Sony Wins Award for Most Epic Fail

HardOCP News

[H] News
If I were Sony, I would just be happy to win an award of any kind. :D

This year Sony, who shut down the Playstation Network for a whole month in the spring, was so completely and utterly considered a failure by security folks that there was no doubt the company would win. Even crazed Vegas gamblers couldn’t have bet against Sony’s win: the company’s security report card was so bad this year they were the only nominee.

Not surprising and I would of leaned that way anyhow. That said, I am surprised that they were the only nominee. Honestly HBGary a "Cyber Security Firm" for the government should of at least been mentioned. While Sony utterly and completely fell on their face and then proceeded to flail around blindly, they have the excuse of not being a Major security enterprise that specializes in this kind of stuff.

I thought Sony outsourced their IT for PSN.

Anyway, got a 2 free games out of it, so it wasn't all bad. All anyone got was my name and address, which isn't hard to get elsewhere anyway.

Yeah... I tend to think some of the other hacks were much worse or at least deserve mention, like the 22 against US Government agencies / contract partners. Or how about Citibank, where people actually got credit card numbers... not just names and addresses.

Yeah... I tend to think some of the other hacks were much worse or at least deserve mention, like the 22 against US Government agencies / contract partners. Or how about Citibank, where people actually got credit card numbers... not just names and addresses.

I thought the PSN hackers also got credit card info. They just choose to not use them.

Bet there were a whole bunch of extra fingers lying around on the boardroom table after those attacks.
It's simply mind boggling that Sony didn't go into emergancy mode sooner and lock their shit down tight.

It wasn't just for the psn hack, also for suing geohot and thinking they could erase something from the net. HB Gary did win in another category iirc and stuxnet won for attack of the year. I don't know if citi was mentioned as I missed the first 2/3rds of the presentation.

I'm kind of surprised they were the only candidate...

And not citibank, lockheed martin, the US goverment, nasdaq, the canadian goverment (several times), the FBI, etc etc.

I think on number of times "hacked" in 2011 the US goverment wins by a clear lead.
Also on the sensitivity of the information collected/leaked clear US goverment victory, not even including the numerous defence contractors, NASA, FBI etc. etc. etc.

Notible mentions should be mySQL's breach via...SQL...

I'm kind of surprised they were the only candidate...

And not citibank, lockheed martin, the US goverment, nasdaq, the canadian goverment (several times), the FBI, etc etc.

I think on number of times "hacked" in 2011 the US goverment wins by a clear lead.
Also on the sensitivity of the information collected/leaked clear US goverment victory, not even including the numerous defence contractors, NASA, FBI etc. etc. etc.

Notible mentions should be mySQL's breach via...SQL...
As worthy as Sony was, these were all much more serious. I'm surprised, too.

On an semi-related note, the world in general and the US specifically needs to just block Chinese IPs by default if they want any real security.

Microsoft has nothing to be proud about either.

"Mandt came up with his own method for exploiting the Windows kernel and found over 40 vulnerabilities."

Back