Xbox 360 User Sues Microsoft for $500 Billion

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you thought you had a bad week, how would you feel about getting sued for $500 Billion? Microsoft has been sued by an Xbox user for not terminating his contract after the company was informed he had amended the terms of his contract with them. It’s a nuisance complaint, based with a smidge of reality, but maybe it will get Microsoft’s attention.

Microsoft didn't respond in which case Stebbins claims he is the automatic winner of that massive amount of money.

"Nutbar does crazy thing and seeks attention, news at 11"

There's just no there, there.

Read the article people. For the love of god it's 4 paragraphs.

This is great... the problem is... courts dismiss suits like this all the time... what they dont dismiss is ridiculous suits against people like you and me for amounts equal to this, just based upon the companies assets, compared with ours. Net profit last year was 19000 dollars after bills and so on, you get sued for 500000 by some entity, lets say the record industry or the MPAA... MS makes 23 billion last year.. lets multiple that by the same difference in profit from that family in lets say ohio.. and voila... 500 billion doesnt seem like its ridiculous anymore...

Lets be honest... ever since someone sued because they were burned by hot coffee, AND WON... this type of lawsuit will never die...although... considering the types of lawsuits ive seen filed just within the prison system here... i have to admit... there are some extremely idiotic people in this country who should have been aborted.... so its not surprising...

In this case... i hope the guy wins the right to change the terms of service he agreed too, much like corporations change their terms of service EVERY DAY... whether it job creation for tax cuts, cleaning up toxic waste, etc. etc.... If they can do it to the taxpayers terms of service.. we should be able to do it to theirs...but most of us cannot afford to buy a politician (READ: BRIBE THE SKUMBAG)... so its an uphill battle...

Read the article people. For the love of god it's 4 paragraphs.

Agree. People here and everywhere have been raped for so long by the EULA of companies they have come to except it as a standard. This guy is trying to expose what has been happening and trying to do something about it vs lying down and continue to being raped as some people here keep bending over and taking it and seems their liking it.

Ive read the article and the guy must be smoking copious ammounts of hash. He is suing other companies the same as this.

Thats the whole point... hes doing what thousands of companies corporations and even individuals with money and power do to the taxpayers and others every day in every american county city and state...

Whats the problem? lol

Lets be honest... ever since someone sued because they were burned by hot coffee, AND WON...

You were doin good up until this point, and then I realized you have no idea what you are talking about..

Go actually read the story..

Thats the whole point... hes doing what thousands of companies corporations and even individuals with money and power do to the taxpayers and others every day in every american county city and state...

Whats the problem? lol

That's just the kind of mentality we have nowadays. What's right for the person/corporation with money to do is 'normal business, and you don't think they're a charity do you' yet suddenly becomes very wrong, and greedy when somebody else does it. Heck, you'll see people out there making $40,000 and siding with the CEO making $20 million talking about how greedy that union guy over there is for wanting a pension that's 1/1,000th the size. Divide and conquer I suppose.

Would you prefer this or Anonymous' methods ? Eventually one of these off-the-wall methods will get the right person's attention (a senator, prime minister, congressman, president, chancellor, judge) and we might actually make some progress.

or we'll go the route of 1984

$500 billion?
Greed much? :rolleyes:

RTFA much?

It's a ridiculously huge number because he is trying to make a point. He doesn't seem to be expecting to actually WIN that amount of money, just expose the system for being broken. I say, bravo good sir, and best of luck to him.

Lets be honest... ever since someone sued because they were burned by hot coffee, AND WON... this type of lawsuit will never die
Ah yes, the lawsuit against McDonald's.

McDonald's requiring that the coffee be served at over 180-190F (well above temperatures that will cause third degree burns in 2 seconds) and that her medical expenses reached over $10,000 and McDonald's only offered $800 and refused anything else. Even after over 700 injuries from the coffee over the previous 10 years, McDonald's said it wasn't enough for them to change anything.

He should've sued for $500 trillion. Why just stop at billions? :rolleyes:

dr-evil.jpg

Lets be honest... ever since someone sued because they were burned by hot coffee, AND WON... this type of lawsuit will never die...

Wrong. Unfortunately many people dont understand or process the entire court case against McDs. Its become this amazing myth that people love to use as an example.

Yes the lady spilled coffee on her self and yes she sued McDs. At the end McDs was gound x% guilt and she was found the other portion for spilling it on herself. The untold story is that the coffee was much much hotter than needed and the unit was defective IIRC.

I think what hes doing is a good. But yeah 500 billion? If he would have done a million or something this would be something i would more interested in.

Something tells me ill be getting a shitload of emails soon about all the EULAs changing to just add in that the customer cannot change the eula:rolleyes:

Cool, all he has to do now is show where in the original document he's granted power to change it.:rolleyes:

If you read the article you would know he has a youtube video showing all the information.

Ah yes, the lawsuit against McDonald's.

McDonald's requiring that the coffee be served at over 180-190F (well above temperatures that will cause third degree burns in 2 seconds) and that her medical expenses reached over $10,000 and McDonald's only offered $800 and refused anything else. Even after over 700 injuries from the coffee over the previous 10 years, McDonald's said it wasn't enough for them to change anything.
I read that lawsuit too. That old woman spilled the coffee on her lap and it's ridiculous she almost got $2.7M out of it and still ridiculous that she got around $600k for it. If someone cuts his finger off w/ a knife, does he deserve to sue and win a lawsuit against the manufacturer of that knife? Same thing. It's sad when a dumbass wins a lawsuit.

