Apple's App Store Hits 15 Billion Downloads

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple Corporation’s bragging rights are growing with the announcement on Friday of hitting 15 Billion downloads from the AppStore. The store has 425K App choices and achieved one Billion downloads last month alone. Whatever your feelings about Apple Corp and their products, you have to give the company mad props for the successes.

Android is the closest, but if the App Store's popularity keeps accelerating it may take years for Google to overtake Jobs & Co.

Too bad 75% of those downloads are akin to those featured here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe-Y-zSd5gs"]YouTube - ‪Smartphone, dumb things - New GEICO Commercial‬‏[/ame]

Big deal!

Wake me up when every app doesn't need to be approved for Apple friendliness. Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy the freedom that Android provides and the amount of free apps on the Android Marketplace.

iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches all downloading from the same pool. I'm not surprised the numbers are that high.

With android in the ring, i'd be interested in seeing which will be downloaded more. $1 dumb apps, or ad based dumb apps.

Big deal!

Wake me up when every app doesn't need to be approved for Apple friendliness. Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy the freedom that Android provides and the amount of free apps on the Android Marketplace.

Yes, damn them for their quality control! :rolleyes:

And are you suggesting that Apple doesn't offer free apps?

Haters gonna hate. :cool:

I don't give a crap if the iStore has 1 million apps, or that Android Market has 500,000. I just want a few really good ones.

I don't give a crap if the iStore has 1 million apps, or that Android Market has 500,000. I just want a few really good ones.

Well luckily not only does the ios platform have the most apps, but they are by far the best quality due to near homogenous hardware. Most apps on the android marketplace have people saying "this doesn't work on xxx" or "this crashes on xyz". When app devs can focus more on the app itself as opposed to compatibility, you get better apps.

Back