GameStop Pulling OnLive Coupons Deus Ex: Human Revolution

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you bought your copy of Deus: Human Revolution at GameStop, you are probably going to want to read this. Here's a copy of the memo.

We then contacted GameStop public relations representative Beth Sharum. In an email reply, Sharum said she needed to further research the issue before providing a detailed response. However, she did confirm GameStop intentionally removed the OnLive coupons: "Square Enix packed the competitor's coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull and discard these coupons," Sharum said.

Doesn't seem legal to me. I'd be kinda pissed even if I never used the service.

Zarathustra[H];1037671706 said:
What on earth is OnLive?

It's a cloud gaming service. I'm guessing gamestop took the coupons out because OnLive is a direct competitor.

Yeah, wouldn't that be considered theft of some sort?

I hope people become aware of this and start raising ruckus. Totally unacceptable behavior.

Is this a "it's selling so well we don't need to offer these coupons anymore" thing to screw the customer?

Yeah, wouldn't that be considered theft of some sort?

Nah, as long as they don't misrepresent what is in the box.

If they - when they sell it - indicate that there is a coupon inside, and then there isn't, that would be a different matter.

Gamestop - as talented as they are at screwing people out of their money - can't steal something from you, that you don't yet own :p

IMO once the box is opened it is no longer a new copy, it is now used.

The last time I went in there to buy a game a couple years agao they brought it to the counter and it was obvious that they had opened it. I told them that I wasn't paying new price for a game they had opened. So the manager came over and said that it had just been put in the demo machine. I was like... "Not only was it opened it was also played?" So that makes it used, either you give it to me for used price or I leave without it. They let me walk out the door, and I have never gone back in.

I smell a class action lawsuit brewing over this nonsense. This is the first time I've ever heard of a retailer opening up new inventory, removing an item then resealing said inventory and selling it as new.

I can see why they want to do that but it seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen... doesnt seem worth it... plus all the bad PR for it...

When I bought FF13 after I forgot to preorder @ amazon and Target sold out I went to a gamestop to buy the game. Went in asked for a PS3 copy. They tried to push a 360 copy on me when the case was loaded with PS3 copies. They finally give me a PS3 copy and I noticed the plastic wrap isn't on it and they took the game out of a drawer in a paper cover. I asked them for a Wrapped Copy they said no and I left drove 24 miles to the next target and got myself a copy of the game. Total group of scam artists.

Shame on the dumb Teens and Soccer Moms that fuel 95% of their income.

IMO once the box is opened it is no longer a new copy, it is now used.

The last time I went in there to buy a game a couple years agao they brought it to the counter and it was obvious that they had opened it. I told them that I wasn't paying new price for a game they had opened. So the manager came over and said that it had just been put in the demo machine. I was like... "Not only was it opened it was also played?" So that makes it used, either you give it to me for used price or I leave without it. They let me walk out the door, and I have never gone back in.

The price of their "used" games are almost the price of new ones, at least the last time I stepped foot in one of their B&Ms

As far as I know everything is opened at Gamestop, even new games. They have the case on display, then open it and put the disc in before they sell it to you.

I used to know a guy that worked there and they also let the employees rent the games. So yeah, you're pretty much buying a used game already for the new price every single time. Have to go elsewhere to get a genuine sealed copy. My friend has pretty much boycotted them. I shop there once a year maybe for a good used game price ($60 is ridiculous for the crappy quality of 90% of games).

It also seems like they've been hiring women just to lure more male customers, probably not the case at all but wouldn't surprise me.

Holy shit this is boycott material! Does it indicate anywhere on the box that OnLive is included? This sounds illegal!!!

Zarathustra[H];1037671793 said:

If they - when they sell it - indicate that there is a coupon inside, and then there isn't, that would be a different matter.

Gamestop - as talented as they are at screwing people out of their money - can't steal something from you, that you don't yet own :p

Following that logic if games still came with manuals they could remove them and sell them seperately for an extra $10 as long as they were removed before you bought them,

Rights this, rights that, I don't give a shit.

