Android Targeted By SMS-Grabbing Malware

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Malware disguised as Kaspersky Lab’s Mobile Security 9 is targeting Android devices. The imposter malware even looks similar to the legitimate security application until examined closely. Like all of these disguised applications, the only way to stay protected is through common sense and diligent examination of what you are downloading.

"In the background, the application installs a broadcast receiver that attempts to intercept SMS messages and send them to a Web server set up by the attacker."

lol. I can't say that I'm surprised.

There has to be a better way for google to deal with this type of stuff. It's not helping the brand image when soccer moms and other regular folks (non-nerds) start reading about the prevalence of malware on Android every couple of months.

I've yet to read about this type of thing happening on iOS, Windows Phone 7 or RIM devices

lol. I can't say that I'm surprised.

There has to be a better way for google to deal with this type of stuff. It's not helping the brand image when soccer moms and other regular folks (non-nerds) start reading about the prevalence of malware on Android every couple of months.

I've yet to read about this type of thing happening on iOS, Windows Phone 7 or RIM devices

iOS and BlackBerrys are locked down. It's secure, until you realize it only takes a few hours for an iOS device to be jailbroken. Android devices are already open, and require intelligence to avoid malware. The same goes for your Windows or Mac computer.

Android users have to protect themselves, cause the device is very open. iOS users are trying to hack their devices, cause it's too closed. Which is a better device for you will depend on how much common sense you have. ;)

Yeah unfortunately google should be approving apps for their store and limiting marketplaces...

They obviously shouldn't be approving apps based on content like Apple, but rather security instead.

iOS and BlackBerrys are locked down. It's secure, until you realize it only takes a few hours for an iOS device to be jailbroken. Android devices are already open, and require intelligence to avoid malware. The same goes for your Windows or Mac computer.

Android users have to protect themselves, cause the device is very open. iOS users are trying to hack their devices, cause it's too closed. Which is a better device for you will depend on how much common sense you have. ;)

Few hours? Go to http://www.jailbreakme.com/ on your iPhone, tap the Install button, that's it. It takes a whopping 5-10 seconds.

There has to be a better way for google to deal with this type of stuff.
There is: fix market. Anyone can put stuff up there and Google doesn't even look at it unless it gets reported. If it's getting reported, it's already too late.

iOS and BlackBerrys are locked down. It's secure, until you realize it only takes a few hours for an iOS device to be jailbroken.
I don't think being locked down has anything to do with it. If open systems were "less secure", then linux users would be flooded with malware -- and they're not. You have to trust the app "locker". If you can't trust it, don't install it.
There are way too many apps on Google's Market that are obvious malware. Until they implement some sort of restrictions for making apps available, this isn't going to change.

There is: fix market. Anyone can put stuff up there and Google doesn't even look at it unless it gets reported. If it's getting reported, it's already too late.

As a developer I call that a *HUGE* advantage of Android Market. The last thing I want is Google curating the Market.

Fortunately, with Android you have a choice - feel free to install the Amazon market if you want, instead.

I don't think being locked down has anything to do with it. If open systems were "less secure", then linux users would be flooded with malware -- and they're not. You have to trust the app "locker". If you can't trust it, don't install it.
There are way too many apps on Google's Market that are obvious malware. Until they implement some sort of restrictions for making apps available, this isn't going to change.

Or in this case, if some random app asks for permission to access the internet and read your SMS messages, don't fucking install it unless you trust it. Every app tells you exactly what it can do, take 20 seconds and actually read the list.

Look at who's running linux, and look at who is running android because the phone was 99 cents.

Security through obscurity very much applies to linux.

Back