Bungie Employee Arrests Gunman

HardOCP News

[H] News
For all the people that think gamers are all basement-dwelling weaklings, I give you Jeff Fletcher, Bungie employee by day...crime fighter by night. :D

While his friend hid in the car, Fletcher, a former security guard, hid near the ATM. He said he noticed the man running towards them, so he pulled out his own legally concealed firearm. "I told him to drop his weapon, he dropped his weapon," said Fletcher. "I told him to get on the ground, he got on the ground."

Laaaaaaaame. I was totally expecting to read about how he dropped off a bridge or something and on the end portion of his bungie jump he snagged the other guy's gun from him.. whipping back up to safety.

.. Then I realized it's Bungee... not Bungie... :eek:

Kudos to the guy for bagging the baddies but wtf with carrying cuffs? Lol Paul Bart.

Kudos to the guy for bagging the baddies but wtf with carrying cuffs? Lol Paul Bart.

The cuffs stuck me as "odd" too. Hopefully he gets paid enough to move out of that cesspool, I don't even like driving through it that much.

Yay for concealed carry!
This!

I had a personal experience with something similar. Some dumbass kid was trying to steal money from a poor lady walking out of a bank. He pushed her against a wall with a gun in his hand, grabbed her purse and turned to run away. My uncle pulled his gun and the kid simultaneously dropped to the ground, started crying, and pissed his pants. Turned out the kid almost died for holding someone up with a BB gun.

That's awesome. He's also level headed:
Fletcher said he just reacted to the situation, and doesn't really recommend most others do what he did, though he said "to ex-police or ex-army, or somebody who's got sufficient training and who's willing to take on that kind of risk for their loved ones or their community and has the capacity to do it, absolutely."

Well said.

The article says they were in his ex-cop father's holster, which is the holster he happened to have with him that day.

former security guard? carries cuffs? this guy's a mall ninja and his wet dream just came true!

How can it be possible that this didn't turn into a wild-west style shoot-out? Did his gun have the shoulder thing that goes up?

Yay for concealed carry!
Yay for concealed carry on people who are trained properly. Not so yay for weekend rambos. I'm glad the guy not only does have the proper training, but makes a statement for others not to copy unless they have that training as well.

Yay for concealed carry on people who are trained properly. Not so yay for weekend rambos. I'm glad the guy not only does have the proper training, but makes a statement for others not to copy unless they have that training as well.

I don't know how it is in other places, but in Maine training is mandatory for a CCW. You have to qualify with it on the range, take a class, and pass a test.

I don't know how it is in other places, but in Maine training is mandatory for a CCW. You have to qualify with it on the range, take a class, and pass a test.

Safety and marksmanship training is required in Nevada also, in the particular weapon for which you are being licensed.

One test. Even a police officer who has much more training still isn't that accurate with a pistol:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/nyregion/08nypd.html?hp=&pagewanted=all said:
New York City police officers fire their weapons far less often than they did a decade ago, a statistic that has dropped along with the crime rate. But when they do fire, even at an armed suspect, there is often no one returning fire at the officers. Officers hit their targets roughly 34 percent of the time.

But when firing at dogs, they're 55% accurate...wtf. I'm assuming the dog is at closer range.

You don't need cuffs really. If I get you on the ground on your chest, I can put you in a wrist lock that will hold you for hours if need be, unless you are strong enough - and are willing to break all the joints in that arm.

Nice job.

Training is also mandatory in Utah to conceal carry. As long as you are familiar enough with guns, follow the laws, and practice good common sense, then there is nothing wrong with you carrying a firearm. Usually people that say the general public shouldn't be allowed to carry firearms, or should be required to have "extensive training", have never held a firearm in their life.

One test. Even a police officer who has much more training still isn't that accurate with a pistol:

But when firing at dogs, they're 55% accurate...wtf. I'm assuming the dog is at closer range.

Depending on how the tests/statistics were gathered, 34% against a target running away with it's back turned to you isn't bad at all :D

All kidding aside, you don't fire your weapon at someone if there is potential for bystanders to be near your line of fire.

Luckily, this guy didn't have to fire his gun at all.

Depending on how the tests/statistics were gathered, 34% against a target running away with it's back turned to you isn't bad at all :D

All kidding aside, you don't fire your weapon at someone if there is potential for bystanders to be near your line of fire.

Luckily, this guy didn't have to fire his gun at all.

I am totally pro RTKBA but this is one thing worth bringing up.

WTF does this guy do if the criminal, instead of crapping himself and dropping his gun, draws a bead on our hero??

Probably drops him right? In which case Mr. armed citizen is in for a whole different experience than he is enjoying right now. Think carefully folks before commiting yourself to an armed confrontation. Not saying this guy was wrong...but he took a hell of a risk. Myself, if no one was in immediate danger, I would probably have taken a knee.

Very glad our man got lucky this time.

I am totally pro RTKBA but this is one thing worth bringing up.

WTF does this guy do if the criminal, instead of crapping himself and dropping his gun, draws a bead on our hero??

Probably drops him right? In which case Mr. armed citizen is in for a whole different experience than he is enjoying right now. Think carefully folks before commiting yourself to an armed confrontation. Not saying this guy was wrong...but he took a hell of a risk. Myself, if no one was in immediate danger, I would probably have taken a knee.

Very glad our man got lucky this time.

It is the responsibility of the gun owner to pick his fights. As any gun owner should do, I am sure this guy gauged the situation and then opted to intervene. From the information at hand, we have no reason to believe any "luck" was involved in the outcome. If the bungie employee felt at any time the suspect was going to try to aim and shoot at him, the suspect would have had at least two bullets in him before he could even get his sights on the good samaritan.

It is the responsibility of the gun owner to pick his fights. As any gun owner should do, I am sure this guy gauged the situation and then opted to intervene. From the information at hand, we have no reason to believe any "luck" was involved in the outcome. If the bungie employee felt at any time the suspect was going to try to aim and shoot at him, the suspect would have had at least two bullets in him before he could even get his sights on the good samaritan.

right

and the good samaritan would be chilling in King County righty now awaiting arraingment

right

and the good samaritan would be chilling in King County righty now awaiting arraingment

Yes that is possible, but you don't pull your gun on anyone you aren't prepared to kill, he went into the situation knowing that could be the result. He could have let a potential murderer get away, or he would worst case scenario have to go through the headaches of the legal system. In my opinion he made the right choice, whether he had to kill the guy our not.

Training is also mandatory in Utah to conceal carry. As long as you are familiar enough with guns, follow the laws, and practice good common sense, then there is nothing wrong with you carrying a firearm. Usually people that say the general public shouldn't be allowed to carry firearms, or should be required to have "extensive training", have never held a firearm in their life.

the problem is that people who don't have extensive training greatly overestimate their skill, especially with a pistol. someone who, in reality, can barely hit a paper plate at 5 yards at a gun range trying to hit a person at 20 yards under extreme stress is a huge liability. that said, the individual should seek out training - it shouldn't be government mandated.

right

Highly doubtful. The chance of him ending up in jail would be so rare its hard to even think it a option.

Kinda funny, he wouldn't have even needed a concealed carry permit to pull that off. Washington is an open carry state.

Utah is an open carry state too, the only problem is that very few people know Utah is open carry. I don't know if Washington has the same problem.

I have only open carried a few times in Utah, every time I was on my way to go hunting. I don't open carry anymore because its just too much of a hassle to put up with ignorant people who feel it is their duty to inform me of a law that doesn't exist.

Back