New Netflix Restriction: One Stream Per Customer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix, is there anything else you can do to screw up your once great service?

For families that share accounts and want to be able to watch more than one instant stream at the same time, they'll have to sign up for an additional Unlimited Streaming account at $7.99 a month or increase the number of DVDs in their package. To get two streams, you need to pay $19.98/month for two DVD's at a time, or $23.98 for three streams and three DVDs, or four of both for $29.98.

I can stream movies on my Xbox 360s, PS3 and PC at the same time....I am doing it right now.

So yeah, this IS news to some people.

(maybe it only applies to PC - PC streams?)

I can stream movies on my Xbox 360s, PS3 and PC at the same time....I am doing it right now.

So yeah, this IS news to some people.

(maybe it only applies to PC - PC streams?)

same here.

I'm able to stream on my PS3, my PC, iPhone and my iPad simultaneously under the same account (at least, I was the last time I tried it)

I do multiple streams fairly often as my three year old watches his shows while I watch something a little more interesting only iPad. The moment this goes into effect for me I'll start looking into alternatives.

Hasn't taken affect on me yet either. The 12 year old loves to watch Netflix off my iPhone while the 5 year old watches Netflix off my media center.

Thanks for breaking that harmony, Netflix. Let the fighting ensue :-P

Hmm, allowed me to do it right now as well. I share my account with family members as well... So... Goodbye Netfucks if this ever applies to their Canadian customers.

I think it's fair... don't really see how this is screwing up a "once great service".

Pretty sure they did this because people are sharing accounts ;) Like I let my brother in law use netflix on his PS3 thats through my account. He lives in a difrent house with a difrent ISP. It works fine that way. Hell you can be in difrent states and it works. So you could pay for one account and have 10 people using it in difrent location's. So I can see why they are doing this. I guess they couldn't figure out a better way of controling the sharing of the streams. I would just make people register there MAC adress or somthing. But all well.

According to Broadband Reports,
Update: "No Netflix member is limited to less than two concurrent streams," Netflix spokesman Steve Swasey tells Broadband Reports. "A few Netflix members have heard differently from us, which is an error that we are correcting."

It used to allow 2 concurrent streams with just the 1 DVD plan and streaming, with the 3 dvd out at a time I could do 4 concurrent streams.

I love Netflix, but they are really starting to go overboard on the restrictions, losing content, and raising prices.

They need to offer just a number of stream increase, instead of hooking it to the DVD plans.

I have been a fan of Netflix since they started, and my only gripe was the occasional damaged DVD. Then I bought a Roku to take advantage of the movie streaming option, which is great. Then they changed the billing plan so I had to pony up more money for streaming, and now I have to pay more AGAIN if I want to use a 2nd streaming device? I think they are screwing the pooch here...

Pretty sure they did this because people are sharing accounts ;) Like I let my brother in law use netflix on his PS3 thats through my account. He lives in a difrent house with a difrent ISP. It works fine that way. Hell you can be in difrent states and it works. So you could pay for one account and have 10 people using it in difrent location's. So I can see why they are doing this. I guess they couldn't figure out a better way of controling the sharing of the streams. I would just make people register there MAC adress or somthing. But all well.

Good job admitting you're violating TOS on the forum.

Well its' to prevent sharing of log in information. I know some people who do this.

In Tennessee, it's now illegal to share your Netflix account outside your home, so this change doesn't really hurt us in the state.

I just spoke with a customer service representative at Netflix who cleared something up for me. I have the 3 DVD plan, and that allows me to use 3 "streams" - whereas a 1 DVD plan would allow 1 "stream" My apologies if this is redundant information, but it seemed like good info to put out there.

Yeah they pulled that with my brother also last month. I was using his netflix account to stream a show on my PS3 and he told me that they prevented him from watching his show. Once I stopped it was fine. Funny though the day before we were both watching at the same time with no issues.

Well either way netflix is pretty much going under IMO. If they can't fill the content they got from Starz they are dead in the water in March 2012 when all that content is removed.

And announcing Netflix's reason for this switch. :D

... while the rest of the forum bitches about being screwed.

And that is why I said it lol But I dont use more then one stream at a time.. They only thing netflix gets used for in my house is my son to watch Dora the explorer lol I havn't watched anything on it in months. It's getting canceld after this month.

Netflix has decided they've had enough at the hands of their customers, hence the Seppuku. ;)

Wow... it's kinda baffling to see the number of people admitting to abusing the system... and we wonder why they might tighten the rules and this might happen?

So are they making it one stream or not. If so: /Netflix

I work for an ISP I have poeple tell me they do it all the time lol I can see why there doing it. They just want to get paid for whats being used nothing more.

It hurts the customers that don't violate the TOS too. I won't be missing Netflix.

I guess I'm one of the few customers (previously, not anymore) that actually didn't take advantage of the multiple streams per one account bonus. I always assumed that you couldn't use a second stream as long as the account was logged in somewhere else. Just seemed like an obvious business decision.

So if I pay for a streaming only account, I will have to now pay for another streaming account and/or I need to buy a dvd package in order for my son to watch netflix in his room while I am watching it down stairs??? There are better ways to limit streaming to one household at a time than simply limiting streams. But to say that I now need one account per person instead of for my household is absolutely absurd. I hope the company is filing chapter 11 by this time next year.

So if I pay for a streaming only account, I will have to now pay for another streaming account and/or I need to buy a dvd package in order for my son to watch netflix in his room while I am watching it down stairs??? There are better ways to limit streaming to one household at a time than simply limiting streams. But to say that I now need one account per person instead of for my household is absolutely absurd. I hope the company is filing chapter 11 by this time next year.

Nevermind.... RTFA lol says its limited to two streams! Whew!

read the article before saying such hasty things... you can do 2 streams, and at no time did anyone say it's one account per person.

Netflix has always had this limit, it just wasn't enforced. So people are complaining about them enforcing the current plans? I'd have to side with Netflix in this case, even though I cancel this month due to the 60% price increase on the 1 DVD/streaming plan.

1 DVD plan=1 Streams
2 DVD plan=2 Streams
3 DVD plan=3 Streams

The only reason why this is even remotely bad news is that they are announcing that they will now be enforcing their TOS, and possibly refining it a bit. In all honest though, I do not think that it will effect most people unless they share their account. I know that multiple people in my house use it, and it is definitely on multiple devices, but it will not effect my experience with it. The Starz issue will have a bigger impact, and honestly I don't watch very many Starz movies on there.

My Netflix account was never renewed after I changed all my credit cards due to the PSN hack.

Forgot my Netflix account password and tried to use the password recovery feature a couple of times to no avail so I gave up.

I don't miss it.

Back