Microsoft and Acer Sign Patent License Agreement

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft Corp. and Acer Inc. have executed a patent license agreement that includes broad coverage under Microsoft’s patent portfolio for Acer’s tablets and smartphones running the Android platform. “We are pleased that Acer is taking advantage of our industrywide licensing program established to help companies address Android’s IP issues,” said Horacio Gutierrez, corporate vice president and deputy general counsel of Intellectual Property and Licensing at Microsoft. “This agreement is an example of how industry leaders can reach commercially reasonable arrangements that address intellectual property.”

"We are pleased that Acer is bending over and taking in the ass cause they are too chicken sh*t to fight microsofts BS patent claims, to help companies address Android’s IP issues,"

Fixed...

"We are pleased that Acer is bending over and taking in the ass cause they are too chicken sh*t to fight microsofts BS patent claims, to help companies address Android’s IP issues,"

Fixed...
How do you know they're BS? Microsoft isn't a patent troll and their actions are not as bad as Apple where they work hard to prevent ANY android product from actually competing against the iPad.

On Engadget, Apple is getting a bad rap for the patent trolling that they are doing. MS is such an underdog now that whatever scrap it can get on Android..all thh better for them, I say.

I just want a good Windows 8 for tablet and for PC, and to see cloud services integrating the data share between them.

Windows 8, its everywhere

-new slogon for W8.

I find it funny that any company making $6B per quarter can be described as an underdog. Particularly one with something like a 90%+ share of the PC OS market.

MS really needs to find a way to fight this perception. Even Google'ing a CNN story to get the profit number above, the choice of words in the article is telling. Sales of Windows "slumped"....by 1%. 1% is a slump? To the dictionary!

slump   /slʌmp/
verb (used without object)
1. to drop or fall heavily; collapse: Suddenly she slumped to the floor.
2. to assume a slouching, bowed, or bent position or posture: Stand up straight and don't slump!
3. to decrease or fall suddenly and markedly, as prices or the market.

So yeah, they're dealing with a lot of BS out there.

How do you know they're BS? Microsoft isn't a patent troll and their actions are not as bad as Apple where they work hard to prevent ANY android product from actually competing against the iPad.

Their patent trolling may not be as flagrant as Apples, but they have been trolling for years. A quick search for, "microsoft patent lawsuits" will turn up quite a few examples. Microsoft has filed suits against Google as well, for supposed Android "violations." They are trying just as hard to kill it as Apple is.

'Slump' or 'underdog' is all relative: The PC market is saturated and is the majority of the "devices" out there. Since this is market share that can be either lost or not growing, the perception is that such things as tablet (apple), smartphones are "growing". The latter two may not have that 90% share like PC's but they are growing.

If Microsoft dropped its prices for Windows 7, 8, I wonder if PC sales would pick up. I am sure one of the big reasons someone chooses tablets/smartphones besides convenience is of the OS cost. At least MS is selling Win7 Pro to students for something like $50. Retail, W7Pro is $150 or more.

Setting in stone, the rediculous microsoft tax for buying computers. I don't use Windows (too insecure, too intrusive and too nosy) and have no intention to EVER use it again.

Yet, I have to pay a license fee when I buy a computer, just because they are given permission to rape my pocketbook for no benefit to me (and damned sure no pleasure)

PS: Anyone that thinks windows is secure... they have more holes than fixes, every month. More and more, the updates (if they don't blow you out of the water) are apt to include garbage to ruin the programs you use, or invade your privacy... as in their phone/tracking device that feed back to them what you do... and they do it on your desktop, too)

Setting in stone, the rediculous microsoft tax for buying computers. I don't use Windows (too insecure, too intrusive and too nosy) and have no intention to EVER use it again.

Yet, I have to pay a license fee when I buy a computer, just because they are given permission to rape my pocketbook for no benefit to me (and damned sure no pleasure)

PS: Anyone that thinks windows is secure... they have more holes than fixes, every month. More and more, the updates (if they don't blow you out of the water) are apt to include garbage to ruin the programs you use, or invade your privacy... as in their phone/tracking device that feed back to them what you do... and they do it on your desktop, too)

Get your precious Linux distro's wee-wee out of your mouth for a second and think about what kind forum you're posting on. All operating systems have their pros and cons and to even try and act like you use some kind of super secure OS that windows (or any other OS at that) is so inferior to is just BS. For every secure point one OS has, there is a flaw in the next OS. That goes for all OSes.

If you don't use Windows then how would you know? This is mostly nonsense and hyperbolic FUD.

For someone on [H] you shoudl know...

