Opera Browser Staying in the Quick Release Browser Race

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Last week Opera released version 11.50 and has quickly been followed up with the announcement of the next version named Wahoo. This is basically a preview of what is to come, effectively keeping Opera’s hat in the rapid deployment ring. Opera 12 is described as a pre-beta designed to preview what is next on deck.

I don't mind the idea behind a rapid release schedule, I just hate the ever inflating version number.

I don't mind the idea behind a rapid release schedule, I just hate the ever inflating version number.

x2. They (including Google and Mozilla) might as well switch over to the YYYY-MM-DD method of versioning or go back to point-releases for minor updates.

It its dumb. Firefox basically said that are doing it to keep up with the larger version numbers on chrome. I care about content and quality...not version number.

I"m a recovering rabid Opera fan. I use Firefox at work but only out of necessity. Lately, Chrome is my goto browser. With a speed dial extension, adblock, mouse gestures and notes I'm good to go and it still performs better than the rest. I grew tired of Opera not working right with many websites.

Browsers are free.

So naming every 0.1v revision a 1.0v is possible.

Where as with Windows, if Windows 7 SP1 was called Windows 8, there would be mass outrage.

This is just another thing we the enlightened have to deal with while the big corporations attempt to brainwash the masses.

I wish Opera on Mac OSes would have proper support for the trackpad. Scrolling is still too fast.

Every time I open up Opera, it asks me if I want to update. Well, not every time but darn close. It's still a good browser because it saves all of my tabs after I close it.

Browsers are free.

So naming every 0.1v revision a 1.0v is possible.

Where as with Windows, if Windows 7 SP1 was called Windows 8, there would be mass outrage.

This is just another thing we the enlightened have to deal with while the big corporations attempt to brainwash the masses.

So make a good point but I really think that browser version numbering has gotten ridiculous as the only purpose is to make change look more rapid than it really is.

So make a good point but I really think that browser version numbering has gotten ridiculous as the only purpose is to make change look more rapid than it really is.

I really want to love Opera, I really do. I try it about once a week but its so buggy and displays so many webpages all whacked out that I always wind up back on Firefox.

Went to try it yesterday and the fucking icon is gone! The program and shortcut are still there but the icon is blank. How the hell does a program lose its icon?! Even shows a blank icon in the system tray when it was opened up. I just closed it and shook my head.

Menu > Appearance > Toolbars (v11 at least) ; trial and error and you may be able to have an omnipresent
author mode=user mode toggle on one of them[1], that makes unusable pages usable again usually,
sometimes even more useful than if they displayed correctly to begin with. OTOH 11.01 > 11.50
seemed to make many sites that were displayed poorly, way better.
[1] more information in previous threads

The current version of Opera is called 11.5, so it doesn't look like Opera is inflating the number like Chrome and Firefox.

Firefox basically said that are doing it to keep up with the larger version numbers on chrome.
What? That's news to me. Source, please!

I really want to love Opera, I really do. I try it about once a week but its so buggy and displays so many webpages all whacked out that I always wind up back on Firefox.
Sounds like you have a broken installation. Have you scanned for viruses and malware lately?

Yeah, I do a MSE full system scan every Sunday and run Malwarebytes couple times a month. All my other browsers work fine, its just Opera that's acting up. My Opera Mobile is starting to act up too. Keeps shutting down and.when you exit out of a text box, everything you entered disappears.

just wish they fix the tab stack bug when trying to clone an tab or make an new one (it puts the tab out side of the stacked tab when i told opera that i want new tabs to be placed next to Active it was fine in 11.11 they broke it in 11.50)

other useful option to tick is show Full URL in address bar (was bugging me that was not been able to see all of the URL with out clicking on it, do not fully get why they implemented that i prefer the way IE did it and greyed out the rest of the URL you could see it and still read it)

Sounds like you have a broken installation. Have you scanned for viruses and malware lately?