Cool, all he has to do now is show where in the original document he's granted power to change it.:rolleyes:

And there is his major flaw. YOU accept the terms that Microsoft and the rest setup and agree that they can change the terms. THEY never agree to let you change the terms.

I can't sent a letter to the bank I got my car loan for and tell them that unless they give me a reply in 10 days stating that they don't want to upgrade my car that my loan balance instantly gets reduced to 0 and expect that to actually be valid, because i don't have any ability to change the terms.

Yes, reading the article helps. Bravo if he's not after the money but after how the terms of service system sucks. Southpark did a better job highlighting the issue though ..

And for all you non-readers .. "WHY WON'T IT READ?!?!".

I read that lawsuit too. That old woman spilled the coffee on her lap and it's ridiculous she almost got $2.7M out of it and still ridiculous that she got around $600k for it. If someone cuts his finger off w/ a knife, does he deserve to sue and win a lawsuit against the manufacturer of that knife? Same thing. It's sad when a dumbass wins a lawsuit.
Coffee should also not be served in a vehicular capacity at a temperature that is well above being capable of third-degree burns in under 2 seconds and can weaken the integrity of the cup and lid. She did not go for millions; her lawyer did when McDonald's said $800 and no more. Big surprise when they smell blood.

You say it's all dumbasses that get hurt and sue, but it is as much these bloodsucking trial lawyers that are to blame. They are the enablers.

RTFA much?

It's a ridiculously huge number because he is trying to make a point. He doesn't seem to be expecting to actually WIN that amount of money, just expose the system for being broken. I say, bravo good sir, and best of luck to him.

Actually, the article says he had 500 billion in damages. I'd love to see the itemized report that shows what the damages are for.

I get what he's doing, but a more realistic amount would probably be more effective. Asking for an insane amount of money because of "damages" is just going to get the case tossed out.

RTFA much?

I agree. He might be going about it the wrong way, but his motives seem sound. His actions are no more ridiculous then the companies who make you agree to a contract that says that company can change their mind at any time and take your money or change your service if you want their product.

It has really become a bullshit system and more people should fight this.

Coffee should also not be served in a vehicular capacity at a temperature that is well above being capable of third-degree burns in under 2 seconds and can weaken the integrity of the cup and lid. She did not go for millions; her lawyer did when McDonald's said $800 and no more. Big surprise when they smell blood.

You say it's all dumbasses that get hurt and sue, but it is as much these bloodsucking trial lawyers that are to blame. They are the enablers.
She could've waited 'til she had a safe environment where she could've placed the coffee instead of putting it between her legs in a car. No one forced her to hire a lawyer and sue. But USA is the land of the lawsuit, unfortunately. :(

I believe that he is sueing for so much money specifically so that he doesn't win, and one of the courts says: "you can't change the terms of the contract whenever you want to", and BAM now its case law and applies to everything and everyone. I doubt it will work, but good luck to him.

OK- I agree he's just an attention seeking nutjob, but I got a bit of a dressing down from a layer on the McD's coffe (father-in-law), and things I learned: The McD's had been cited repeatedly for serving coffee over allowable temperature, they ran out of coffee cups and just doubled up the soda (waxed paper) cups and handed it out the window. Not surprisingly the cup didn't make it to the cupholder, and she needed multiple skin-grafts across her ladybits. Anyone takes the skin off my Bawls and suing is the least that I am going to do. :)
Not saying it didn't turn into a circus, but coffee is not supposed to put you in the hospital. At least, not a single cup!

Lets be honest... ever since someone sued because they were burned by hot coffee, AND WON... this type of lawsuit will never die...although... considering the types of lawsuits ive seen filed just within the prison system here... i have to admit... there are some extremely idiotic people in this country who should have been aborted.... so its not surprising...

This is the ACTUAL photo of the woman that was burned by the 180 degree coffee from McDonalds.
http://travis.pflanz.me/assets/stella_liebeck_burned_by_mcdonalds_coffee-524x373.jpg

The truth is that big business want the people to consider these lawsuits frivolous in order to change the laws and make mandatory arbitration and caps on damages the norm.
Basically: big business/government(which is run by big business) is fucking us and most are none-the-wiser.

Last edited by a moderator:
RTFA much?

Exactly. READ THE ARTICLE PEOPLE!!!

Stebbins claims that on May 6 he sent a notice to Microsoft that he was "unilaterally amending the terms of service" of his Xbox Live contract. He also claimed that if Microsoft did not terminate his contract with him within 10 days, it would have to accept the new terms of service.

In effect, Stebbins is trying to do what companies like Microsoft do when they change the terms of a contract with consumers. Most people receive emails with the new terms and blindly accept them without even reading them.

Reading the full article, not the one that majordomo linked to. Actually sounds like he has less of a case, he didn't sent the email to their legal department or anyone like that but purposely sent it to just be recieved by somebody at the very bottom of the ladder. that would make it more like your credit card company sending a letter to your 10 year old telling them that if you don't reply to the new terms then you agree with them. your 10 year old is not part of the deal, just like the lowest level fo the food chain at microsoft have nothing to do with the legal terms of the xbox live service.

Back