What OS is more secure tell me please...

Besides... You DO NOT have to buy a new PC with windows. If you are truly [H] you know you should build your own instead, and save money the whole time.

If you feel compelled to buy a new completyely pre-built PC...buy a MAC, its a PC with a different OS. (Oh, you pay for that too...)

old rang, has any Linux distro patched against the bad SSL certs now being published yet? (Microsoft has,BTW)

I feel obliged to make a few small points and then walk away. So here they are...

(1) I've used Windows. I've used Ubuntu. I've used SuSE (an old version, but used is used). I've even been found on a few Macs. My favorite OS is called Puppy Linux.

It's a single user, run-as-root-by-default Linux OS that installs and runs best when it simply copies the LiveCD (or USB install) over to a hard drive and has a bootloader slapped squarely on top. Sounds as secure as putting a million dollars in a safe with no door, right?

Read this before you start laughing. Puppy gets more than an honorable mention.

(2) That said, ALL operating systems have their drawbacks (IIRC this was said earlier in the discussion). Windows has its price, monetary and otherwise. But so does Linux, MacOS, Android, Unix... you name it, it has both strengths and weaknesses. Just like the humans that made it. All you can do is pick the set that's best for you.

(3) I believe that a lot of the problems that occur with Windows are user issues -- people who are at the keyboard when they should not be, simply because they do not fully understand what they are doing. If you've ever uninstalled an antivirus program to download an MP3, or simply not known that you need one... I'm looking at you, kiddo.

The reason I say that, is that I am on the Puppy Linux support forum. There are a lot of people who ask for support by saying something very similar to "OH HI I JUST INSTALLED [latest fancy version] ON THIS ANTEDILUVIAN RELIC I FOUND IN MY BASEMENT AND IT DOESN'T WORK!!" and they actually expect that we should not need any additional (read: actually useful) information to tell them what's wrong. Unfortunately, if I told them what was really wrong, I'd be banned and gone in a matter of seconds.

Thank you, IBM, for making the computer personal for all of us -- including idiots who aren't smart enough to realize that they need to stay away from the Mysterious Internet Box until they're smart enough to use it properly.

(4) Regarding cellular telephone technology... anyone with the right technology can very easily track every cellphone made after about 1998. Any cell phone with a clock built into it has to automatically sync itself sooner or later. The procedure is the same for making a call. The phone sends out a query, which three cell towers respond to. It then picks the strongest signal of the three responses (the nearest tower) and it then places the call or syncs the clock or whatever.

The more common name for this procedure is triangulation. It's a method of pinpointing someone's location. While cellphone-tower triangulation will invariably be less precise (by far) than GPS... if you can access the logs that the towers keep, you're good to go, stalker-man.

OK, I've said my piece and I'm walking away. I don't really care what you make of me; I know what I know and that's good enough for me ;) Have fun.

When mom and pop devs make a linux distro that is super slick on tablets then it will be on topic to this discussion.

When mom and pop devs make a linux distro that is super slick on tablets then it will be on topic to this discussion.

Andriod isn't mom and pop but it fits the bill...

This makes me wonder how much of my post you actually bothered to read. Ignoring that, as well as how tempted I am to post the sort of image that would constitute threadcrapping...

There is a port of Debian for ARM CPUs... if you really want it. That said, you'll be doing a lot of coding, because tablet hardware is actually more proprietary than most of what's in a laptop.

That should sufficiently address the intellectual material actually present in your post ;)

This makes me wonder how much of my post you actually bothered to read. Ignoring that, as well as how tempted I am to post the sort of image that would constitute threadcrapping...

There is a port of Debian for ARM CPUs... if you really want it. That said, you'll be doing a lot of coding, because tablet hardware is actually more proprietary than most of what's in a laptop.

That should sufficiently address the intellectual material actually present in your post ;)

I read all of your post. Is there a working independent distro that has a tablet os?

NO there isn't, so your puppy ramblings are not on topic. So who is the one thread crapping.

What exactly does android use of microsoft ? i do not get it.

slightly off-track, but relevant

I saw a news print advertisement recently pairing standard netbook with MeeGo OS. If they are willing to open the gate for MeeGo, I suppose tablet will be soon.

My apology I could not recall exactly where, but it is a branded netbook.

What exactly does android use of microsoft ? i do not get it.

Good question. There's got to be something that Microsoft has that's pretty powerful as it seems too many companies are signing these deals for there only to be the threat of an iffy lawsuit to force their hand.

At any rate Microsoft has been in the mobile phone OS business much longer than Google so its very possible that Microsoft has good leverage, whatever it is.

Back