Single Touch Goes After Hulu on Patents

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Hulu is being accused of patent infringement. No lawsuits have been filed yet but I am sure that will change if Hulu doesn't cough up some cash.

It’s not immediately clear how Single Touch’s patents apply directly to Hulu’s business model, but they certainly predate much of the mobile media revolution, and on a quick glance appear to be couched in general terms that cover a variety of potential applications—but the same is true for most technology patents.

If a company applying for a patent cannot show that they have a working model then they should not be granted a patent at all. Key words being "predate" and "general terms" should be a red flag that they are bogus patents.

even if they have a working model there shouldnt be tech patents over a general idea and companies should be win lawsuits unless someone else copied specifics from their product... well atleast thats the way i think it ought to be.

I agree. I am just saying that I think they should have something working as they describe first. And anything that is so specific that it's the ONLY way to do it, then it should be hands off as far as patents go, also.

I have a hard time coping with the idea that I might sit at my PC and code something from scratch that someone already owns the rights to, simply because an idea was patented. Then if my program was popular and I started making a few bucks from it, some asshat with a patent would take me to court and force me to funnel my hardearned money to lawyers, and also the asshat if I lost in court.

The system is broken.

What a bunch of bS. So if a group of my friends wanted to start a similar service in our basement would we then have to pay off these goons? And for what, they havent done squat compared to what Netflix has done. Even though Netflix is taking a turn for the worse in my opinion.

Back