Opera is notorious for needing workarounds and fixes to do things the way other browsers do them.

The current version of Opera is called 11.5, so it doesn't look like Opera is inflating the number like Chrome and Firefox.
Opera was originally released in 1994. That's an average of over a year per major release, roughly equivalent to Firefox before this whole version-stacking began.

i think opera has been fine once version 10 came i not had had that many crashes (norm due to the site any way) rendering web sites again from 10 none issue unless the web site maker makes it there problem to make the page Not work under opera (opera just reports it self as IE or Firefox via the user-agent then site works norm Opera has an list of sites that are auto set to IE just because the site is lame)

but i had No issue with sites for the last year

Opera is notorious for needing workarounds and fixes to do things the way other browsers do them.
I'm not sure how this is relevant to what I wrote. I do not have the problems he is describing, and I have certainly not used any workarounds. If he is having these problems, that tells me that there is a problem on his end, because I certainly can't see them. And it's not like my Opera installation is magical or anything.

Opera was originally released in 1994. That's an average of over a year per major release, roughly equivalent to Firefox before this whole version-stacking began.
Opera 12 is apparently going to have hardware acceleration, the new html5 parser and a whole bunch of major new features. Sounds to me like the version number accurately reflects these major changes.

Surely you are not suggesting that they should artificially limit the version bump when there are major changes?

I am still trying to figure out a couple of things; 1) Why does anyone use opera? 2) as per point 1, why is opera news worthy? I think the only browser that might be worse is AOL and Juno's integrated garbage..:D

ehh, just let 'em version it however they want. It's probably just the marketing team's fragile egos that require that silliness... humour them, they don't got much else

I am still trying to figure out a couple of things; 1) Why does anyone use opera? 2) as per point 1, why is opera news worthy? I think the only browser that might be worse is AOL and Juno's integrated garbage..:D
Why does anyone use Chrome? Why does anyone use Firefox? Could it be that people use the browser of their choice because they feel that it is the best choice for them?

The worst kind of fanboy is the one that can't even fathom that anyone might have a different opinion from his...

ehh, just let 'em version it however they want. It's probably just the marketing team's fragile egos that require that silliness... humour them, they don't got much else
Are you talking about Firefox now?

Because Opera is the fastest browser available in a lot of tests?

Personally, I like Opera but web page incompatibility and ESPECIALLY the click to activate flash controls makes me not use it.

I keep hearing about Opera's speed but it doesnt work that way on my setup. It was slower than Firefox, IE9 and Chrome when I had a 6MB DSL connection and now that Ive got a 10MB fiberoptic connection, its still the slowest. IE9 and Chrome are the fastest on my system. Maybe Opera is very sensitive to different types of internet connections or something.

I'm not sure how this is relevant to what I wrote. I do not have the problems he is describing, and I have certainly not used any workarounds. If he is having these problems, that tells me that there is a problem on his end, because I certainly can't see them. And it's not like my Opera installation is magical or anything.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you. And I know that a lot of people also use their default installations of Opera perfectly happily. But a lot of other people do want (or need) fixes to get their installation to work the way they want.

Opera 12 is apparently going to have hardware acceleration, the new html5 parser and a whole bunch of major new features. Sounds to me like the version number accurately reflects these major changes.

Surely you are not suggesting that they should artificially limit the version bump when there are major changes?
I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. Reading comprehension?

I am still trying to figure out a couple of things; 1) Why does anyone use opera? 2) as per point 1, why is opera news worthy? I think the only browser that might be worse is AOL and Juno's integrated garbage..
1) For me, Opera is faster than any other browser on my systems. On my desktop, where all my browsers are on SSD, only Chrome matches Opera's startup time of ~1s. IE9 is next, ~2.5-3s, and Firefox? The slowest of the lot. Opening tabs, closing tabs, program animations, etc. all run faster on Opera than all other browsers I have (except for Chrome, sometimes) and I stay away from Chrome because I hate the interface and process and memory management. Plus, Opera has a lot of features that I find useful, straight out of the box, as well as extensions.

