Tokyo Scientists Develop Glucose Monitor Implant

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
To the diabetics of the world: the days of pricking your fingers for blood testing may be drawing to a close. The implant testing shows great promise and improvement over earlier studies, but it is still in the early stages of development.

While further calibration and testing of the sensor is needed, the researchers anticipate that this approach may facilitate development of long-term, fluorescent, implanted continuous glucose sensors.

I am only guessing this is aimed for type 2, and not type 1. And in which case, haaa! I hope it doesn't feature an audible alarm.

I am only guessing this is aimed for type 2, and not type 1. And in which case, haaa! I hope it doesn't feature an audible alarm.

I think you have it backwards. My wife and I check our daughter who has type 1 at least 10 times a day and it's not uncommon for one of us to check her glucose level at 3 am.

Yes. Type 1's are injectible insulin controlled and type 2 are diet controlled. One of the people I live with is type 2 and doesn't test blood sugar, and im type 1 and do.

But anyway, another step towards being more cyborg :D

Oh. One thing that I hope they have sorted out is the delay that these systems have had in the past between the blood sugar being tested and the results being displayed (for whatever reason, seems pretty simple not to have it like that...) but meant that doctors didn't consider them very useful.

There are also temporary devices to monitor blood sugar over a 24hour/longer period to show highs and lows as a graph. But these don't have a spot check function and have to go off to a lab.

Back