Anonymous Attacks San Francisco BART

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
You knew in your heart it was just a matter of time before Anonymous was going to get involved in the BART confrontation. Anonymous has begun a 48-hour attack known as #OpBart, on the BART subway system, including personal information of anyone listed in the database.

"#OpBART is an operation geared toward balance - toward learning. You do not censor people because they wish to speak out against the wrongs the wrongful things occurring around them," reads the group's press release.

So, they're upset about how BART treats it's customers, and the best thing they can think to do is release personal data on those customers...not a single one of them stopped to think 'Wait...doesn't this screw over those same people but even worse than BART did?'

So, they're upset about how BART treats it's customers, and the best thing they can think to do is release personal data on those customers...not a single one of them stopped to think 'Wait...doesn't this screw over those same people but even worse than BART did?'

Logic - requires principles of valid inference. Anonymous = smh!

Shallow reason to give themselves consent to do what they want?

Shallow reason to give themselves consent to do what they want?

DING DING DING! We have a WINNAH!!!

Basically they try to justify there ass-hatery by making up some moral high-ground thats not based in logic. Im sure they have bots trying to find weak servers with poor protection, and once found, they find an excuse to exploit there lax security. If these people had any skillz what-so-ever or morals, they would try and attack high value targets that they truly have a problem with, and not random BS targets like a light rail system in San Fran.

Dear people in charge please do something about the script kiddy's I'm tired of therm making fud.

Dear people in charge please do something about the script kiddy's I'm tired of therm making fud.

I'm all for the local hack and crack community for policing themselves. They'd do a much better job of keeping these ass-hats in line than any law enforcement agencies.

to be fair although I can't agree with what anon is doing it's hardly on the scale of what the BART police have done seeing as they have brutally murdered innocent people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Police_shooting_of_Oscar_Grant

Ok why is the government allowing them to continue on? You hear of one time hackers and pirates going to jail for ridiculously long, why are these guys allowed to just keep going when they are doing much more serious damage then other people who have been jailed over hacking before?

Protesting because someone was shot in the back while handcuffed - understandable.
Protesting because someone was shot because they were waving a knife around threatening people - not so understandable.

There are plenty of people in SF who will contest the BART officials turning off the internet, there really is no need for some group of hackers to act as judge and jury.

I live in SF and occasionally take the BART.

Just like the wankers in london, any excuse to do anything they want too. Pillage, rape and burn because of any percieved insult or sleight. Welcome to the new world.

Protesting because someone was shot in the back while handcuffed - understandable.
Protesting because someone was shot because they were waving a knife around threatening people - not so understandable.

There are plenty of people in SF who will contest the BART officials turning off the internet, there really is no need for some group of hackers to act as judge and jury.

I live in SF and occasionally take the BART.

I agree and just to be clear I don't support what the hackers are doing I was just responding to uladayans staement that what anon is doing is worse than what the bart has done which is not in fact correct.

That being said someone needs to tell all these hactivist groups that two wrongs do not make a right. If your going to target people go after the ones who have done somthing wrong or who actually have some power and controll over the issues your are concerned about not after innocent bystanders.

when you attack people who are actually your enemy thats war when you attack innocent people just to try to get you enemy to fold that terrorism and no one has any sympathy for terrorists.

I agree and just to be clear I don't support what the hackers are doing I was just responding to uladayans staement that what anon is doing is worse than what the bart has done which is not in fact correct.

I simply pointed out it's illogical for them to claim to be acting based on what BART has done to customers, and then release private information of BART customers. It's like somebody claiming to be a seal activist, and then clubbing a baby seal to prove their point that people shouldn't be mean to seals. It just doesn't make sense to further harm the very thing you're upset was harmed in the first place.

Ok why is the government allowing them to continue on? You hear of one time hackers and pirates going to jail for ridiculously long, why are these guys allowed to just keep going when they are doing much more serious damage then other people who have been jailed over hacking before?

Because despite the hate around here and the casually flung insults, it is obvious to anyone who actually reads more than the headline that Anon has more talent then most realize. Not to say there aren't plenty of low level grunt script kiddies, but that hardly encompasses all of them. Otherwise they would have been stopped and in jail a long time ago.

I simply pointed out it's illogical for them to claim to be acting based on what BART has done to customers, and then release private information of BART customers. It's like somebody claiming to be a seal activist, and then clubbing a baby seal to prove their point that people shouldn't be mean to seals. It just doesn't make sense to further harm the very thing you're upset was harmed in the first place.

sorry man I guess I just misinterpreted what you were trying to say. seems like pretty much everyone on these forums is on the same page when it comes to anon.

it's a shame a group of people with so much technical prowess is wasting it on attacks on innocent people that only serve to destroy the public image of the very causes they seek to advance.

Because despite the hate around here and the casually flung insults, it is obvious to anyone who actually reads more than the headline that Anon has more talent then most realize. Not to say there aren't plenty of low level grunt script kiddies, but that hardly encompasses all of them. Otherwise they would have been stopped and in jail a long time ago.

exactly, their numbers are so massive and diverse honestly there's only one thing that the governments of the world could do to stop their activity, and that's kill the internet backbones, literally shut it down, at least the public part, but then they risk the government side getting infiltrated

problem with that is there's far too much of our economy now that depends on the internet, the LAST thing you want to see right now in the wake of everything else going on is to see the internet go down permanently. It would be the straw that broke the camels' back so to speak. Whatever kind of economy you think we have today would be gone, joblessness would skyrocket, it would lead to anarchy in the streets more than likely.

anyone who thinks anon isnt aware of this is naive

Lets not arrest them, lets go hunting. I'll grab my AK and Shotgun. If they mess with the actual BART computer controls to threaten US Citizens...well, I'm a good shot.