On my laptop, without an SSD, the difference is even more amount.

2) News is...new.

I keep hearing about Opera's speed but it doesnt work that way on my setup. It was slower than Firefox, IE9 and Chrome when I had a 6MB DSL connection and now that Ive got a 10MB fiberoptic connection, its still the slowest. IE9 and Chrome are the fastest on my system. Maybe Opera is very sensitive to different types of internet connections or something.
It's weird how browsers perform so differently on other people's setups.

I use these 3 browsers:

Chrome for speed.

IE9 for website compatibility.

Opera for integration of many many things, not available in any other browser.

Firefox... I have no need for it whatsoever.

I tried Opera 3 or 4 times, each a different release, including the last mainstream version before whatever is out now. Each time I was...I dunno - not quite disappointed, but something like it. It wasn't a "bad" browser, really - and it was just as fast as any other browser to me (without doing benchmarks), but it just never drew me in like Firefox or Chrome did. It had lots of customization features, but not in the same way that Firefox did.

I enjoy Chrome and its lightweight overall feel, as well as its simplicity. I hate its lack of customization options, though, graphical interface wise. Sure colors can be changed or a backdrop added to the standard design/shape, but I can't get it to look "how I want" like I can with Firefox. If Chrome had the interface customization options of Firefox, there's a big chance I'd go with Chrome. Although I'm not firm on that because last time I ran some comparisons, Chrome used quite a bit more memory than Firefox did with the same amount of tabs opened and same videos being watched...the thing about that, though, is that Chrome only had two extensions running (exif viewer, smooth scroll) and FF had countless add-ons running (stylish and a bunch of tweaks, other GUI add-ons, exif viewer, smooth scrolling, Adblock [DISABLED ON HOCP AND HARDFORUM!], omnibar, and a bunch of others)

This latest Opera release, though...meh, it's not even on my "to try out" list. They gotta do something amazing to get me to ditch Chrome/FF.

I keep hearing about Opera's speed but it doesnt work that way on my setup. It was slower than Firefox, IE9 and Chrome when I had a 6MB DSL connection and now that Ive got a 10MB fiberoptic connection, its still the slowest.
In what way? If you are relying on these "speed test" sites, they aren't exactly reliable.

And I know that a lot of people also use their default installations of Opera perfectly happily. But a lot of other people do want (or need) fixes to get their installation to work the way they want.
Yep. But that's the way it is for all browsers. Or all applications, even. One of the most common pieces of advice over at MozillaZine is to reset your profile if there are problems.

Looks are deceiving, as they say. Chrome actually has a significantly larger footprint than Firefox. In fact, Chrome's own developers are worried about the bloat in Chrome, and want to reduce it.

Well don't forget about the rest of my post where I said:

last time I ran some comparisons, Chrome used quite a bit more memory than Firefox did with the same amount of tabs opened and same videos being watched...the thing about that, though, is that Chrome only had two extensions running (exif viewer, smooth scroll) and FF had countless add-ons running (stylish and a bunch of tweaks, other GUI add-ons, exif viewer, smooth scrolling, Adblock [DISABLED ON HOCP AND HARDFORUM!], omnibar, and a bunch of others)

;)

When I say "Chrome and its lightweight overall feel", I mean just that; even with a larger memory footprint, it still ran as snappy for me as FF did (8Gb of RAM usually makes browsing feel 'snappy' no matter how much more memory one browser uses over the other). Also what I was mainly referring to was Chrome's default, lightweight minimalist interface. I love how minimal it is by default, and it looks nice. What keeps me with FF, though, is the fact that I can use add-ons to make it look just as minimal as Chrome, if not WAY more minimal, all while keeping memory usage at a minimum.

Don't worry, fellow interwebz dweller - it's Firefox for me until Chrome works out some issues. :)

Back