Thermaltake Toughpower 1350W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermaltake Toughpower 1350W Power Supply Review - Thermaltake is back on our test benches and back with some very big iron. Thermaltake made some of the "biggest and baddest" computer power supplies years ago and we are about to find out if the company does once again. However this Toughpower is well above a kilowatt and surely will have a limited appeal, but also surely attract a lot of attention.

thanks menace for the link, Jonny slam dunked them.lol

Summary
In this unit, Thermaltake actually has a better product than the Toughpower Grand 1200W unit. Voltage regulation is well above average, efficiency had no problem holding to the 80 Plus certification level, and it handled temperatures that would send the devil to the AC store. But all this doesn't quite make up for some questionable decisions. First, you have two PCI-E connectors that need to be jacked into the 5.25" peripheral cables. But second, you have CWT doing what CWT always does - using short, small heatsink screws that end up being loose because they don't take solder well. Though these two issues should not necessarily prevent you from buying one, they are enough combined to take this unit out of the running for the recommended logo. This unit is good, it's just not up there with the best on the market. Then again, how many good 1350W units do you know of that are UL approved for North America?
The Good:

• very powerful
  • handled above spec ambient temperatures while remaining in spec
  • passed its 80 Plus efficiency level without issues
  • piles of modular cables
The Bad:

• this is pushing the limits of that C13/C14 connector pair
  • power cable is only 16 gauge - I wanted 14
The Mediocre:

• one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen, twenty loose-ish heatsink screws

Bought a toughpower once, fried itself and my mobo. Support told me to go * myself after sending me on a wild goose chase. All this happened well within the warranty period, with receipt.

Worst decision I've ever made with computer parts. Guys, I hope none of you have my experience, but be warned, at least one thermaltake toughpower psu turned out to be a ticking timebomb. Yours might be next.

Had two 1200W Toughpower units on the test bench in my office since 2007. These have take a LOT of abuse. Still perfect.

I'd just stick to the manufacturer's specifications: The PSU is not 7 7/8 in. long, but 200 mm.
Or at least mention both units, it's really helpful to compare with a computer case specs, usually also rated in the metric system.

I'd just stick to the manufacturer's specifications: The PSU is not 7 7/8 in. long, but 200 mm.
Or at least mention both units, it's really helpful to compare with a computer case specs, usually also rated in the metric system.

7 7/8 inches is equal to 200.025 mm. Given I live and write from a country that uses the customary system, I am going to go ahead and say it is 7 7/8 inches. If you have any difficulty with this in the future I might suggest plugging the conversion that is confusing you into google as they will convert it for you.

Same power supply some what different conclusion.http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=249 :confused:

Regards: Menace

thanks menace for the link, Jonny slam dunked them.lol

[/LIST]

Looks like the actual performance is comparable. Oklahoma_wolf (not Jonny) ripped their recommendation over screws he believes are loose. I have never seen a single heatsink screw cause an issue so I would not worry about it or not buy a unit because of it.

Back