But if the media is capable of tracking them, you'd think the FBI would be way ahead of that game.

But if the media is capable of tracking them, you'd think the FBI would be way ahead of that game.

The media isn't capable of tracking them, they are just publishing information that anon makes publicly available.

Again, I don't disagree but thus far the only people the FBI has nabbed are a few low level scrubs of which there are an unknown number. They have yet to actually nail any of the leadership and given the time that has passed, that is pretty telling. I know it is the "in thing" around here to slam on them, but facts paint a slightly different picture.

to be fair although I can't agree with what anon is doing it's hardly on the scale of what the BART police have done seeing as they have brutally murdered innocent people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BART_Police_shooting_of_Oscar_Grant

Yeah one guy two years ago.

To be fair the innocent guy had a rap sheet longer than an itemized phone bill, and he was up to something with several other guys when the BART police caught him. Did he deserve to get shot, no, that was the cops fault as he was already restrained, and it's already a done and dealt with matter.

Whine all you want about Anonymous, but there is something valuable about the anarchic response to violations from the government compared to the indifference and complete inaction of internet loudmouths.

Bart for the most part is fine. It isn't until you hit the Dublin/Pleasonton line going through Oakland and the Daly City line does it get sorta shitty with the batshit crazy homeless. They need to keep those cars clean though.

To be fair the innocent guy had a rap sheet longer than an itemized phone bill, and he was up to something with several other guys when the BART police caught him. Did he deserve to get shot, no, that was the cops fault as he was already restrained, and it's already a done and dealt with matter.

If his rap sheet did not mean he deserved to be murdered, then why did you bring it up? There is nothing "to be fair" about that kind of stunt. Nothing but a disingenuous tactic to say "move along, nothing to see here".

And no, they also recently murdered a homeless man from a 50 feet away who had disarmed himself, which is what the protest was about. Unnecessary escalation of force, aka poor judgement and a questionable cop. If a cop can't do his duty to his fellow citizens without resorting to his firearm at every opportunity, then he can resign because he is a danger to society and causes tensions in the community, as can be seen here. This is a danger to everyone, both cops and non-cops alike.

These are just the two highest profile incidents of the utterly incompetent BART.

The hearing will focus on changes that BART was supposed to make after BART police officer Johannes Mehserle shot and killed Oscar Grant in 2009, including reforms recommended by an independent auditor in 2010.

The Bay Citizen reported this week that BART police had not fulfilled most of the 127 changes the department agreed to, including arming all BART officers with Tasers and providing them with special crisis intervention training.

According to homeless people and social workers, Hill likely suffered from mental health issues.

“With three deaths in three years, we need to ensure that BART police are properly trained and following procedures,” Ammiano said in a press release.

HERP DERP failure to further train shitty officers for this very type of thing, like they were supposed to. Typical business as usual.

I think part of the problem is we expect police officers to be able to instantly psychoanalyze people they're confronting.

I don't know what the answer is, but our mental health system sucks. Just letting people roam the streets homeless and potentially causing confrontations like this puts EVERYONE in a horrible situation: the citizens and police who have to deal with the harrasment/potential danger, and the mentally ill themselves.

About to jump on...luckily I get off before Civic Center though, which is usually where all the BS goes down.

Keep us posted. I'd love to see a massive silent non-violent sea of Guy Fawkes masks just standing there staring eerily.

Whine all you want about Anonymous, but there is something valuable about the anarchic response to violations from the government compared to the indifference and complete inaction of internet loudmouths.

QFT.

No one around here is taking anything into their own hands, so I don't see a reason to complain.

QFT.

No one around here is taking anything into their own hands, so I don't see a reason to complain.

Take WHAT into their own hands? Our outrage over some crazy person waving around a weapon being shot? Not having cell service on the train, which has only been around a few years to begin with? Exactly what should we be taking into our hands by hacking random websites and posting random citizens info online?

And I didn't see a damn thing on the BART; if anything there was barely anyone on it, kinda odd actually. Perhaps people staying away due to all the coverage.

So we're just supposed to be randomly "doing something"....about nothing, really? :rolleyes:

Damn the man...I dunno why, but I just feel like protesting...something.

That was me calling out your tactic of nonsensical absurd argumentation.

What have you ever done to better the country? What have you ever done besides sit on the internet and deride people for giving a shit about police brutality and the absence of compassion in law enforcement, a position in society that is reserved for those who are supposed to, and required to, protect and serve the public, including the suspects they are interacting with?

The answer is nothing. You serve no purpose other than to belittle others who give a shit, because you can't be bothered to give a shit unless its some selfish pet issue that directly affects you personally.

Take WHAT into their own hands? Our outrage over some crazy person waving around a weapon being shot? Not having cell service on the train, which has only been around a few years to begin with? Exactly what should we be taking into our hands by hacking random websites and posting random citizens info online?

And I didn't see a damn thing on the BART; if anything there was barely anyone on it, kinda odd actually. Perhaps people staying away due to all the coverage.

I was going to respond to this but NahBrah already provided an adequate response.

Don't think I need to elaborate.

Just also wanted to add that as far as the matter being "deal qith" it never was if read the whole wiki you will see that the cop that executed oscar grant only recieved 2 months in jail justice was not served for Oscar Grant or his family and probably never will be.

If anyone here had executed a man in cold blood they would sit in jail for life regardless of what kind of criminal record the person they killed may have had, but because the murderer was a police officer the California legal system chose to look the other way and give a murderer a slap on the wrist.

Back