Tech Gone Wrong?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm no expert, but the idea of sticking people in a human sized microwave just doesn't sound right. I'm probably overreacting but this quote from the article doesn't calm my fears any:

The premise is simple: use low-power microwave radiation to kill the malaria parasites that wreak havoc in a person's blood stream. The parasites feed on blood cells, giving them a higher than average iron concentration than the tissue that surrounds them. The microwave energy heats up the microscopic parasites, causing them to explode and die instantly.

Basicaly shoot yourself up with a 1 year equivalent of X-Rays in less than a second.

Makes me think of the wood heat treating machine that they stick the guy in from the movie Kick Ass. Same thing happens to him that supposedly going to happen to the malaria:rolleyes:

@NickJames - The article (and even the summary, since this is the Internet I have to assume you didn't RTFA) uses the words "microwave radiation." Microwaves are NON-IONIZING radiation; primary effect is heating and no chromosomal/DNA effects result. X-rays are IONIZING and have the ability to damage DNA/chromosomes.

I spent plenty of time in a "human-size" microwave - it's called a stirred mode chamber. I worked in the electromagnetic interference industry (primarily in an anechoic chamber but also in outdoor facilities) for 6.5 years before transitioning to a different role in my organization. Plenty of people sized antennas being pushed by 1 kW input power in human-sensitive frequencies. Not at all unusual.

Research is still ongoing, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has pledged money to a second round of testing.

I never actually believed the BSOD could become real. :p

Doctor Doctor!! the patient is sick! what should we do??!

Nuke him for 30 seconds, and put him in with some hot pockets... i'm hungry...

Research is still ongoing, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has pledged money to a second round of testing.
Bill Gates is also dedicated to world population control through the use of vaccines. Nothing he or his foundation does is at all for altruistic reasons. He has also expressed approval for death panels. Fantastic. :rolleyes:

Bill Gates is also dedicated to world population control through the use of vaccines. Nothing he or his foundation does is at all for altruistic reasons. He has also expressed approval for death panels. Fantastic. :rolleyes:

Damnit, you didn't give me any warning and I couldn't get my tinfoil hat on in time! :mad:

Not all that unrealistic. WW2 engineers were often exposed to their radar dishes and reputedly noticed a warming effect

" He was working on an active radar set when he noticed that a Mr. Goodbar he had in his pocket started to melt. The radar had melted his chocolate bar with microwaves. The first food to be deliberately cooked with Spencer's microwave was popcorn, and the second was an egg, which exploded in the face of one of the experimenters."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven

Could human-sized microwaves be an instant cure for malaria?

Such a deceptive title.

Yes, the microwave would kill mosquitos, fleas and other parasites because they're cold blooded and lack the ability to regulate their body temperature like a human does.

The microwave will do absolutely nothing to combat a Malaria infection, which would seem to be the definition of "cure".

The title should really read: "Could human-sized microwaves be an effective means of pest control which is possibly less harmful to humans than spray-on repellent?"

Such a deceptive title.

Yes, the microwave would kill mosquitos, fleas and other parasites because they're cold blooded and lack the ability to regulate their body temperature like a human does.

The microwave will do absolutely nothing to combat a Malaria infection, which would seem to be the definition of "cure".

The title should really read: "Could human-sized microwaves be an effective means of pest control which is possibly less harmful to humans than spray-on repellent?"

Wow, no, no that isn't what the article is about at all.

Oh look! Another Alex Jones's fan's taking Bill Gate's comments out of context. Right now, in third world countries, third world country people tend to have 6+ or as many as possible children because there a good chance(often > 40%) that your child will die before reaching adulthood due to disease, famine, sudden-infant death syndrome, heat-stroke, aids or you name-it. Your children in those third world countries ARE you retirement plan/future. People have lots of kids to increase their chances that at least '1' survives.

If you give them vaccines to prevent say Malaria/Aids(someday) then you might have that >40% chance drop down to >15% meaning the parents can bare less children and know there's a good chacne '1' will survie'. He has never said VACCINES KILL PEOPLE but rather Vaccines, although, possibly retarding and the cause of autism in some kids; it would prevent children from being-born thus reducing population because those people in third world countries feel they need less children.

This idea actually came from some friendly aliens, who also gave him a book called How to Serve Humans.

He is a eugenicist any way that you look at it and he wants to depopulate the world. He make it pretty explicitly clear. His support for what amounts to regulated murder in denying health care to those that are too old was explicitly stated also. But by all means, defend your idol.

And no, they will have the same amount of children, regardless.

If anything these "vaccines" will sterilize people.

Think of the WHO experiments in the 1990s giving girls and women a "tetanus vaccine" that had hCG in it.

Just how will a vaccine will lower CO2 emissions, Mr. Gates? Oh, yes, I see how.

Wtf are you smoking? If he wanted population control why even intervene...seriously how do some people even think like this?

seems fun and sound, but really using the line "human-sized microwave ovens" will really scare the shit of alot of possible testing volunteers :D

Wtf are you smoking? If he wanted population control why even intervene...seriously how do some people even think like this?

I didn't agree with the previous poster's comment, but honestly, there are some times you should intervene if logic seemed to have been thrown out the window by someone :D ( just to be clear, this is not about gates, i like his charity)

He is a eugenicist any way that you look at it and he wants to depopulate the world. He make it pretty explicitly clear. His support for what amounts to regulated murder in denying health care to those that are too old was explicitly stated also. But by all means, defend your idol.

And no, they will have the same amount of children, regardless.

Ya know, you could provide a link to try to prove your theory, otherwise you're just blowing smoke.

murder in denying health care to those that are too old

There are people of all ages dying right now because they don't have health care. So unless you're leading a totally altruistic-minimalist life and giving all of your excess income to those people then you are participating in what you're calling murder - just like we all are.

Can we get back to the topic?

This is potentially a non-drug instant CURE for malaria. If they can prove this works, it would be a titanic victory for modern medicine and would make malaria a "ho-hum" disease.

"You have malaria. Don't worry, just step in here, wait a few seconds... done! You are cured. Go home."

Holy crap. That's awesome.

Can we get back to the topic?

This is potentially a non-drug instant CURE for malaria. If they can prove this works, it would be a titanic victory for modern medicine and would make malaria a "ho-hum" disease.

"You have malaria. Don't worry, just step in here, wait a few seconds... done! You are cured. Go home."

Holy crap. That's awesome.

Everyone here thinks this, except for Eiseherp. There's really not a lot of ground to cover with this story, unless we want to go off on how it's not gaming related and shouldn't be on the front page.

Back