Five Essential Changes to Protect IP Act

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, the US House of Representatives is working on a new version of the Protect IP Act that will correct some of the major flaws in the current version.

As drafted, Protect IP has little chance of reducing the current level of online copyright and trademark abuse, or of shutting down "rogue" Web sites that profit from illegal trade in films, music, and knock-off products. That's largely because the bill focuses on operators outside the U.S. But U.S. law enforcement agencies have no authority to shut down foreign Web sites, which may not even be violating laws in their own countries.

A bad idea is still a bad idea, no matter how you word it on paper. But hey, this is a top priority for the nation instead of dealing with the country's colossal debt, healthcare, the crumbling public education system, etc., amirite?

It's sad that the suggested improvements only listed sanctioning the country, that is a far clearer no-no than Protect IP.

Protect IP is not the best solution, but it is far better than anything else that has been proposed. It allows the US to effectively work against privacy while not impacting international relations.

Isn't this also the one that required ISPs hold records of ALL users for 18 months? Or was that another gross destruction of liberties by a select few?

But U.S. law enforcement agencies have no authority to shut down foreign Web sites, which may not even be violating laws in their own countries.

Since when has that stopped them?

Since when has that stopped them?
A power which has dotted over the surface of the whole globe with her possessions and military posts, whose morning drumbeat, following the sun and keeping company with the hours, circles the earth with one continuous and unbroken strain of the martial airs of England^H^H^H^H^H^H^H America.

I'm slightly concerned that my country is acting like a angry child, lashing out against everyone around it, and no one has the common sense to beat some sense into it.

FFS rest of the world, you're going to let the United States prosecute people for breaking laws that you do not have? Grow some balls.

I'm slightly concerned that my country is acting like a angry child, lashing out against everyone around it, and no one has the common sense to beat some sense into it.

FFS rest of the world, you're going to let the United States prosecute people for breaking laws that you do not have? Grow some balls.

Prosecute? They want to change a listing in the world wide phone book (so to speak) to point to a government sponsored "F you" . They aren't even blocking the original. I'm not saying it's right... or isn't easily circumventable... but it's hardly prosecution...

Why doesn't the goverment just make a giant firewall like in dictator states like australia/china? :p

A group of over a hundred legal academics, at the same time, has written an open letter to Congress, insisting that Protect IP would likely violate First Amendment protections against "prior restraints" on speech. By blocking U.S. users from reaching Web sites in other countries, the academics also argue, Protect IP undermines U.S. efforts to stop other countries from blocking access for their own citizens to Web sites deemed offensive for political reasons.

Yea this is a VERY bad road the try to treed. At this rate we might as well start taking notes from China on how to run our internet.

YES, I believe it in the best interest to do something to prevent some sites that scam people and the likes. But walking that path could get out of hand very

^^ You put that bill together with Protect IP Act and you've got some chilling prospects for the USA turning into an Oceania-like police state REAL fast.

And they both are so horribly mislabeled. But then again, how else can you pass law if you don't mislabel it like they do?

You can't fool the public otherwise. It's funny that you don't hear anything about these draconian bills on tv at all. Hrmmm... I wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

/sarcasm

Prosecute? They want to change a listing in the world wide phone book (so to speak) to point to a government sponsored "F you" . They aren't even blocking the original. I'm not saying it's right... or isn't easily circumventable... but it's hardly prosecution...

Ok, maybe I was a little over the top with "prosecution". What they're really doing is just illegally seizing property (domains) from people, without any chance to get it back.

You do not fuck with how DNS, thats just wrong in SO many ways and would cause SO many issues. Thats besides the fact that its easy to circumvent.

Its one thing to seize domains(which is bad enough), its worse to "trick" DNS servers into proving erroneous information. Might as well set up a Great FireWall of USA, it would be less damaging to the internet then whats proposed here.

^^ You put that bill together with Protect IP Act and you've got some chilling prospects for the USA turning into an Oceania-like police state REAL fast.

It already is. Saw on RT news last night that the USA has two semi-secret "Communications Management Centers" in the USA. These are places where they send environmental and animal rights activists and label them domestic terrorists. They are called "Communications Management Centers" because they stop the inmates from communicating with the outside world to shut them up.

Back