Apple Loses Another Unreleased iPhone

HardOCP News

[H] News
So a guy walks into a bar with an unreleased iPhone....stop me if you've heard this one before. :rolleyes:

In a bizarre repeat of a high-profile incident last year, an Apple employee once again appears to have lost an unreleased iPhone in a bar, CNET has learned. The errant iPhone, which went missing in San Francisco's Mission district in late July, sparked a scramble by Apple security to recover the device over the next few days, according to a source familiar with the investigation.

These guys must be a blast to party with. They get wasted enough to leave what probably amounts to their career laying on the table at a bar. I'd have to be pretty drunk to do that.

from the article:

"it was taken from a Mexican restaurant and bar and may have been sold on Craigslist for $200."

Hahaha

also:

"Apple electronically traced the phone to a two-floor, single-family home in San Francisco's Bernal Heights neighborhood, according to the source.
When San Francisco police and Apple's investigators visited the house, they spoke with a man in his twenties who acknowledged being at Cava 22 on the night the device went missing. But he denied knowing anything about the phone. The man gave police permission to search the house, and they found nothing, the source said. Before leaving the house, the Apple employees offered the man money for the phone no questions asked, the source said, adding that the man continued to deny he had knowledge of the phone."

Wise move. I'm sure if he had taken up the offer and taken the cash Apple would have later had him arrested.

I guess I don't get how people lose phones, wallets, IDs, etc. It is so ingrained in me to never set it down or leave it somewhere, that even getting black out drunk I've never lost a single personal item like that.

On the other hand, I personally know a girl who seems to lose her ID at least once a year at bars, not to mention phones.

If I found that I'd wrap it in foil and metal until the battery died or immediately try to find some way to power the device off.

Drop it in the Marinas Trench, tweet it's location, and see how many iDorks perish in their quest to retrieve it. ;)

Wow pretty fucked up they searched his house though. I'd be furious if they tried to pull that shit on me. Can they really trace it well enough to know one house from the next, especially in an area as dense as SF?

Thats pretty much what I thought. Is there any material that will physically block data transmissions though?

Thats pretty much what I thought. Is there any material that will physically block data transmissions though?

You sound awfully interested, do you happen to live in a two-floor, single-family home in San Francisco's Bernal Heights neighborhood? ;)

Wow pretty fucked up they searched his house though. I'd be furious if they tried to pull that shit on me. Can they really trace it well enough to know one house from the next, especially in an area as dense as SF?

the guy consented to search the house.......

So, I kinda am thinking this is apples way of "unveiling" products nowadays. I mean, everyone was excited when the iPhone4 was "accidently left" at a bar last year, and now the possible iPhone5 or iPhone4GS or something stupid like that, being "accidently left" at another bar!

Too funny. I guess these Apple follks sure love their booze. If they keep their stuff in their pocket like they should, it confuses me how people lose stuff like this so easily.

the guy consented to search the house.......

:eek: ......... If I did or didn't have it, there's no way I would have consented, know your rights. If you found it, (because some twit left it at the bar while he went to the bathroom) its not stolen ;)

If apple would sue, counter-sue them for the distress they caused :eek: its entitled America after all

In unrelated news, there is now a new opening at Apple for an iPhone engineer...

Too funny. I guess these Apple follks sure love their booze. If they keep their stuff in their pocket like they should, it confuses me how people lose stuff like this so easily.
People who own Apple devices always seem to feel the urge to show them off. They put it on the table, hold it in their hands, etc. with no reason. Or maybe their jeans are too skinny.

People who own Apple devices always seem to feel the urge to show them off. They put it on the table, hold it in their hands, etc. with no reason.

My buddy almost lost his iPhone last night at the bar. He constantly would take it out of his pocket and leave it on the bar infront of him. After an hour, he freaked out because he couldnt find it. It was on the ground at his feet.

:eek: ......... If I did or didn't have it, there's no way I would have consented, know your rights. If you found it, (because some twit left it at the bar while he went to the bathroom) its not stolen ;)

Dead wrong. Theft of lost or mislaid property, look it up, or read the article.

It's all moot though, I'm starting to think these "OMG I LOSTEDED THE KNEWEST IPHONEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is nothing more than a publicity stunt for the last two iphone generations.

It's dead easy on how to make a virtual lead box to prevent cell signals from coming and going. Just takes a bit of time and lots of screen mesh.

IMHO its Apple's own, stupid fault. If they are going to allow idiots out the front door with the latest, greatest, most secret hardware they have, they get what they get.

Yes, a cage made of very fine ferrous material screen mesh will block the signals.

I guess I don't get how people lose phones, wallets, IDs, etc. It is so ingrained in me to never set it down or leave it somewhere, that even getting black out drunk I've never lost a single personal item like that.

On the other hand, I personally know a girl who seems to lose her ID at least once a year at bars, not to mention phones.

I lost my phone in the car once. The only things I've left in a bar are money and pee. Maybe some puke when I was early 20's.

These stories are starting to sound a little far-fetched, unless these guys are really fucking stupid or high on cocaine.

"Electronically traced the phone to a house"

Great! So if I get my phone stolen, my carriers don't give a fuck about me, they just try to sell me another phone, but if apple loses a phone, they are more then happy to help them

Fuck me, fuck this world, I hate the telecom giants with all my being

Dead wrong. Theft of lost or mislaid property, look it up, or read the article.

It's all moot though, I'm starting to think these "OMG I LOSTEDED THE KNEWEST IPHONEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is nothing more than a publicity stunt for the last two iphone generations.

Yep.

Back