SSID Shenanigans = Cookies!

HardOCP News

[H] News
Okay, we've all seen the funny SSID names, but this story takes the cake (cookies). Supposedly some guy, after months of his neighbors "leeching" the free intarwebs, he changed his SSID to "bring cookies to apt. 204" and this is what happened. :D

so if he didnt like people leeching his service.... lock it down?

but think i may try that!

????

Should I link his house? If you send me a funny image / story...what would you like me to "link" of yours? :rolleyes:

So I should just send you a picture and a funny caption to get on the front page? Is this lolcats now?

Apparently other versions of the joke use "apartment 203".

It works like this, if you submit an image to me...I would give YOU credit. I would not link imgur or reddit for your image. If you submitted your image to more than one place, more pwer too you but there is no way for me to know and I wouldn't link the 30 other sites you submitted it at anyway ;)

I give credit to the people that submit the links / images and I keep names private or shortened when requested. If I find a link or image on the interwebs on my own, I would link the source.

Geez, I can't believe the wet blankets tossed on an otherwise cute story. :(

So I should just send you a picture and a funny caption to get on the front page? Is this lolcats now?

I was going to say "are you NEW?" but you aren't. YES, this is exactly what we've done for over a decade now. If you do not like the way things are done here I can easily just remove your access to the news forums, just say the word.

It works like this, if you submit an image to me...I would give YOU credit. I would not link imgur or reddit for your image. If you submitted your image to more than one place, more pwer too you but there is no way for me to know and I wouldn't link the 30 other sites you submitted it at anyway ;)

I give credit to the people that submit the links / images and I keep names private or shortened when requested. If I find a link or image on the interwebs on my own, I would link the source.

Geez, I can't believe the wet blankets tossed on an otherwise cute story. :(

I was going to say "are you NEW?" but you aren't. YES, this is exactly what we've done for over a decade now. If you do not like the way things are done here I can easily just remove your access to the news forums, just say the word.

Tough crowd.

LOL!
That's better than my neighbors :D

My brother used to leach a neighbors wireless connection for his iphone. At some point they noticed someone was leaching and changed the SSID to "Not on your life fuckers!"
My brother took that as a challenge and proceeded to try to figure out the password. Funny enough he managed to get in (they must have used the worst password ever!), and changed it to "Not one who's life??"
That lasted about a day. Now they have proper security :p

I use the name of one of my local police stations the amount of people its scares off is quite funny.

I don't get these people who complain about other leeching their Wireless. Do they just not know how to setup a WPA2?

/sigh, I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just noting that this article doesn't jive with what we generally decent editorial review news on this site gets. It's tuesday and I'm back at work after a long weekend and a little grumpy, I apologize.

Steve said:

This was really my question. The OP doesn't have a link to the source, nor does it have a hat tip to someone with credit. That's all I was ever actually asking for. It's a good story, and I wanted to read more if there was more to read. In this case, from the thread, it appears that you recieved it in an e-mail. I guess, the guy asked to remain private? Generally we see "from a forum member" or "from a news reader" or something when that happens.

I still use FBI Surveillance Van :D

haha i like that.

I'm in canada so can't use anything that says FBI. The looks on my friends faces tho when they come over and look for internet access "holy shit the cops don't connect to that one" Works everytime :D

When I was living in an apt many moons ago, my girlfriend at the time was home and couldn't get on the wireless internet. she went to best buy and bought a wrt54g and hooked it up apparently with no security. I got home and was messing around on the network and saw "Jeffs documents" of course I know Jeff is the punk upstairs. I open the folder and see a bunch of college papers. Ctrl+A then ctrl+x and paste them on my desktop. I then open notepad and enter "stay the fuck off my wireless" and leave that in his share.

Of course I promptly secure our wireless and had some lolz with friends over it.

I apologize.
No worries.

Generally we see "from a forum member" or "from a news reader" or something when that happens.

Ummm, no. "Generally" you only see the names posted when people give us permission to use their names or nicknames. There are dozens of news submissions every week where no credit is given because people, for a variety of reasons, do not want their names plastered on the internet.

We get them all the time, but since we don't post names without permission...you don't see them...giving you the impression that names / credit is always given for news submissions. ;)

Those are the most delicious laxative laced cookies I've ever seen!

/sigh, I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just noting that this article doesn't jive with what we generally decent editorial review news on this site gets. It's tuesday and I'm back at work after a long weekend and a little grumpy, I apologize.

This was really my question. The OP doesn't have a link to the source, nor does it have a hat tip to someone with credit. That's all I was ever actually asking for. It's a good story, and I wanted to read more if there was more to read. In this case, from the thread, it appears that you recieved it in an e-mail. I guess, the guy asked to remain private? Generally we see "from a forum member" or "from a news reader" or something when that happens.

Jeez dude, go outside for a change.

Those are the most delicious laxative laced cookies I've ever seen!

Yeah, at first I laughed and then thought "I wouldn't eat those cookies!"

Now he should name it "Cash, Grass or Ass, no one leeches for free" although I suggest he install a peephole in his door to make sure it's not a dude (unless of course he's into that.)

Heh, I know...right? Oh well, I have "insta-fixes" for that. ;)

Don't let the "Mr. Serious Tough Guy" people ruin this story. I for one found it pretty funny & entertaining. :)

I'm now torn between re-naming my network, "Bring beer to apt 123" or "Homeland Security Monitored Channel."

It was cute little story. I was also clicking the top header thinking it would link me to read more lol. I just didn't inquire about it and I think thats all the other guy was thinking he was gonna do is read more on it lol probably didn't get his coffee down yet.

It is a shame some of you can't just have a laugh any more.

Sounds like a great cookie making scheme. However my fear is that one day I'll open the door and find a police officer with a search warrant.

No cookies!

police-break-down-a-door.jpeg

haha i like that.

I'm in canada so can't use anything that says FBI. The looks on my friends faces tho when they come over and look for internet access "holy shit the cops don't connect to that one" Works everytime :D

RCMP Surveillance Horse?

Mines "Bring beer to apt 106"

I really do live in 106, but no one's brought any beer yet. Still hoping though.

If i see that on my wireless. I'll go out of my way to bring you what you requested. Within reason of course.

That's just awesome.

I thought it was funny myself. Guess you youngsters dont have a sense of humor...

And Kyle what is this "outside" you speak of?

Back