Facebook's Big Push to Put Advertising in Your Feed

HardOCP News

[H] News
The WSJ has learned that *gasp* Facebook is trying to make money off ads. Oddly enough, the article never once mentions the obvious cure for this type of "privacy invasion" ....don't use Facebook.

Here’s how it works: Advertisers tag their ads and then place them on their targeted sites around the web. When the ads are viewed, the ads make a call to Facebook, which then searches its own user database to identify the viewer of the ad. It then gathers up that person’s demographic information (but not personally identifiable information) and sends it to Nielsen. Nielsen is then able to report back to advertisers who saw their ads in a particular campaign.

The WSJ has learned that *gasp* Facebook is trying to make money off ads. Oddly enough, the article never once mentions the obvious cure for this type of "privacy invasion" ....don't use Facebook.

On the one hand this is great for advertisers, to be able to know that they are reaching their targets, on the other, it raises some privacy concerns. We'll see, the OCR service is getting released next month and it will be interesting to note what happens. I do think that the these changes might be more annoying: Facebook's move to unfilter the news feed would make these advertisers much happier. The newer feed "would open the floodgates of information about users and the games they win, the companies they "Like" and the actions their friends take, said people familiar with the matter," continues Raice and Steele.

I would think it will lead to people de-friending a lot of people that they barely know, or don't really want to deal with, that they for one reason or another accepted as friends.

The net is becoming a cesspool of ads, twitter and FB feeds. I'm ready for Web 3.0 to clean this shit up.

Or better yet, create an account possibly go the attractive girl guy route with a seductive picture and go on an adding spree. After that just make new pictures with ad text as the caption and tag everyone.

As most people are set to allow people to see pictures they are tagged in it not only goes to the person tagged but all t heir friends. Its how spammers do it now on Facebook and Facebook seems to not care or do anything about it.

Oh, if you sell shoes just put a picture of a shoe instead of a gir/guy, it will still work.

W/ shit like this why are companies still advertising on tv... I mean I doubt 1/3 the people that watch the shows today see the commercials the effectiveness of them has to have greatly decreased since DVR.

I think Facebook is just about at the end of their Honeymoon with the public.

Back