Connecticut AG Questions Groupon Coupons

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Attorney General for the state of Connecticut says Groupon coupons may violate state law. Thanks to everyone that sent this one in.

Jepsen said in a statement on Thursday that he is asking Groupon, the largest online daily deal company, for more information about its business practices because of concerns the expiration dates imposed on some offers sold in Connecticut may violate state law pertaining to gift certificates.

I thought that the fact that if you don't use it by the expiration date you still get the dollar valued paid kind of gives them a legal out.

I get a billioin emails a week from these asshats, and I can't make it stop.

Sliding my rock over and taking a peak out. What the heck is a Groupon and why, if at all, would I want one? Dang nab it your going to make me have to read the darn article.

Nah, I'm just going to go with my first thought and think it has something to do with feminine hygiene and leave well enough alone.

Sliding my rock over and taking a peak out. What the heck is a Groupon and why, if at all, would I want one? Dang nab it your going to make me have to read the darn article.

Nah, I'm just going to go with my first thought and think it has something to do with feminine hygiene and leave well enough alone.

A simple google search or going to Groupon would of solved that problem.

Easy terms: Website that get a good extremely low deal from a local business. Say a T-Shirt is normally 20 dollars. Well Groupon has the coupon that makes it 5 dollars. X amount of people join in, and if it hits a certain amount, the deal is on.

I thought that the fact that if you don't use it by the expiration date you still get the dollar valued paid kind of gives them a legal out.

It should, but it might take a test case to find out for sure.

I'm guessing the AG has nothing better to do than harass a company that clearly lays out the details of the deal. Protecting dumb citizens shouldn't necessarily take priority over protecting all citizens.

Blame state law and whoever passed it, not the AG who is simply doing their job, presumably because someone reported it to them.

Groupon is such a scam for businesses. Groupon takes a 40-60% cut of the discounted price of the product or service. So if your regular price is $200, the company nets $50.

Back