'Xbox: Play' Bringing Voice Recognition to the Living Room

HardOCP News

[H] News
For years leading up to the launch of Kinect for Xbox 360, Microsoft was blending technologies for the connected living room, working toward its vision of a natural, powerful center for home entertainment. At the same time, millions of people around the world had invited the newest iteration of video game consoles into their homes — the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system, which was capable of handling games, movies, TV, music and photos — and it opened a world of Internet-connected possibilities.

“Bill Gates spoke about Microsoft’s strategy for the living room, with an intelligent entertainment center to enable amazing experiences,” says Thomas Soemo, principal program manager lead for the Xbox platform at Microsoft. “We knew that the Xbox 360 system was going to be a prime component of this vision.”

I'm a skeptic on this actually working as well as advertized.
Can the Xbox truly listen to just one person while there are four other conversations in the room?

I must say I'm shocked that the Kinect has worked as well as advertized, but i still need to see something like this in action.

it uses 4 positional microphones to locate who is talking to it and seperate them from the rest. Once you say the key phrase of kinect or xbox it locks onto where it came from until either command is issued or timeout occurs.

it uses 4 positional microphones to locate who is talking to it and seperate them from the rest. Once you say the key phrase of kinect or xbox it locks onto where it came from until either command is issued or timeout occurs.

Yup, it works OK. "XBOX, play disc!" Now we don't even have to use our thumbs.

The voice commands on my Kinect work flawlessly. I was certain the voice commands would be just as bad as everything else that uses them so I was pleasantly surprised.

Back