Driver San Francisco Review: A Beautiful Dream

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know about you but I sure am looking forward to this game. If the screenshots of the game don't get you excited, this review should.

As it turns out, focusing on the driving aspect of your driving game results in an excellent, painstakingly polished experience. This won't mean much if you don't self-identify as a petrolhead, but the fact that the Murciélago LP640 is slightly slower than the LP670-4 SuperVeloce exemplifies an incredible and unexpected attention to detail found all throughout the game. All-wheel-drive vehicles perform better on rally stages than front and rear wheel drive vehicles, which understeer and oversteer respectively, just like in real life; even the gauges are true to their real world counterparts. The amount of effort put into minute details that will go mostly unnoticed is staggering.

Sounds like what Forza has been doing for years.

Competition is always nice.

I did like the Driver games that came out on PS2. This sounds fun.

Personally I'm a fan of such little details. Those tell me that the guys behind the game actually put effort into the product. Little things like that make a game more fun and immersive for me.

If it doesn't have THIS car in it.. it is a FAIL!!

camaro_parkinglot-s.jpg

Reactions: Santa
like this
i was expecting this game to be shitty after looking at the previously released gameplay videos

Will this game have leather covered Ferrari F430's?

HardOCP should put this game on eyefinity projector setup next year during GamExperince, plz!

Anyone have any idea what this guy is talking about in this thread at WSG? Is it some kind of hex edit to the .exe?

It is a hex edit of the cracked .exe. Surround/eyefinity support should be a given these days. Especially in a racing game. It is one of the genre's that benefits the most from triple monitor setups. I'll pass til they get a simpler fix

Game is really fun. I just finished the prologue and I'm having a blast.

---
Isn't it sad that pirates get to enjoy the games with less hassle and or more features?...

and dunno, i want to be a devil's advocate, but that interview seemed to me that he was (even more so than standard), in it for the money.

<<
ATi-Forum.de: Will we see the known specials of DirectX 11 in Driver: San Francisco? We talking here about features like tessellation and so on.
Martin Edmondson: PC hardware is of course considerably more advanced than console hardware now but it&#8217;s just not practical to implement two different asset sets for Driver. That&#8217;s why tessellation hardware for example can&#8217;t help us to improve the game. However a specific agreement with ATI or NVidia would change that.

ATi-Forum.de: Will it support the new ATI Eyefinity technology or PhysX?
Martin Edmondson: Eyefinity support is already planned yes. Advanced level support is still to be decided with AMD.>>

Both answers seems to me that he was only interested in adding features for the right price.

Cracked exe's usually lack protection which make them easier to work with.

You mean to tell me that, if I buy the game, I am out of luck with eyefinity, but if I pirate the game, I can do a hex edit and make eyefinity work?

Wow...just wow...

You mean to tell me that, if I buy the game, I am out of luck with eyefinity, but if I pirate the game, I can do a hex edit and make eyefinity work?

Wow...just wow...

No. Buy the game but replace the installed exe with a cracked one. You can get cracked exe of games at gamecopyworld.com

No. Buy the game but replace the installed exe with a cracked one. You can get cracked exe of games at gamecopyworld.com

Of course one can replace the exe with the cracked one. My point is: Why would the developer allow this to be true? What kind support is that? If it is so easy for some guy off the street to hack an exe and make eyefinity work, than why didn't the developer include it in the first place? This is bad business and encourages pirating.

<Facepalm>

Of course one can replace the exe with the cracked one. My point is: Why would the developer allow this to be true? What kind support is that? If it is so easy for some guy off the street to hack an exe and make eyefinity work, than why didn't the developer include it in the first place? This is bad business and encourages pirating.

<Facepalm>

How does it encourage pirating? Only you encourage pirating, not them. I just told you you can easily buy the game and replace just the EXE with the cracked one instead of having to browse The Pirate Bay and download the game and risk getting caught and fined and throttle or what have you.

They just said Eyefinity is in the works and it's up to AMD to work with them. It's not entirely the developer's fault. In the meantime, there's this workaround someone found.

It's not an encouragement to pirate.

How does it encourage pirating? Only you encourage pirating, not them. I just told you you can easily buy the game and replace just the EXE with the cracked one instead of having to browse The Pirate Bay and download the game and risk getting caught and fined and throttle or what have you.

They just said Eyefinity is in the works and it's up to AMD to work with them. It's not entirely the developer's fault. In the meantime, there's this workaround someone found.

People often look for any excuse anyway, but I can see the guys point. If you have to infringe copyright by getting the crack, why not just get the whole thing.
The dev does not need any support to do this. They may want a paycheck out of it, but it certainly does not require AMD's help. Proper support for triple monitor resolutions, FOV at those resolution, as well as hud placement is something that the dev could do without AMD's assistance. The work around pretty much proves that. Besides, they made the jump from 4:3/5:4 to 16:9/16:10 without any help. It just took getting a lot of prodding from gamers and review sites.

None of that is an excuse for piracy though. If a game lacks support for the features I want, I simply don't buy it. Why would I want to pirate a game that does not give me what I want in the first place?

Think about it. If you are a game developer, do you WANT customers who desire multi-monitor support to infringe by searching the interwebs to find a crack for your game exe so they can make you game work on their systems? It seems that it would have been easy for the developer to include the support if the fix is any indication. Why not simply include the support out of the box rather than open up that can of worms? Just seems dumb and short-sighted to me.

Think about it. If you are a game developer, do you WANT customers who desire multi-monitor support to infringe by searching the interwebs to find a crack for your game exe so they can make you game work on their systems? It seems that it would have been easy for the developer to include the support if the fix is any indication. Why not simply include the support out of the box rather than open up that can of worms? Just seems dumb and short-sighted to me.

A can of worms would be to add Eyefinity without AMD's blessings.

A can of worms would be to add Eyefinity without AMD's blessings.

Aside from actually using the trademarked names, how pray tell would that be? Neither AMD nor Nv have patents on ultra widescreen resolutions.

Eyefinity/Nv Surround are quite literally, stand alone products that do little more than trick your OS and the software running on it, that they have one very high res monitor instead of multiple monitors, available for use. The dev need only allow for the greater resolutions, and fov, as well as making allowances for hud placement at those resolutions. I am still not sure how AND or Nv need to be involved, unless the dev is looking to score paycheck from AMD/Nv.

We do not even have to call it Eyefinity/Surround support. They can simply say it supports 5760x1200 or whatever other ultra wide screen res they want to on the game box.

Aside from actually using the trademarked names, how pray tell would that be? Neither AMD nor Nv have patents on ultra widescreen resolutions.

Eyefinity/Nv Surround are quite literally, stand alone products that do little more than trick your OS and the software running on it, that they have one very high res monitor instead of multiple monitors, available for use. The dev need only allow for the greater resolutions, and fov, as well as making allowances for hud placement at those resolutions. I am still not sure how AND or Nv need to be involved, unless the dev is looking to score paycheck from AMD/Nv.

We do not even have to call it Eyefinity/Surround support. They can simply say it supports 5760x1200 or whatever other ultra wide screen res they want to on the game box.

I don't know anything about patent and trademark details, just that in a QA session, the Driver dev already said they're in talk with AMD about Eyefinity and they'll patch it in the near future. I'm just assuming that it would be imprudent of the Driver dev to go ahead with Eyefinity in spite of whatever they're in talks about.

But regardless, davidmi's justifications for pirating this game is asinine. There is no justification at all.

Back