going to be just as good as fingerprints. :rolleyes:

How a bare foot strikes the ground as one walks reveals your identity almost as well as a fingerprint, according to a study released Wednesday. The discovery means that one day retinal scans, voice recognition and old-fashioned mugshots may be joined by foot-pressure patterns as a means of confirming ID, it suggests.

now we just have to keep track of what type of shoes everyone is wearing and this will be useful!

Facts cannot be beaten.

Fat guys will step deeper into the earth than a woman.

And toe prints look identical to fingerprints to the naked eye.... so I don't see what could make them different besides what part of the body they are on. No matter what its at... it's a unique, indented pattern on your body. I've heard of people on TV making "new" fingerprints and toeprints though with some type of acid that burns their skin and prints off.

This could also relate to video capture of a criminal whom they do not have facial or fingerprint reference to go on.

Example, man robs a bank but keeps his face hidden, walks away on and off camera. A suspect is detained, and then his walking pattern compared to that of the criminal. This could give a positive identification of the criminal as the suspect.

You can easily identify your friends and family if you pay attention to their gait. An example of this is recognizing someone from a far distance. You really cannot see their face, but you could discern between people with the same hair/height/size as your family member by seeing how they walk.

WTF!! This is common knowledge. They used to take a new borns foot print and put it on the birth record. Not only did it save a lot of confusion when they gave the kid out to the wrong parents, the print is unique to the individual. I don't know if they still do it but they should. So they paid some moron a million bucks to tell us this? Stupid Stupid people. CSI 101 you dipstick politicians.

WTF!! This is common knowledge. They used to take a new borns foot print and put it on the birth record. Not only did it save a lot of confusion when they gave the kid out to the wrong parents, the print is unique to the individual. I don't know if they still do it but they should. So they paid some moron a million bucks to tell us this? Stupid Stupid people. CSI 101 you dipstick politicians.

They're not talking about the actual pattern embedded in your skin. They're talking about the pattern of your steps (how far apart they are, any irregularities like you move your left foot further than your right, maybe a slight lean to one side making one print more prominent than the other).

Back