Amazon Cloud Outage Downs Netflix, Quora

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix users around the world let out a collective cry of agony last night as Amazon's Web Services went down for about a half hour. Quora, Reddit, and Foursquare users were just mildly annoyed. ;)

The network connectivity issues struck Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) at Amazon's northern Virginia site, which handles AWS operations for the U.S. East Coast at 7:39 p.m. PDT and were resolved about 25 minutes later, according to the Amazon Web Services Health Dashboard.

How many redundant systems have to fail for a cloud of this importance to fail? I can understand reduced capacity... but an outright failure?

I was wondering what the hell was up when I couldn't connect to Netflix last night.

And people wonder why I think Cloud computing is a stupid idea. :rolleyes:

Lucky me, I wasn't looking to stream netflix last night.

I thought the whole point of "The Cloud" was that stuff like this wouldn't happen.

Cloud is a joke. Just branded hype to sell handing over all your personal/business information to a 3rd party.

Oh the irony of clouds being outside so you start up Netflix only to find out the clouds have disappeared inside :)

Apparently Netflix's "Chaos Monkey" has never brought down an entire datacenter....

I was using my PS3 last night and I could not connect to Netflix but I don't understand how this connects to Amazon. Are they using the same servers to provide the service?

Cloud is a joke. Just branded hype to sell handing over all your personal/business information to a 3rd party.

Reminds me of how we were going to get rid of paper by going computer. I see printers are still a big item in business and home. I like the concept of keeping valuables off the premises in case of fire, such as a bank in a vault.This idea of putting my valuable data in trust to another company, well so far I haven't been able to read their ahem, EULA of sorts, if its anywhere near what they give you when you buy software, well icloud is a lost cause.

So hows that working out now? Having ALL your data in a centralized fashion reliant upon people other than those who work for your company.

Brilliant idea this cloud is... really brilliant

How many redundant systems have to fail for a cloud of this importance to fail? I can understand reduced capacity... but an outright failure?

Actually Amazon isn't a cloud, it's a distributed content delivery network. The crucial difference is that the Amazon customers have to distribute the content themselves across the different data centers (and pay for the distributed resources). This was the previous problem when the Amazon datacenter on the East Coast went down and folks were hosting with Amazon but did not distribute across other datacenters.

This is user error, or calculated risk users took, rather than a failure of the cloud. As for actual cloud services that don't have a single point of failure Windows Azure is one of those, probably some other companies have them as well, but Amazon isn't one of them.

Yep, had to watch the media center instead of Netflix last night, OH THE HORROR!

1) It's not a cloud (apparently)

2) It was down for 25 minutes, boo hoo.

Great service for the money!
You pay more, you get less.

Will there be a refund of time lost?

thats twice within one year right?

so much for 100% uptime.

at least there was no data loss.... that was reported.

Back