T-Mobile Drops Throttling for Overage Fees

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
T-Mobile has confirmed that overages on the 200MB plan will no longer result in bandwidth throttling ….unfortunately it will be replaced with overage fees. That was the bad news. The really bad news is it begins tonight at midnight. I think it’s the grand plan to make the AT&T acquisition deal look more desirable. :D

Those exceeding their monthly allotment will face a $0.10 overage per megabyte, until their penalties reach $30 -- the capped surcharge.

Well, at least they're capping it at $30 :(. Better than a $20,000 bill. Seriously though, the people that are elected to serve us need a swift kick in the ass, 10c per meg, probably cost them 10c per gig, if that. The Bells were broken up for much the same reasons that make it high time to do it again. This time there's cable, internet, and cell phones, not just POTs we're dealing with anymore............

wait, wtf. Will this occur at next billing cycle or when we renew our contract. I just renewed with tmobile with "unlimited date" that just gets throttled as one of the reasons because I don't wanna risk overages. If out of nowhere, we have problems.

Seems like this would result in a contract change...maybe people can opt out?

Anyway, not going to be going T-Mo any time soon...

Tmobile and At&t have been using Tmobiles rapidly declining user base as a reason to go forward with the merger. This very well might be to drive some more users away

The story says it is for new plans. So if you already have one you should be fine.

Can we get a confirmation on this ?

Otherwise, F*** you F***ing sons of motherless *****es T-mobile sacks of S*** go eat a ****.

It does say in the picture that you will be grandfathered into the current plan if you have an existing plan. Still, not very much notice for people on the fence about switching to T-Mo.

Well, at least they're capping it at $30 :(. Better than a $20,000 bill. Seriously though, the people that are elected to serve us need a swift kick in the ass, 10c per meg, probably cost them 10c per gig, if that. The Bells were broken up for much the same reasons that make it high time to do it again. This time there's cable, internet, and cell phones, not just POTs we're dealing with anymore............

Best described by Colbert, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsCp-1hgfxI

This is why I have a phone. nothing more. I have used 0.0kb since 2001 with the same plan.

So doesn't this technically make unlimited data $40 with this plan with no throttling? $10 + $30 max overage fee?

Since T-Mobile is going to be AT&T, it makes a lot of sense to make customers feel like crap.

Not having a smart phone FTW. But I really hate all of the stupid cell phone companies. F*** them and their contracts and plans.

we're all traveling back in time...... to a time of less service, less shit, for more money.

At last it's only for the 200MB plan. If this effected the 2gb one that would be enough for me not to use them. 200MB is too small for anyone actually using data anyway.

So doesn't this technically make unlimited data $40 with this plan with no throttling? $10 + $30 max overage fee?

I believe it says that after 5 GB you will get throttled.

Still, not actually terrible deal I guess if that's the case. Though before I assume it was 200 MB, and then beyond that you were throttled, but it was only $10/mo as opposed to $40.

Yes, it may sound like a good deal but...I would avoid T-Mobile anyway, especially since Simple Mobile uses t-mobile infrastructure at a flat $60.00/mo, 4G, taxes included and no limits on anything and no contract. I actually tried out simple and it was great, except when I went to work where t-mobile has damn near zero RF signal.

Grandfathered unlimited data T-mobile here laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm with you, and I have no contract. Also the 4G speeds rock for only 59.99 a month, unlimited Data, Text, and 500 minutes :)

Also The normal base data plan is 2-5GB with a smart phone so you would have to purposefully select the 200MB then use more than you asked for. Why not just get the 2GB plan instead? It is only 10$ more.

I think this whole throttling overage thing is a crock. I pay for the most expensive plan Tmobile offers, in fact they wont even offer me more if I pay for it. Yet still I managed to cap out my bandwidth half way through my plan, mostly from streaming music from Google Music Beta. I didn't realize it used so much bandwidth, but not I am stuck with 14 days left in my billing cycle at 2g speeds which has all but made my G2x completely useless. I understand capping cheaper plans but for f**ks sake allow TRULY unlimited and unthrottled plans for those that are willing to pay for it! I had one of the unlimited plans before, and should have been grandfathered in, but apparently buying a new phone outright without extending my contract at all, somehow "renewed" my contract status and put me on their new data plan. Either that or they have just breached contract because I did not anywhere that I am aware of, acknowledge signing up for a new plan. I am really getting annoyed and frustrated by the recent happenings with the big carriers lately. Are there any that offer truly unlimited plans anymore? Seriously, WTF???

Tmobile and At&t have been using Tmobiles rapidly declining user base as a reason to go forward with the merger. This very well might be to drive some more users away

We have a winner.

i'm also geting annoyed big carriers lately and the throttling overage thing is a crock
they all get the most money with all of there fee's .

This stuff makes me glad I didn't switch to T-Mo when I left Verizon last week.

Back