Project: Antec 300 Chopped and Dropped

CMadki4

Supreme [H]ardness
Here we go; yet another case mod where I take a perfectly good case and chop it up!

I've taken an Antec 300 and chopped it up to be a SFF case that is water cooling capable; squeezing a 360 radiator in there.

Here's all the pieces:
IMAG0304-1.jpg

And here it is chopped down. All the 5.25" bays are gone, just to give you and idea:
IMAG0308-1.jpg

IMAG0310-1.jpg

IMAG0313-1.jpg

And here's how the PSU will be mounted; intake from the front, exhaust out the side:
IMAG0314-1.jpg

And to mount the 360 radiator I made up a quick frame from aluminum:
IMAG0321.jpg

And as it sits now:
IMAG0330.jpg

And there you go! This is ultimately just a prototype for a completely scratch built case. Coming soon.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
I like it cmadki4, it gives me ideas for my own scratch built project! I'm planning on tearing down a 200 and using some of its pieces in a scratch built frame.

The only issue I see is the orientation of the PSU. Doesn't it mean you will have the power cable plugged into the side-front? That, because of the cable will increase the effective width by ~1.5"

The only issue I see is the orientation of the PSU. Doesn't it mean you will have the power cable plugged into the side-front? That, because of the cable will increase the effective width by ~1.5"
I'll run the cable to the back just like an A05 or Elite 360 or any other case that has the PSU in the front. There is width enough for the power plug and cables. Tight, but enough room.:D

Ultimately, I'm just tinkering with this. I've got a scratch built version on the works.

That is awesome. I would love to put one together like that for the wife without the water cooling. Unfortunately, she would need a dvd drive. I suppose a slimline drive would fit without ruining the looks to bad.

It looks great man. Keep us updated.

I'll run the cable to the back just like an A05 or Elite 360 or any other case that has the PSU in the front. There is width enough for the power plug and cables. Tight, but enough room.:D
Do they make right-angle plugs? That might make things easier.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this play out.

Do they make right-angle plugs? That might make things easier.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this play out.
Yep they make angled plugs :) And that will be run back to a remote outlet on the hack of the case, so it will essentially function just like another case power plug-wise.

I've molded my own angled power plugs, because premade ones don't always bend in the direction you need them to :)

Really cool and creative stuff. Antec should put you on the SFF dev team. I'd buy that case if it was available.

I have an opposite idea, I want to make my 300 a bit taller, and mock up a front that will hold a 360 rad.

I just had a thought, your case would be perfect for a (somewhat large) NAS or a HTPC, brilliant!

Cool idea! You'll have to extend the front cover. If you end up doing it I can give what I cut out from mine for you to patch in (assuming you use the front cover). :)

this is exactly the same thing i was going to do, i have 2 x antec 300's and i was going to chop one up like you did to house 3 rows of 5 hard drives...it'd sit below my other antec 300 server.

it looks amazing!

this is exactly the same thing i was going to do, i have 2 x antec 300's and i was going to chop one up like you did to house 3 rows of 5 hard drives...it'd sit below my other antec 300 server.

it looks amazing!

I've thought of the same thing, but a stand alone water cooling setup rather than a stack of HDDs. I've got some scraps left over, I though about making a matching drawer for accessories and whatnot for it to sit on while in the office. Or maybe even a travel container for the UPS and cables, etc. :)

Wow, I was debating this type mod. I did not know what to do with the front panel. Cutting the plastic will be interesting. Interested to see what you decide to do.

I've thought of the same thing, but a stand alone water cooling setup rather than a stack of HDDs. I've got some scraps left over, I though about making a matching drawer for accessories and whatnot for it to sit on while in the office. Or maybe even a travel container for the UPS and cables, etc. :)

either way it looks amazing, right now i only have 6 drives, i can fit 10 drives in my antec 300, i'm going to build the chopped case that houses 15 drives, for the future (hard drives are expensive, about $70 for each 2tb drive, multiplied by 15, i'm looking at a little over $1000)

i decided on this idea because my friend wanted me to go through the standard way, which is getting a NORCO 24 bay case, which looks bland and pretty ugly.

this is a much better approach, even if it costs around the same money, if not a little bit more...

Now that my other case mod/fab project is completed I will jump back on this one. Just keepn' it alive. ;)

Back