Microsoft Reports Record Third-Quarter Results

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft Corp. today announced third-quarter revenue of $16.43 billion for the quarter ended Mar. 31, 2011, a 13% increase from the same period of the prior year. Operating income, net income, and diluted earnings per share for the quarter were $5.71 billion, $5.23 billion, and $0.61 per share, which represented increases of 10%, 31%, and 36%, respectively, when compared with the prior year period. Diluted earnings per share included a $0.05 tax benefit primarily related to an agreement with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service to settle a portion of their audit of tax years 2004 to 2006.

Apple posted huge 3Q profits and was so heavily bought that trading had to be halted. I'm sure on the other hand that Microsoft's record profits will be met by talking heads all agreeing with one another that the company is washed up and Ballmer clearly needs to leave the company because...well because they're not Apple. :rolleyes:

and yet the stock will forever remain at $25. Maybe when they ditch the windows name and legacy support they can start actually innovating again.

They've been posting record quarterly profits for over a year now.

And yet after every record profit, their stock tanks. Makes no fucking sense to me.

and yet the stock will forever remain at $25. Maybe when they ditch the windows name and legacy support they can start actually innovating again.

If they killed legacy support, and it didn't work out for them, they'd be dead in the water. Not worth the risks, considering how successful they are (in everything but stock price...)

MSFT has 8.9 billion outstanding shares, AAPL has 900 million.

this. you cant move the share price much with that many shares. I'd much rather they continue to make money than play the volatile stock price.

whats funny is apple made almost 2 billion more in net profit - forgot to add that

Apple posted huge 3Q profits and was so heavily bought that trading had to be halted. I'm sure on the other hand that Microsoft's record profits will be met by talking heads all agreeing with one another that the company is washed up and Ballmer clearly needs to leave the company because...well because they're not Apple. :rolleyes:

Sorry we only post negative Apple articles in here :D

MSFT has 8.9 billion outstanding shares, AAPL has 900 million.

That doesn't really explain to me why Microsoft's stock shares DROP after every quarterly revenue call where they announce a new record profit.

It's one thing to have more outstanding shares, but different when it consistently drops in stock price after every earnings call where they announce a new record profit. :confused:

whats funny is apple made almost 2 billion more in net profit - forgot to add that

But that had to bring in a lot more revenue to do it, Microsoft is very profitable. The stock price is the stock price, Microsoft pays a decent dividend and that's why you buy it. And lets not forget that Microsoft experienced exponential growth years ago, far beyond Apple's,

You buy MS for diversification and stability? Like owning IBM. It might not swing huge any one day, but its stable.

You buy Apple...well...I hope not now. But if you did previously, props to you.

I think it's because turning a bigger profit each year in todays economy is the same as just staying afloat, given the price increases in EVERYTHING else (such as healthcare, materials, utilities...etc.) If they had posted the same numbers as last year they would have lost money.

Yup. Earnings for this quarter come out tomorrow.

Ha, I saw that was when it was slated for release and thought Steve somehow landed some breaking news. No wonder I couldn't find a headline anywhere else, I was trying Google news, Bloomberg, CNN...

That doesn't really explain to me why Microsoft's stock shares DROP after every quarterly revenue call where they announce a new record profit.

It's one thing to have more outstanding shares, but different when it consistently drops in stock price after every earnings call where they announce a new record profit. :confused:

Money + Greed = Insanity

Back