GlobalFoundries ITDC Laboratory Tour @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
GlobalFoundries ITDC Laboratory Tour - You ever heard the numbers thrown around about how many wafers will be produced by a fab? GlobalFoundries is telling us Fab 8 will build processors using up to 60,000 wafers a month when it is under full production. Have you ever wondered how all those wafers get to where they need to be? We show you how that happens.

Krazy stuff going on in that room. Had some stuff we could not show you! :eek:

Definitely going to be a nice facility, but it has nothing on the new one being built in Arizona :D

@#$%en wow!!! little r2d2 droids carrying wafers...cool!!! And they 'do' foop!??

Last edited:
But will be shown in the next few weeks? something about a Bulldozer?

No, the rest of what is in the room was trade secret information pertaining to wafer management, nothing specific to Bulldozer.

@#$%en wow!!! little r2d2 droids carrying wafers...cool!!! And they 'do' foop!??

FOUP - Front Opening Unified Pod, sometimes "Universal Pod."

The brownish opaque containers that the wafers are actually put into are called "FOUPs."

I love to get to see inside places like this, the level of advanced technology and software control is awe-inspiring and to me so beautiful.
But not only that, i love getting to see fab 8 and its surrounding infrastructure developing, as it is such a massive investment and i find it amazing how far they have come in just a couple years and still managed to be ahead of schedule.

Thanks for the great video and another update relative to fab 8, will there be any more to come in the future as things progress?

+1 for Skynet.

Global Foundries laying the groundwork for our future machine overlords.

I have no idea what any of that equipment does but it looks amazing :eek: I kind of want one of those tracks setup so a little robot can drop a cold beer in my lap when requested.

So now where is my new shiny APU's ?? lol

Looks pretty cool, all the automation involved in moving the parts around hands free is pretty nice tech.

Got one that brings drinks?? Could use for fridge to living room, and auto restocks the cooler when empty ?? lol

I watched the video. Have no idea what's going on, :(

I typed a couple paragraphs on the page so people that were not informed could figure it out. Reading is fundamental.

Thanks for sharing this. Like the former video, this was very interesting to watch. There is no way to imagine a facility like this.

The designs in that place are absolutely incredible! Level design, please.

Heh I worked for Texas Instruments in the 90's. In a full building clean room. Had to wear the full smock/bunny suit while working there. 12hr shift in that suit was hell. Trust me. You only ever sneeze once in it. After that you learn how to stifle it. They converted the fab to use SMIF pods later but that was after I was laid off. The fab did not have any carriers bots. We had to move them from one process to the other by hand. Had a lady trip and fall while doing that. Broke all the wafers in 2 carriers. 100k worth of chips trashed.

Nice video. Amazing facility. What's the new facility in Arizona that someone referred to earlier? Does it belong to the same company? Just curious.

what's the "jingle" that the AMHS plays when it's delivering a FOUP?

I've heard it said that it's part of a Russian song.

Very neat system. Amazing to see how well they're managing stuff with robotics. Kinda leaves me wondering how many workers they actually need though.

Back