Microsoft 15 Year-Old Boy Faces File-Sharing Prosecution

HardOCP News

[H] News
Get caught sharing a movie or two online and your ass is going to jail! Quit whining, no one cares if you are only 15. :eek:

A 15 year-old from Sweden is facing prosecution after sharing movies online. The boy was tracked on file-sharing networks by so-far unnamed “international” film companies. While his alleged actions are clearly illegal, this kind of legal action against a teenager makes little sense and is a PR failure ready to happen.

It's odd it seems to me the film companies are the only ones monitoring these activities, I once had a friend named Eye who torrented loads of games but the only letter EYE received referenced the one movie Eye happened to download among hundreds of games... but then Eye realized it was probably a ploy from a lawyer to get me to pay him for something I would never be charged with, like in the John Doe 1-5000 cases...

So are the service providers only sending the movie download information to the producers, or are the game publishers just not doing anything? How else did the lawyer know Eye downloaded that movie?

Eye don't know.

But this is not a PR failure, this is a PR success story.

The whole idea is to use fear to obtain compliance. So you take a 15 year old, you nail him to a cross, and you put it in town square for all to see. That will definitely make all the other 15 year old kids out there reconsider torrenting.

After all, the main reason people don't break down the window of Best Buy and walk out with TVs is not a question of morality, but a question of risk vs reward. The risk of getting your face smashed in by a cop and then being tasered and pepper sprayed and being thrown in jail to become some big skinhead's girlfriend for a few years only to be released and find that you have no employment options as an ex-con kind of outweighs the nice plasma screen.

The boy was tracked on file-sharing networks by so-far unnamed “international” film companies.

Not sure about Sweden, but anyone in the US has the right to face their accuser(s). Fucking lawyers...

So what does this have to do with Microsoft again?

Also noticed that, absolutely nothing.

So is it legal for ISPs to provide publishers and producers someones information? I thought all that information was private.

was wondering the same thing!

Death Penalty? Are you friggin kidding?! His whole family should be slaughtered!

Go back in time and dispose of his grand parent before they have his parets! That will teach him!

should just nuke the whole country, then they wont share movies for sure! lol

It's odd it seems to me the film companies are the only ones monitoring these activities, I once had a friend named Eye who torrented loads of games but the only letter EYE received referenced the one movie Eye happened to download among hundreds of games... but then Eye realized it was probably a ploy from a lawyer to get me to pay him for something I would never be charged with, like in the John Doe 1-5000 cases...

So are the service providers only sending the movie download information to the producers, or are the game publishers just not doing anything? How else did the lawyer know Eye downloaded that movie?

Youre Eye ploy failed towards the end there.

Not suprised about 15. It's the grandmas that suprise me, but even that is fading.

And the rest of the world would have gotten away with it if it weren't for that meddling kid...

Youre Eye ploy failed towards the end there.

Not suprised about 15. It's the grandmas that suprise me, but even that is fading.

hahaha i know i tried to edit it but then realized it was a news thread and there was no going back :mad: ive been hiding in the closet with my laptop waiting for the feds to show up ever since

That or just give Sweden back to Denmark, we are running out of space here.

On a serious note, Hollywood could learn from China and their mobile execution vehicles.

Kill the child. Will scare all the rest into complete obedience.

Fuck that nuke the whole world. Then no one can share movies anymore..Oh wait then no one can watch them either :D

Back