Netflix's Battered Stock: What Next?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix's stock is down $100 (from $305 to $205) since the company announced the new price hikes last month. Although the company is trying to save face by saying it "anticipate the backlash," I don't think anyone knew the stock would be hit this hard. :eek:

Netflix tried to downplay the hostile reaction by customers to the increase, but many thousands if not millions of customers took to the Web to complain. Netflix isn't disclosing how many customers cancelled their subscriptions as a result but, it seems like a safe bet that more subscribers will the drop service in coming weeks, especially when they find the new charges on their statements. Netflix says it anticipated the backlash and also predicted that the incident would blow over by the fourth quarter.

I think the content industry needs to pay fines for piracy, seeing as how they're the ones who encourage it the most. They create thousands of pirates every day with the way they behave with content.

I canceled netflix a few months before the price increase. I'm glad I got rid of it. And ill probably never re sub. Glad I never bought stock

I dunno. I think Netflix offers a great service and I don't care that prices have jumped. I never order CD's for delivery and use the streaming service every other day. Considering I used to pay $3 per video rental without the convenience of streaming, it's still worth it.

Dropped their PISS POOR streaming option when the prices went up. Now I am back to paying what I did when I joined 2-3 years ago.

i dropped them cause the streaming sucked, then they did the price hike, they are morons that lost my money, and not going to get it back for the general asshattery they are doing now

I dunno. I think Netflix offers a great service and I don't care that prices have jumped. I never order CD's for delivery and use the streaming service every other day. Considering I used to pay $3 per video rental without the convenience of streaming, it's still worth it.

I'm sticking with Netflix too. Streaming + 1 DVD plan. An additional $6 a month isn't killing me. I still feel it's an excellent service.

But I'm leaning on pulling the plug on Digital Cable by the end of the year.

Netflix is not falling because of the price change, it is falling because it was way over valued. This is market correction.

Streaming is still great. Never had the DVD plan anyway because, well, the streaming is great. Besides... Holy crap, access to a gazillion DVDs and a solid streaming service for less than the cost of buying one or two DVDs a month? My god, what a RIPOFF, amirite?

:rolleyes:

Kinda short sighted. The entire market is down as a whole. Blaming this solely on price hikes is a bit absurd.

I canceled netflix a few months before the price increase. I'm glad I got rid of it. And ill probably never re sub. Glad I never bought stock

Glad you never boght stock? Thats just a dumb statement.

They opened at $15, and if memory serves they bottomed at below $8 in the early 00's.

Netflix is adding lots of content all the time to instant watch, plus you've got studios trying to squeeze more money out of them for the rights to stream the content, of course prices had to go up. Add another battle front with the ISPs trying to protect their cable subscriptions by adding data caps onto your internet service, their stock was going to take a hit.

I gladly kept streaming part of my subscription. I would have dropped the disc part, but my girlfriend opted to pay for that part.

Now, time to go back to streaming Star Trek.

It is still a good deal but the perceived fucking is greater than the actual fuck they have us. I sold my 102 shares a while back because a 60% price increase overnight is a shock to pretty much anyone. Imagine showing up to your local barber and seeing he increase his prices by 60% or going to get your oil changed or buying a new car. The shock of a 60% price increase regardless of how little it may be overall is a huge deal to most people. Incremental price increases would have been the way to go with this decision to increase their pricing.

I think the content industry needs to pay fines for piracy, seeing as how they're the ones who encourage it the most. They create thousands of pirates every day with the way they behave with content.

They force no one to steal content.

It's not over for them yet. I'm cancelling mine in about a week. Just in time for the price increase. Bye Netflix!

my price went down a buck. I've streamed almost everything I watched in the last year. Local TV + streaming Netflix is more TV than I care to watch.

Dropped disc, kept streaming. I don't know what all your complaints are about their streaming content? I've never had a problem.

I would not mind the price hike if I felt their content was improving. They seem to offer less quality movies than before(streaming) and yet are raising prices. Combine that with the recent increase in damaged blu rays, just makes them seem out of touch. They right way to of handled things would have been to either offer a premium streaming or sign a major new studio then raise prices to cover the cost.

Basically they wanted to raise prices on the single disc option as 2/3 discs now seem the better option. I will likely drop them for awhile then see if they improve their streaming options...

DVD streaming was never an issue. Their Blu-Ray streaming (spotty availability aside) rarely reaches full quality on most titles so it's a waste of money.

Dropped disc, kept streaming. I don't know what all your complaints are about their streaming content? I've never had a problem.

When you pay $2k for a flagship plasma their streaming quality doesn't cut it. It's all relative and subjective. Crap to me, perfectly fine for my girlfriend.

I got sick of getting damaged blu-rays and having to wait weeks for new releases to be back in stock...I usually just ended up renting them from the local Family Video anyway.

I think if you are OK with the highly compressed picture of their streaming service and usually just rent DVDs, it is still a good value.

For myself the bigger issue with Netflix is the unavailability of titles to watch. For instance when I had the disk delivery every newer title in my que was always on "long wait" often times I would wait 2-3 months after the release to get them by mail. The second issue is even after rating over 2000 titles 75% of the suggested shows were crap, nothing I would pick in a million years to watch. And I don't how many people actually paid attention to there bill, but my Netflix bill was raised four times since I started my account 18 months ago. So the one time 60% raise or 50% reduction in service depending on which path you chose was a much larger price hike over time. If peoples cable bills were raised at the same rate they would be up in arms over that. As for the streaming service that has not improved enough to warrant it's own charge, considering most of the content that is even remotely interesting on it are old TV shows. I can't even remember the last decent movie offered on it.

Netflix has lost its zeal for me.

Silly Netflix, don't you know that your prices have to remain the same for eternity?

Just as no one forces me to go to work.
I still need to eat.

Everyone needs to enjoy life, even if they can't afford it.

And ... ?

Being a bottom-feeder, then? :rolleyes:

Just like price tags on DVDs "encourage" piracy? Please. :rolleyes:

You missed the point.

You are forced to work, if you want to eat. For the most part, of course you can join the crackheads I see in the city everyday and still get "a meal", but I'll pass.

Everyone has a natural right to enjoy life, if you're priced out of the market, then theft is OK.

The issue with theft is that theft is only wrong when you or I do it, it's OK for the wealthy and governments of the world either monetary, environmentally, or through livlihoods/ social injustice. You can ignore the laws and moral standards, just as those sectors do.
No real problem with it, you have the choice of theft as the wealthy and world governments do, but their laws are backed up by force. As long as you accept that part of the equation, it's a legitimate choice to be made.

For myself the bigger issue with Netflix is the unavailability of titles to watch.

I got tired of the long waits in my queue and waiting months for Netflix to finally ship a new title.
Then they added an additional 30 days to the delay.
Finally they raised the price for less service.

I canceled for now.
Maybe when the quality of the streaming improves, and they strart streaming reciently released movies I might reconsider.

Back