Government Agencies Warn of Solar Storms

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The US government, NOAA and National Geographic are all warning of the effects of impending solar storms this week. If the Earth happens to be in the path, the resulting damage could be significant to communications, power transmission and satellites.

Foil will work? Because if so, I will cover my computer and equipment with it.
Better safe then sorry, am I right?

This is always a threat. The Sun is still a poorly understood as we've only been observing it heavily and recording it in the last few hundred years.

But for the most part there is jack shit we can do about it. It would take trillions to harden all the power grids to be able to absorb an event.

Some planets already have polar shifted. Wonder would happen if communication was out for years?

Foil will work? Because if so, I will cover my computer and equipment with it.
Better safe then sorry, am I right?

I think that a foil or metal cage helps some, but I'm not 100% certain. You'd best read up on it. I do know that a big concern is power surges and brownouts on the power and communications grids, so you ought to look into a good UPS and surge protector for your sensitive equipment.

I don't think the hardware on earth is the problem, its the hardware outside of the atmosphere that's not protected by earth magic.

It's the 3000ish satellites that are at risk.

Gee I wish they would make up their mind already. Are we going to have this impending doomsday solar mass ejection toward the earth, or will there be another grand minimum. I can't tell cause everyone keeps switching to the other end of the solar spectrum every month or so.

http://www.nso.edu/press/SolarActivityDrop.html

I think that a foil or metal cage helps some, but I'm not 100% certain. You'd best read up on it. I do know that a big concern is power surges and brownouts on the power and communications grids, so you ought to look into a good UPS and surge protector for your sensitive equipment.

As I recall the biggest concern was that a unusually large coronal mass ejection would hit the earth around the same time our magnetic field was shifting polarity or just generally having a weak field. The ionizing particles hitting the atmosphere would alter electrical field lines in the earth magnetic field and induce a large Direct Current on our transcontinental high voltage lines that are made for AC power. The transformer equipment on either end of the high voltage lines would blowup or blowout or something like that when a large Direct Current was induced and transmitted across the wire lengths. This would also cascade into other areas of the electrical grid and cause widespread power failures because the electrical grids are all tied together and the equipment is made to handle AC rather than DC power, so it would not failsafe to prevent damage down the line. With the major transformers all blowing out at the same time, it would take a decade or more to replace them all (nobody has produced enough of these large scale transformers to replace every single one of them across the entire US power grid and production capacity is rather limitted and production time for new units its a few months.

This happens every 11 and 22 years, when the Sun goes through its regular cycle.

In short, get over it. Nothing to see, move along.

Tinfoil shielding isn't going to do much good, as the real damage from strong solar storms and flares is in the electrical distribution grid. It induces high voltage and current spikes in powerlines that the grid's protection systems aren't always adequately designed for.

Number 1 thing is to check your house ground and make sure it's in good repair, make sure the neutral is properly bonded in the electrical panel, and that the cable coax line is properly bonded to the grounding system outside. Install a whole-house surge suppressor near the electrical panel(needs to be as close to the house ground as possible) , use good surge protectors and a UPS at your computer, networking gear, and expensive electronics. This is about all you can do to protect your stuff.

Check out the link at the bottom of the page

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/193726/20110806/solar-storm-solar-flare-nasa.htm

This is image #3

mordor.jpg

It's the freaking EYE OF MORDOR!

We're screwed!

Wonder if it's started early,lost all connections to the net last night until around 3:00 pm today. Not just with one PC,but three different systems trying with two different ISPs.

This happens every 11 and 22 years, when the Sun goes through its regular cycle.

In short, get over it. Nothing to see, move along.

And it did in fact affected Canada in 1989
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1989_geomagnetic_storm

It affected us in an even larger scale back in 1859
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
It mentioned that the telegraph system was affected over North America and Europe.

I think it is a valid concern as long as there's a small but non-zero chance that something like the 1859 storm could hit us again, and with our modern technology today, the impact on us would be even greater.

One time when I was about 12 or 13 or so (so we'll say mid 90's) there was a very intense electrical storm that happened while I spent the night at a friends house. The power to the neighborhood went out. But the flourescent lights in the his kitchen would flicker on and off.

I was kinda scary as a child to see the lights in the kitchen come on it an other wise powerless house, but it was an awsome demonstration of nature as well :)

I think it's aliens pissing off our sun somehow. Its got to be!
The sun is irritated and might be getting sick. Someone a Star doctor?
Please go check it out!

As I recall the biggest concern was that a unusually large coronal mass ejection would hit the earth around the same time our magnetic field was shifting polarity or just generally having a weak field. The ionizing particles hitting the atmosphere would alter electrical field lines in the earth magnetic field and induce a large Direct Current on our transcontinental high voltage lines that are made for AC power. The transformer equipment on either end of the high voltage lines would blowup or blowout or something like that when a large Direct Current was induced and transmitted across the wire lengths. This would also cascade into other areas of the electrical grid and cause widespread power failures because the electrical grids are all tied together and the equipment is made to handle AC rather than DC power, so it would not failsafe to prevent damage down the line. With the major transformers all blowing out at the same time, it would take a decade or more to replace them all (nobody has produced enough of these large scale transformers to replace every single one of them across the entire US power grid and production capacity is rather limitted and production time for new units its a few months.

I'm sorry but you are wrong, the electrical system has DC ties in the midwest that isolates the west and east as well as DC ties that go from most major power providers like SOCO, TVA, LGEE etc... So if there was something like this and there were lines that were wiped out you can isolate the problem and it would not spread.

The Sun is just letting all the Global Warming religious nuts know what really effects climate and temperature.

hopefully it'll just take out the transponder Mtv is on and leave the rest alone.

Is there any good news today?

Stock market, solar wind...

Will the jumpers increase off the San Francisco Bay Bridge today?

<zZZzZZ> sorry bos<zZZZxzx> my connection is going out <zzZzzzZZ> damn solar storms <zzZZZzZZz> can't come to work <ZzzzZ>

Worth a shot, right?

The eye reminds me of that Green Lantern animated movie where that sun demon was hiding out killing people!

The name of the movie is green lantern emerald knights

And the bad guy you speak of was Krona.

That was an awesome movie, I thought it was actually slightly better than the live action flick.

The Sun? pfft that little thing way up there? I can't imagine something that I can cover with my thumb could have any effect here on earth. I've had a lightbulb explode once, now that's something you gotta worry about. If I was looking up at it I could've gotten glass in my eyes. Fortunately the sun doesn't have glass so I'm not concerned in the slightest. This is just a scam from nasa to get us to purchase surplus stocks of sunblock before it expires.

Well actually this is quite worrying, it is quite convincing that it could cause widespread damage to communication as its happened in the past where copper telegraph lines were catching ablaze spontaneously earlier last century. Also this YouTube video from a while back is pretty ominous. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXzYpfLFFes&feature=related

Back