Facebook Valued At $65 Billion?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook is now valued at *shakes magic eight ball* $65.5 billion!

Advertising company Interpublic Group (IPG) today announced that it has reached an agreement to sell approximately half of its holdings in Facebook for net cash proceeds of $133 million in a privately negotiated transaction. IPG did not reveal the buyer, the number of shares it would sell, or the price paid per share, but said it will record a pre-tax gain of $132 million upon closing of the sale.

Wasn't there a report not long ago that advertizing on facebook was almost completely pointless? I suppose that makes it work $60b but where does the extra $5b come from!? :confused: Are they going to add another 500m dead accounts to farm ingame items?

At what point does the SEC jump in here and say enough is enough with all this private trading? I'm no securities expert, but it sure as hell seems like there is a lot of investors involved and a lot of trading for a non-public company.

This number can't be right... no one, and I mean no one gives a fuck about the ads on Facebook. What stupid people pay to advertise on Facebook????

This number can't be right... no one, and I mean no one gives a fuck about the ads on Facebook. What stupid people pay to advertise on Facebook????

Its not the ads - its the data behind them. Everytime someone pushes "like" - its tracked, and fed to anyone willing to pay for the information.

And its not just a name that "liked" the product, its the complete profile, including everything else that person has "liked" - and what their "friends" have liked, etc.

The shear volume to data mining on Facebooks backend is mind numbing. And advertising think-tank's dreams come true.

Its the same crap that happens when you use a department store "rewards" card. Everything you buy is tracked and sold, so they can figure out better ways to target specific groups.

The public facing advertising space on Facebook is not the value in question here.

I suppose I should value the booger I picked this morning at, no less than $65.6B. I still don't get faceb***, myspace, twitter or the like. Don't guess I care to.

My email address is worth $129 Trillion, there's no others just like it, it's unique!

Ok now who would like to buy the first pieces stock options I have for sale?

At what point does the SEC jump in here and say enough is enough with all this private trading? I'm no securities expert, but it sure as hell seems like there is a lot of investors involved and a lot of trading for a non-public company.
The SEC can't jump in, its a private company. If the first Internet bubble and companies like MySpace & Digg have taught us anything its that we still have no idea how to capitalize on Internet traffic. A billion people visiting your site doesn't mean jack shit if you aren't selling something directly to them. I can count on one hand the number of companies that have truly figured out e-commerce and that will succeed in it for the long run. The other companies are just a ticking time bomb where if you don't sell in time you go from the next Mark Cuban to the next Kevin Rose.

The SEC can't jump in, its a private company. If the first Internet bubble and companies like MySpace & Digg have taught us anything its that we still have no idea how to capitalize on Internet traffic. A billion people visiting your site doesn't mean jack shit if you aren't selling something directly to them. I can count on one hand the number of companies that have truly figured out e-commerce and that will succeed in it for the long run. The other companies are just a ticking time bomb where if you don't sell in time you go from the next Mark Cuban to the next Kevin Rose.

Wrong - as soon as company has over 500 investors they have X ammount of time (IIRC 1 year) to make their finances available to public.

AFAIK Facebook already reached that situation earlier this year and will have to make their financial result available for public startin in Q1 or Q2 2012.

Wrong - as soon as company has over 500 investors they have X ammount of time (IIRC 1 year) to make their finances available to public.

AFAIK Facebook already reached that situation earlier this year and will have to make their financial result available for public startin in Q1 or Q2 2012.

Nobody knows how many investors it has and Zuckerberg wants to keep the company private. Facebook employees who received stock received an exemption from the 500 shareholder count and if the investors coming on board buy into an investment vehicle that holds shares instead of directly they can easily stay below the 500 investor mark for years. And as of right now they are a private company so the SEC can't step in. If and when they become public then financial information that 99% of the world can't understand will be made available and headlines will still scream about how the company is worth infinity billion dollars while also losing billions each year.

These valuations of private companies are pointless. The only way for a stock holder to capitalize right now is to get bought out by the other investors, and that is not going to happen.

They have to have an IPO first, then the current shareholders have to wait 90 days (or whatever is in the IP agreement) before they can begin trading their stock. Only then will we know how "valuable" the stock really is in the market.

Id dump this stock in a heartbeat if i had any. They are most likely going to be scrutinized by feds very shortly for data collection, and their whole privacy policy and the riots in london are only going to drive more people away when they realize how much information is known about each account. Give it a few months once the trials and so on are over in London over the riots and you will start getting legal documents released on just how accurate their information is they supplied to government entities.

Facebook should lose about 90% of its value in the next 2 years as investors dump that shit when the lawsuits begin.

Facebook should lose about 90% of its value in the next 2 years as investors dump that shit when the lawsuits begin.

FB will lose that cause that's the nature of social sites, lol. Once G+, or any other site, gets it's ass in gear the masses will move out of FB city and into new dwellings for the next few years. Then rinse and repeat.

Now that G+ is adding games I'll bet more people will start using their accounts and spread the word about said games. I think that's what most FB people are waiting for with G+, well that and their friends to move over too.

I bet Zynga are ready to jump on the G+ wagon, watch the FB empire collapse when they do.

Well time will tell.. everything niche like this fails when something new comes about... in that yer right... but im still waiting for the probe to matierialize against facebook...twitter wont be to far behind after that... since it wont matter much anymore when its shut down every other day for fear of civil unrest throughout the world... personally id love to see like Egypt sue twitter and facebook over the deaths they may have caused during the, probably foreign state sanctioned, uprisings over there...whether it helped or hindered, it should still be held accountable for not policing its own service...i wonder if Mubarek could sue them for court fees associated with his trial since they are partly responsible for his current position...lol

I bet Zynga are ready to jump on the G+ wagon, watch the FB empire collapse when they do.

Why can't Zynga just use both services, makes more sense that way.
BTW, they already have a Zynga game or 3 on G+ already and yet they are still on FB too ;).

Back