Facebook Doubles First-Half Revenue

HardOCP News

[H] News
I want to say I am surprised but, given the amount of time people spend on the site, it's no wonder Facebook has doubled its revenue.

Facebook's revenue doubled to $1.6 billion in 2011's first half, a source with knowledge of its financials told Reuters, underscoring its appeal to advertisers while it grapples with intensifying competition from the likes of Google Inc.

I just deactivated my account. Got sick and tired of having my arse handed to me in Deep Realms. :mad:

They really are unstoppable these days.....

Gonna be pretty hard to unseat them as the social network of choice unless they *really* piss all their users off in an amazing way that hasnt happened yet.... they have reached an amazing critical mass...

Steve, any reason why you and Kyle aren't making as much considering your site and Facebook site are both means of internet communications? I actually wonder how one can make so much running web sites like Mark's doing it.

the [H] sites have nothing on facebook's 500 million users sharing their intimate personal details and constantly providing a stream of information on their likes, dislikes, locations, travels, friends, the evolutions of their lives.....

It really is the holy grail of marketing, there has never been anything better, in the history of marketing.

Steve, any reason why you and Kyle aren't making as much considering your site and Facebook site are both means of internet communications? I actually wonder how one can make so much running web sites like Mark's doing it.

It might have something to do with:

1. Having orders of magnitude more users
2. Having laser targeted ads due to them basically knowing everything about you
3. A userbase that is more receptive to ads, relatively speaking of course as no one likes ads. They just hate them less.

the [H] sites have nothing on facebook's 500 million users sharing their intimate personal details and constantly providing a stream of information on their likes, dislikes, locations, travels, friends, the evolutions of their lives.....

It really is the holy grail of marketing, there has never been anything better, in the history of marketing.

That is an understatement. I mean, it's insane how targeted they can get their ads, and the timing which is a large part of marketing is even more insane. Set status to engaged, start throwing up wedding related ads, set status as expecting child, throw maternity ads at them. That kind of information would take months or weeks at best through most other forms of marketing, thus not being able to strike while to iron is hot.

I'm just surprised they're not making more, and I think it probably has something to do with a good amount of their users being fakes, duplicates, or shit like profiles for dogs. That, and probably a good amount are from countries that aren't as consumer oriented as the US and other western countries to a lesser extent.

well I'm surprised internet advertisers have not realized yet that most people completely ignore their ads.

lots of facebook's value doesn't just relate to internet banner ads and whatnot, but with supplying marketing information to corporations. facebook allows them to get instant, up to date, and extremely extensive market information across almost all demographics and across a large geographical landscape....

it has obsoleted so many data mining techniques.....

It might have something to do with:

1. Having orders of magnitude more users
2. Having laser targeted ads due to them basically knowing everything about you
3. A userbase that is more receptive to ads, relatively speaking of course as no one likes ads. They just hate them less.

and 4. [H] users getting their panties in a wad and brag they use AdBlock when the [H] ads even non-evasive ads when all they could fucking do is, you know, not look at them.

I could never understand the internet rage of these people.

I only dislike ads on sites when the ads' servers are such piles of garbage that they lag the entire site from loading (the actual content) as the ads must load before anything else.

THAT is when I get irritated.

I only dislike ads on sites when the ads' servers are such piles of garbage that they lag the entire site from loading (the actual content) as the ads must load before anything else.

THAT is when I get irritated.

I'll admit that I dislike ads that loads prior to site contents too. I remember when Adsense was a new thing, I would constantly wait and watch AdSense load in the status bar before the site even tries to load back when AdSense servers were being bombarded with requests left and right.

It hasn't been a problem lately. I dunno if it's because the site is now designed to load alongside of ads or if AdSense servers have improved 10000 times.

Back