Google TV Revue Returns Greater Than Sales

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Logitech reports the company lost $30M in the first quarter, mainly attributed to Google-TV related products. The losses have prompted Logitech to fire its CEO and drop the price of the Revue to $99 from $249. Logitech is now seeing more returns than sales on the Google powered Revue box.

Still, neither Logitech nor Google are giving up on Google TV. Both partners believe the platform will be successful for the long haul over time.

I've never heard of it.

Guess that's part of the failure..

well, since my xbox360 already does all the media playing I want it to do....

but I've heard of other items like RokuHD, and now that new TVs can even play Netflix, Youtube :ekk: whick makes a seperate addon kinda useless, unless if it can surf the web (which a know a few Sammy TVs can do this, too).

I don't get why any one would buy this? Isn't it still blocked from viewing netflix and hulu?

I still love the Kevin Bacon ad. I kinda want this at $99, but I am not sure what I would do with it. We have 2 tv's, the one in the living room as a HTPC connected to it (also serves as my dvr and cable tv gateway via ceton tuner) and we have one in our bedroom that has a PS3 connected to it. What could I even use this for? Will this allow me to access my DRM media center recordings in the bedroom? (been considering picking up an xbox 360 for the bedroom for just this purpose) if not what is the point?

I never understood why this stuff was so expensive. I bought my seagate media player for $45 and it does everything most would want it to do except hulu.

Google sent my work one of these for free but has since not released an SDK.

Yeah, if it was open and modifiable I'd buy one right away, because I know somebody would figure out how to modify it to make itself look like a desktop and have Hulu and such work on it. With it all locked down, hard to modify, and STILL shunned by the media companies it just isn't worth it - not even at $99.

I don't get why any one would buy this? Isn't it still blocked from viewing netflix and hulu?

Netflix has worked on it since it launched with an official app. Everything else, though (hulu, network sites, etc..) is pretty much blocked.

So Netflix + Youtube is mostly all it's good for. That said, when a site doesn't block it it works pretty well - the flash plugin in it easily handles every stream I've thrown at it, from youtube's 1080p to bliptv to justintv live streaming.

Hopefully the Honeycomb update they talked about at Google I/O really amps up the experience, which is pretty lacking right now.

"They are in it for the long haul".

Sounds like they are in for disappointment for the long haul. Honestly there is little to no place for devices like this anymore. You can get a console or build an HTPC for honestly not all that much more and have far more flexibility.

"They are in it for the long haul".

Sounds like they are in for disappointment for the long haul. Honestly there is little to no place for devices like this anymore. You can get a console or build an HTPC for honestly not all that much more and have far more flexibility.

The long haul is the battle with the providers. Right now Verizon, Comcast, etc are double dipping when it comes to delivering TV content. That's why Hulu is blocked on everything from smartphones (except Iphone) to HTPC software (think about that NBC-Comcast merger). Right now the content providers are trying to make you pay per device for content which often times is distributed over the same network as everything else. In terms of HTPC's it seems almost every other month there's a new block for content which is already sent to you anyway if you've got a cable box.

What do you think you're cable/TV bill would look like if Hulu was freely accessible to all of your devices?

[...].

What do you think you're cable/TV bill would look like if Hulu was freely accessible to all of your devices?

0usd, same as it is now :D But I don't watch much TV, either :) I get my drama from [H] :p

Are these good to stream mkv files with? If it doesn't have cinavia then it would make sense for me

Back