Half of Netflix Users View From a Console

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new Nielsen report claims that half of all Netflix users are streaming movies to a console. Lovely, this is just what we need, another console versus PC debate. ;)

A new report from Nielsen reveals that a major number of Netflix users - about half of them - use the streaming entertainment service on a console. Respondents to the survey said they like to use the Xbox 360, the Wii, or PlayStation 3. The study also found that 89 percent of Hulu users watch directly from their computers, compared to 42 percent of Netflix customers.

pc is better than console, netflix sucks.

there, debates are done for this thread.

I have a PC and a PS3 hooked to the televison in my living room. For some odd reason I always use the PS3 to do netflix. I think it is just my way of justifying had paying 500$ for the thing and I never play anything on it.

I have my pc and 360 hooked up to the same monitor. I use my pc almost exclusively these days.

When I looked into hulu plus for the 360 a bunch of stuff had a big middle finger on it saying I wasn't permitted to view it on my tv. Needless to say I choice not to keep paying for hulu.

I'm not really surprised that many of the users play them on consoles though as far as netflix goes.

Suppose those plastic boxes with outdated computer parts are good for something. :)

Most people don't have a computer hooked up to the TV (or know how) yet can hook a console up. People like watching films on big screens.

My 360 basically serves as a media box. I stream music to it and watch netflix, and I know a lot of people who are the same way.

Though, I occasionally play Halo but only when there's 4 of us sitting around the 360.

After Netflix changed how the PS3 menu selection works from okay, to fucking useless. I tend to use the laptop a lot more and have that hooked up through HDMI to the TV.

I have been using Media center to stream Netflix and it has been nothing but trouble. Every couple of months I will randomly get the, "we could not authenticate your request, blah blah blah" for like 2-3 weeks(The fixes don't usually work) in a row and I will have to either switch to the browser or just keep clicking play until it finally works. The only reason I stick out with it and don't pick up a roku is the fact that my tv's audio blows complete balls, and its much better listening to movies on my PC speakers... If you have a good audio system on your tv, skip media center and pick up a roku or something similar since Microsoft just doesn't care.

I only watch netflix on my roku, unless I am traveling. It is great to have in hotels with free wifi.

I have a Media center PC hooked up to the TV, but I still use the Xbox 360 for Netflix. It just looks better on the Xbox 360 for some reason, sharper (it's almost like the PC version isn't playing the HD stream), better colors, I have the color space set correctly (HDMI color level) and it has happened all the way from the nVidia card I originally had, to ATI, to Intel integrated so I don't think it's the videocard causing it.

People are simple..."new" things scare them.

Isn't that non HD?

Don't know, never tried HD on the Wii, I may have to test this out.

When doing HD on netflix I load up the 360 since its much faster then loading it on the HTPC. Only time I use the HTPC for netflix is if I'm already using it which seems to be less and less these days.

I have an HTPC and 360 hooked up to my plasma and when I watch Netflix on the plasma, I'll use the 360 since it is nicer and easier to use using the 360 media remote.

I do end up watching more Netflix on my PC sitting at my desk though since I normally watch the plasma when I go to bed and it's usually some science show like the Universe or Ancient Aliens, etc...

PS3 fits nicely in my entertainment center. PC Does not.

It is not a tough decision.

The PC's are in the computer room, the TV and PS3 are in the living room.

More people use there PC to watch torrented content I bet. Most people I know that use Netflix use a laptop with a smaller section using phones and tablets.

Forget PC vs. console, it's my Blu-Ray player vs. the console. Too much focus on streaming meanwhile discs are disappearing from Netflix and not getting replaced. I only stream TV shows and mediocre movies. I prefer a Blu-Ray copy for superior HD picture and audio on the major movies.

Wii only displays up to 480p with component cables. I use boxee box for Netflix.

Forget PC vs. console, it's my Blu-Ray player vs. the console. Too much focus on streaming meanwhile discs are disappearing from Netflix and not getting replaced. I only stream TV shows and mediocre movies. I prefer a Blu-Ray copy for superior HD picture and audio on the major movies.

Blu Ray is the only way to go no doubt, I just do it from my PCs.;)

I use to Netflix from my PS3 until they ruined it.

I mainly use netflix on my PC or ironically my 3DS mostly at work.

The PC version of Netflix gets super shit sound so we use the consoles because for some reason they get a better audio stream.

I think some people (not all) have missed the blindingly obvious:

Hulu Plus is required for console use, and it SUCKS! Hulu Plus is bad enough, requiring it for console use makes it useless.

So no suprise Netflix has the higher console utilization.

And for those who didn't RTFA, read it.

so my console pretty much stays hooked up to my tv.

my laptop does not, so by the time i hook up my laptop, boot it up, plug in my wireless mouse, power supply and switch to dedicated gpu / hdmi i could of had my ps3 booted, been on my ass, and browsing through netflix.

even for an enthusiast like myself it just makes more sense to keep the laptop in the bag and use my ps3. i'm surprised it's not more like 70% use their console.

If I had a console and a pc hooked up to the same tv, I'd use the console for netflix every time. It's impossible to read the web ui from across the room. As it is, each monitor has a different thing (blu-ray player in the living room, pc in the bedroom, wii in the man cave. Wii not being more than 480p isn't a big deal for netflix, because their HD seems to be on par with dvd quality, so my TV can upscale it.

i'm sure most households have consoles instead of pc's hooked up to their tv's so that doesn't surprise. I have both my pc and consoles hooked up to my tv and the wife and i still use the ps3 for netflix, lol.

When I looked into hulu plus for the 360 a bunch of stuff had a big middle finger on it saying I wasn't permitted to view it on my tv. Needless to say I choice not to keep paying for hulu.

I'm not really surprised that many of the users play them on consoles though as far as netflix goes.

Good to know that, I was thinking about subscribing to Hulu Plus.

Good to know that, I was thinking about subscribing to Hulu Plus.

The only reason why I held on to my xbox was to watch netflix...now its my sonsfor cartoons, restricted of course. We have 3 other samsung bluray players in the house we use ...they're decent. But, the ability to use on all interfaces is a bargain for us. DirecTV is almost on its way out the door.

Is Netflix even in HD on PC/Mac yet? It wasn't for the longest time.

Back