What bothers me is a retailer opening manufacturer sealed boxes, removing contents, and then selling them as new. If that's not illegal, then it should be.

This is like music retailers removing the guitar case from a new guitar box and selling it as an optional item. This happens all the time.

It really doesn't surprise me. The more I hear about GameStop, the more I wonder why anyone would ever shop there.

If the copy of a game is suppose to come with something, and it doesn't because somebody removed it before they sold it to you (while claiming it was new) how is that not misrepresenting it?

If you're an Ebay seller, and you say you're selling iPhones just how long do you think you could get away with taking the motherboard out of it without making it expressly clear that the product doesn't function the same as it would when bought from any other source? It doesn't matter if you never promised a motherboard to people - what matters is that one is expected to come with the item when sold as new, and you took it out without expressly notifying the buyer.

This wouldnt have anything to do with Gamestop trying to get in the cloud gaming business(rumored of course) :rolleyes:

They've been opening every game and putting it in the case when you ask for it for as long as I can remember.

Why do they do it?

Obviously any customer would prefer an unopened game and it will cause some pretty big problems. Employees will borrow games, items inside the box(activation codes,etc) will be lost, and about a thousand other problems.

Or put another way - if you buy a game, take a code out of it, repackage it, and return it for a full refund that is theft. 99.9% of people would call that theft right? That's what Gamestop did. They opened the game, took a code out, repackaged it, and sold it to you at full price without explicitly telling you they had done it.

Or put another way - if you buy a game, take a code out of it, repackage it, and return it for a full refund that is theft. 99.9% of people would call that theft right? That's what Gamestop did. They opened the game, took a code out, repackaged it, and sold it to you at full price without explicitly telling you they had done it.

In fact I assumed that was what was happening when I read this at a glance. Figured some employees were stealing the coupons, they'd be fired and we'd got an apology.

The reality is far more difficult to believe.

Well, I don't like this at all, but unfortunatelly it's has been normal here in the UK for years. I bought a new copy of Fallout New Vegas couple of moths ago at HMV, brought the display case to the till and they just popped a dvd in and there you go... Turned out that I didn't need that dvd at all as it was activated through Steam anyway so I just typed in that code from the box and downloaded it from Steam... That's why I don't shop on the high street anymore - I suppose - and only use Amazon, Steam and Ebay...

Well, I don't like this at all, but unfortunatelly it's has been normal here in the UK for years. I bought a new copy of Fallout New Vegas couple of moths ago at HMV, brought the display case to the till and they just popped a dvd in and there you go... Turned out that I didn't need that dvd at all as it was activated through Steam anyway so I just typed in that code from the box and downloaded it from Steam... That's why I don't shop on the high street anymore - I suppose - and only use Amazon, Steam and Ebay...

The last time I bought a retail game at a store, which was years back, I thought it was common practice not to have the CD's in the cases to counter shoplifting. Took the box to the counter, and they dropped the CD in and put a sticker on it.

Pretty sure that's how to they did it at Babbages and the like back in the day.

What bothers me is a retailer opening manufacturer sealed boxes, removing contents, and then selling them as new. If that's not illegal, then it should be.

Best buy is very infamous for doing this with laptops and other computers. They toss on their geekbloatware repackage and sell it to you as if you bought a new computer, not to mention if they have an discount, that only applies to unopened computer boxes because they consider what they did as a premium service.

true, Crotan, but the codes, manuals, and coupon slips are supposed to be in the case! :D

What does the OnLive coupon entitle you to?

my curiosity added as well about this. Even though i dont use the service, what kind of offer was it? I never get to see it? I agree with what was said above: imagine if we as the customer opened a box took out the gaming manual, and tried to reseal it and take it back for credit. Im pretty sure that wouldnt fly at all. If someone goes there to buy a copy, see what the used price is seeing as thats what it is now......its been opened. Refuse to pay full price and cite the memo :p

It's a cloud gaming service. I'm guessing gamestop took the coupons out because OnLive is a direct competitor.

The game requires a cloud service.. It's called Steam. Gamestop is going to get so sued.

You could always contact the game manufacturer as well and complain that something THEY packaged is missing from inside the box.

Back